“Wonderful rooms, good staff, decent food, and below average location”

The Longemont Shanghai
Ranked #104 of 5,206 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed February 19, 2013

In a city full of luxury hotel chains charging super high prices, Longemont stands out as a hotel that truly delivers good value to its customers.

During my one night stay in January, I got a good deal online and was excited to try this hotel after having browsed through the website. The pictures don't lie. The interiors are well appointed and like most Shanghai hotels, hardware is not an issue. But unlike some hotels, even the software (service) was quite good at this property.

After arriving from Hongqiao Airport, I checked in and was promptly offered my room. The guy standing beside me was not so lucky. He had arrived 2 hours earlier and was waiting for a room even AFTER I got my room key. By the time I headed up to the elevators, he was already writing what seemed to be an angry letter to the GM. Anyway, that's his story to tell.

My room was on the 30th floor and I was greeted with nice views of the Puxi area. The room is spacious and the bathroom was really my favorite part. There was a large tub and a separate shower stall. The bed was also extremely comfortable. I had a great night's sleep. I couldn't figure out whether it was the silky sheets or the alcohol I had consumed that night. Either way, it was good!

The location is ok, but given that it's Shanghai, a lot of other hotels have much better locations. It also depends on what you're in town for.

During my short stay, I tried out the Italian restaurant. They served decent food. My pasta was perfectly al dente and the seasoning was spot on.

Wifi was fast enough for a business traveler. Nothing to complain about there.

Staff were always friendly and ready to help. I wonder if the angry guy next to me at check-in ended up enjoying his stay, but I surely did.

Overall, wonderful rooms with good staff and decent food. There's nothing you can do about the location, but it really wasn't too much of an issue for me.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank CPA902

Reviewed January 23, 2013

A beautiful and very fine hotel with spacious rooms, great view, wonderful bathrooms with separate showers and a tub that let you watch tv while you soak yourself. It also let you listen to very soft music while you rest.

Room Tip: ask for high floor rooms
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 22, 2013

This was an excellent hotel. The rooms were fantastic, being large and spacious with a glass encased deep tub so you can watch TV and soak at the same time. Really something I need at the end of an exhausting day. Service was also good but 2 grouses: location was far from ideal being nowhere near town, and breakfast although varied was disappointingly poor. I would recommend the hotel for business travellers that may not require a central location.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 21, 2013

My husband travels for work and when in Shanghai stays here, often I will tag along, as we speak very, very little Chinese we have always found all the staff to be very helpful and nothing is too much trouble.
As these are business trips my husband gets the executive package which provides you access to the Club lounge. The ladies who work in the club lounge are wonderful, always smiling, friendly and helpful. You can order from the room service menu and have the food deliver to the lounge and sit and enjoy the free drinks and the view.
It is only a 15 minute walk to Line 2 Metro station Jaingsu Road or the french concession area, which is very convenient for me when I am out by myself, I have never felt unsafe walking around the Hotel and I love to get out and see how the locals live.

Both the Japanese and Italian restaurants are very good and there are a number of local restaurants, convenience stores within a few 15 minute walking area.

I only have one low point of the entire hotel, as I am on holidays when here I like to sleep in, however when my husband gets up and turns the light in the bathroom on it automatically switches on the two reading lights above the bed. We have stayed here a few times and we have never been able to work out how to stop this from happening.

Even if we were not staying here for my husbands work I would stay here for the location, the metro is so easy to use and takes less then 30 minutes to be at The Bund. The Longemont allows you to get as submerged as you want into the Shanghai way of life, a fabulous home away from home.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank kev_deb2012
Reviewed December 21, 2012

I travel to China often and this is my home away from home, good rooms, great gym and pool, plus only 20 minutes to the domestic airport. I always get up graded, what more can I say, well done to the team at The Longemont Shanghai, till next time!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

The excellent starts before you walk in the door. The door staff greets you with vigor. This is followed by extremely pleasant ladies directing to the checkin staffers. Checkin moves quickly, followed by a bell hop delivering your bags to the room. That staffer lets you know all about the room and hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Stayed here at the start of our trip to China , Korea, Taiwan and Hong Kong-- what a spectacular start, modern 5 star we were on the 47th floor of a 58storey hotel--- the gym and pool on the 28th floor was superb. Just take a look at the hotels website to get an idea of the rooms just amazing--Bath with a view over the city !! The attention to detail was faultless I cannot imagine anyone having a negative comment to make-- unless of course you look out of the windows----- the smog in the city is so bad that the view is severely limited -- not the fault of the hotel in any way of course, I had just failed to realise how much a problem the pollution was there.
An excellent choice of location as we had a friend coming to see us and everyone ( ok most people) know the location of this hotel so very good for meetings. I guess it is one of The places to be seen in Shanghai-- which in such a spectacular city is quite an acolade. Certainly one of my all time memories.

Room Tip: Maybe the view is better at around the 30th floor, below the cloud /smog level
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple