“Nice hotel, peace and quiet yet right at The Bund”
Review of Riverview Hotel

Riverview Hotel
Ranked #194 of 5,161 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed September 3, 2013

The hotel is not on the main road, which for me is good since it is not noisy even though it is exactly at The Bund, rather at the tail end of the Bund, but still it's a plus for me and my family especially after a long day of walking and sight seeing in places where there are so much traffic ( vehicles as well as people). We walk from the hotel to the main attraction of the bund in mere minutes and from nanjing road to hotel we only ride a taxi in which we only pay 17 yuan. Actually, if you are a walker, you can actually reach nanjing road by foot! Also, it's just. 15 minutes walk( if you are a fast walker) from the hotel to the Yuyuan Garden. Also, food in the hotel is quiet inexpensive and very good! We had our breakfast and practically dinner, at the hotel but if you need some incidentals such as water and other toiletries, there's a small convenience store beside the hotel's back gate own by a young couple who sells basically what a traveller needs even bread and canned drinks! The lady owner can communicate fairly well in English and the couple are very accommodating.

Room Tip: Get the room good for three people, it's quiet big and can actually fit 4! Also, choose rooms on...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank lomty

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed at this hotel on a 2-day visit to Shanghai. Looks rather seedy but it is much better inside.

It is a short walk - 10 min - from the Nanjing Rd East subway.
The rooms are big and well equipped. Wifi is spotty. Use the LAN access.

The surrounding area - one block from the hotel towards the direction of Nanjing Road Station - has lots of local restaurants.

Nearby - about 20 minutes walk - is the wholesale market for clothes. I wouldn't go there as it is very crowded. Great for those who love shopping.

If I am in for a short trip, I will stay at this hotel again if the rates are reasonable. I paid $50 a night all in using an online booking agency. Anything higher, I would rather stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We stayed at this hotel as a party of 4 (in two rooms) as part of a stopover on the way to Europe.

The entrance to the hotel is down a driveway and totally uninspiring and I must say I was disappointed to not be greeted in the slightest manner on arrival.

After being awake for 38 hours and a 13 hour flight from New Zealand you can imagine we were looking forward to getting to our room and having a rest.

Arriving at 8:40am at the hotel I did not expect to get into the room but was gob smacked when the person on reception told me I could not check in before 9:30am. Even at that time outside was hellishly hot so we ended up hanging around the hotel till the magic time. So I waited patiently in line again, and I went through the long process of checking in only to be told that the rooms were not ready. We got into our rooms just after 1pm.

The rooms are quite nice and spacious, but even though I had specifically asked for a high room (thanks trippers) I did not get one and you guessed it, no river view. Too tired to argue, I just wanted a bed. Yes the bed....looks nice.....has the consistency of concrete! It was the hardest bed I have ever slept on in a hotel.

The bathroom was nice and had an interesting feature a bath with a widow to the bedroom ....I guess this is to look at the river view...we did not have?

Apart from the hard beds and the lack of control for the air conditioning (and believe me you need it there) the rooms are very nice.

The hotel it'self seemed to me to be a bit of a ghost hotel as I saw very few other guests.

I allowed half an hour for check out and I needed every second of that. There was only one other person checking out and they interrogated him. This is what they do....you start the check out and they actually send someone up to check your room, while you wait to see if everything is there. Apparently this chap had the plastic laundry bag ( a heinous crime) and to prove he did not he ended up empting in case on the reception desk! While I was checking out I entertained myself watching the porter fall asleep in the chair beside reception.

So in a nutshell, the reception and welcome is appalling, the hotel is quite nice, location is pretty good, but the beds are as hard as concrete and there is no control of the air-conditioning.

Would I recommend this Hotel?....NO

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 18, 2013

The Hotel is just a 5-minutes walk to The Bund.
And around 3-minutes walk to The Cool Docks.
Its also a short walk to The Yu Yuan Garden.
And thus, making this a hotel a good choice on the basis of location and price.

If you want to check out the local cheap dining area, its also walking distance.
You will see the area as you travel going to Yu Yuan Garden.
You can buy here affordable and fresh food and have it cooked as you order.

We booked a Superior Room last December 2012.
And we received a good service and a good room.
Plus, it has an amazing view in the morning and at night.

And since its a Christmas season, the hotel has cute Christmas decors.

more info at charriesjourney(dot)com.

Room Tip: Choose a room with "The Bund" view
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Stayed at the Riverview Hotel in May 2013. Price paid for the room was a good value in my opinion. Did not purchase the breakfast buffet. Location is a 20 minute walk down the river from the main "Bund" area. Metro station is about a 15 minute walk. Close to Yuyuan Garden. Temps were not so high outside, highest was 25 degrees Celsius, but the air conditioning never made the room cool. Some comments say the room was large and the bathroom was great with tub/shower, this was not my experience. The room size was OK with one queen bed which was like sleeping on a piece of wood, a chair for sitting and a small bathroom with toilet and shower stall, then the sink outside the bathroom. Stayed on the 12th floor and had a partially obstructed view of the river. Room had a 50 cm high refrigerator that was not well stocked by hotel so lots of room for your own beverages.

Positives: Value for price paid, location, room in the fridge for my own beverages, free wi-fi with good connection speed

Negatives: Bed was much too firm, water pressure was not so good, air conditioner never cooled room

Recommendation: Email hotel for a taxi card before arriving

Warning: Limited English spoken by staff, Spa employee stated the spa offers "special lady massage" which might offend some, security deposit on the room was 4000 RMB but could be held on a credit card

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank rcaustin9161
Reviewed May 11, 2013

I stayed at the Riverview Hotel again in April. Now April is not a particularly warm month, but I found the room uncomfortably warm. In fact, I was unable to sleep it was so warm.

The Riverview deems the proper temperature for its guests and you have no individual control in the room. Attached is a photo of the thermostat in my room. It shows 31 degrees C / 88 degrees F.

According to the sign next to the thermostat, "Air conditioning temperature adjustment by the air speed". So your only option is the speed of the fan: you can have hot air come out slowly or quickly!

The only option for not sweltering in the room is to open the window. But there is a big construction project next door that is noisy and dusty.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Roams-A-Lot
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Just arrived back from Shanghai. Enjoyed the stay at this hotel and the room was lovely and very spacious. Very large bathroom with shower and bath. I found the bed to be a bit firmer than I like but still comfortable. The downside is there is no bar service after 9.00 pm and we had to go outside to another hotel to find a drinks bar. It is quite close and within a few minutes walking distance of the bund. The quality of the food at breakfast was average. There is air conditioning in the room and tea and coffee making facilities. There is also a safe located within the walk-in wardrobes and ironing board and iron. Overall it is value for money.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends