“Agree with positive reviews”

The Longemont Shanghai
Ranked #90 of 4,998 Hotels in Shanghai
Melbourne, Australia
“Agree with positive reviews”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

Our business partner booked me into this hotel for my first trip to Shanghai. I as very impressed on arrival, but be warned it's a massive high rise and if you like rooms close to the ground in case of fire go somewhere else! It is very modern, but lacks warmth and teh food/beverage outlets are uninspiring. The rooms are great though with a large bathroom, good beds and all the mod cons. Not too sure about the location, it seemed to be surrounded by commercial buildings with not many entertainment options. I'll go back.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

I spent four nights here as part of a business trip. The hotel itself is very nice, the rooms are large with marble bathrooms, good amenities, etc. I believe it used to be The Regent some years ago. The breakfast buffet is extensive and will satisfy both western and Asian tastes.
The location is not the best for tourism but literally next to the highway so quite good for business. My biggest complaint was the lack of English spoken by the staff. I'm not expecting fluency by any means, but most of the staff don't speak even a few words. I tried to eat at both the Italian and Chinese restaurants in the hotel the first night but finally left because none of the staff could determine that I just wanted a menu. I finally left and ate at the Szechuan restaurant next door which was excellent. Overall a nice hotel for business despite the few hiccups.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013 via mobile

Modern rooms with free Internet. Bed was comfortable with soft pillows. Breakfast spread could be better but has that a business traveller needs. Best part is that for the price it makes The Longemont a very attractive proposition.

Note to travelers about the TAXI service. All legal taxis in Shanghai have a meter which prints receipts. Always insist on using the meter. On this trip, I took the Meglev to the city and wanted to get a taxi to the hotel. Upon entering the taxi, the driver wanted to charge me a flat rate of nearly 3 times what the normal fair would be!

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

Traveling extensively, this Hotel is a Gem, and compare it to some of the higher priced properties in Shanghai, even more so. Service is always good. Check in efficient especially in China where getting your passport and papers organized and documented can be laborious. Concierge and Lobby staff friendly but not bothersome. Always a manager on duty with a watchful eye.

Food at the hotel can be very good. The sushi bar on the second floor is outstanding, service can be a little slow but the food is on par with any of the top sushi places in Shanghai for much less cost. The Italian Amici I think, is fair to good. Don't try anything adventurous as the kitchen mays not have the culinary knowledge to pull it off. Usual fare is good, there are better Italian places in shanghai but if you don't want to go out, it's serviceable. Chinese offering is very good. The highlight is the Sunday brunch, outstanding, stone crabs, caviar, oysters, prosciutto carving table, I don't need to go on, little pricing at 298 for the food portion but if your hungry, craving western and not eating until much later, a must. The lobby bar is very good. Just make sure the staff fully understands your order. The tea service is excellent and overall atmosphere is very good. The only thing I would do is skip breakfast and go see the little cafe behind the summit service apartments diagonal from the entrance. It's a little bakery and code shop with great coffee and egg and cheese sandwich. No need for the breakfast buffet. Nice lady runs it.

Pool and gym are great especially if your a gym rat. Lots of modern equipment, plenty of English channels, nice view and friendly staff. Locker rooms spotless, and nice steam, sauna and whirlpool. The pool is excellent for laps and good Sunday morning chill out area with chaise lounges.

Rooms are large, comfortable and very clean. Very good wireless and laundry service. I had a suite last time that was bigger than my first apartment in NYC.

If your staying in shanghai, don't mind taking a taxi to the Bund, this is a no brainer.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank John L
Vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

I spent 5 nights at the Longemont at the end of February beginning of March. The reason I call it a business hotel is because it's not in an especially touristy area. However, it charges a very good rate with breakfast and WiFi included.

Check in works pretty well but it being China sometimes it isn't as orderly as you would expect because there isn't an obvious line to form given the oval shape of the reception desk. After checking in you can go up one of 6 elevators that are very quick. No long waiting either going up or down.

I had a standard room and it was particularly nice. If you have an xx01 or xx27 you get an end room that is more square than rectangular. A nice king bed, couch and desk area. The flat screen TV is integrated into the far wall. The closet is a decent size but not huge. Includes an iron and ironing board. There's even a make up area for the ladies where you can find the pouch containing the hair dryer.

The washroom is nice with a water closet, round glass shower with shower bar head and rain shower head. A roman tub is on the opposite wall. The vanity includes a vessel sync. All in all a nicely appointed washroom. The water in the shower can be a bit finicky but it does have good water pressure and flow.

The WiFi is relatively strong but the data speeds are on the slower side. It was fine for email but was a bit slow in loading anything else especially video. Was able to use it for a VoIP call on my iPhone via the WiFi though.

The overall property is fairly well maintained. No glaring oversights. The hotel has quite a few restaurants. The Japanese one is only okay and it's expensive so beware. The cafe for breakfast is quite expansive and takes up a large part of the second floor.

The included breakfast buffet is quite impressive. It has North American style, Chinese style and European style foods. There's a whole area of different breads and buns, fresh fruit, cereals and oatmeal. There's a made to order omelette bar as well. The Chinese breakfast includes a couple different types of congee, steamed buns and various Chinese hot dishes. There's even a noodle bar that changes the noodle type every day. All in all an excellent breakfast buffet.

The Longemont is a great value among the hyper expensive, 5 - star hotels found in Shanghai.

Room Tip: the xx01 and xx27 rooms are a good shape and different from the other rooms.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Pavia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

I was at the Longemont for a couple of nights. The hotel is wonderful, the rooms are really nice and the breakfast area is really stylish and vast. Excellent selection of food for breakfast.
Unfortunately, when I arrived (late at night) my room reservation had been canceled, even though I wrote them that I would arrive late. After long discussions, I was upgraded to a suite for one night (really a fantastic accommodation), with the promise that I would anyway pay the amount of my regular room. The following day a room was free and I was transfered there. However, at the moment of the checkout I had to explain and re-explain everything for 15 minutes before they accepted to make me pay the promised amount (at first, they charged me the suite... of course!!!)
The hotel is not in a wonderful location, true, although it was not an incredibly long walk to the famous Nanjing Road.
So, overall a very very good experience in a wonderful hotel. I really struggled to be understood by the guys at the receptions, but I accepted it as... folklore. By the way, while I was at the reception trying to convince the guys that I had booked for a very late arrival, there was another guy, much angrier than me, who was screaming like hell (in Chinese language) to the attendants. Seems that it is not just a "language barrier" issue...!

Room Tip: Top-floors suites are marvelous and give you a wonderful sight of Shanghai. They are expensive, thou...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Saint Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

In a city full of luxury hotel chains charging super high prices, Longemont stands out as a hotel that truly delivers good value to its customers.

During my one night stay in January, I got a good deal online and was excited to try this hotel after having browsed through the website. The pictures don't lie. The interiors are well appointed and like most Shanghai hotels, hardware is not an issue. But unlike some hotels, even the software (service) was quite good at this property.

After arriving from Hongqiao Airport, I checked in and was promptly offered my room. The guy standing beside me was not so lucky. He had arrived 2 hours earlier and was waiting for a room even AFTER I got my room key. By the time I headed up to the elevators, he was already writing what seemed to be an angry letter to the GM. Anyway, that's his story to tell.

My room was on the 30th floor and I was greeted with nice views of the Puxi area. The room is spacious and the bathroom was really my favorite part. There was a large tub and a separate shower stall. The bed was also extremely comfortable. I had a great night's sleep. I couldn't figure out whether it was the silky sheets or the alcohol I had consumed that night. Either way, it was good!

The location is ok, but given that it's Shanghai, a lot of other hotels have much better locations. It also depends on what you're in town for.

During my short stay, I tried out the Italian restaurant. They served decent food. My pasta was perfectly al dente and the seasoning was spot on.

Wifi was fast enough for a business traveler. Nothing to complain about there.

Staff were always friendly and ready to help. I wonder if the angry guy next to me at check-in ended up enjoying his stay, but I surely did.

Overall, wonderful rooms with good staff and decent food. There's nothing you can do about the location, but it really wasn't too much of an issue for me.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business