“Excellent hotel.”

Ranked #92 of 5,032 Hotels in Shanghai
Ashburton
“Excellent hotel.”
Reviewed October 9, 2011

The Longemont is a great hotel to stay in. We stayed for 5 nights in this 5-star hotel and enjoyed it tremendously.Check-in was a breeze though hotels in China require your passport. The rooms are well appointed and the beds are very comfortable and clean. The bath is worth a soak in. The hotel is away from the shopping areas which in a way is good as it it quiet in the evenings. Most places are easily accessible by taxi. The trick is to get the concierge to write your destination in Chinese and hand that to the taxi driver. Also the staff manning the taxi queue does help to instruct the
taxi driver where to go in Chinese.
We tried the food at the Italian restaurant and Japanese restaurant, both served excellent and authentic food. We also had breakfast at the lobby lounge which has good Western style pastries and cakes.

Room Tip: Rooms above 28 Floor are the better rooms. Try get one of those.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
North Vancouver
Reviewed August 31, 2011

Was very pleased with the nice room - good lighting, modern steel/wood/glass look. The gym is also good - lots of equipment, and on the 26th floor with good views. Didn't use the pool, but thought the glass side right at window was very cool.

Do not go to the "O2 On 2" buffet for dinner - or if you do - ask to check out the food before sitting down. For my evening - where I thought a buffet would be a good way to experience many different types of food - I could not have been more disappointed. Food is kept in covered heaters, with so much moisture/condensation that everything is soggy. Low volume of customers also meant that food looked old, and many of the sauces had crusted over from time. The sushi - terrible quality to begin with was warm, and the roast lamb was cold. Seriously, there was nothing good. I noted this complaint to the manager, who apologized, and sent chocolates to the room, but did not take the cost off the bill.

I did go for breakfast at the same buffet, based on reviews here. It is certainly much better than dinner - but it was average at best.

The food staff here should take a field trip over to the Shangri-La Pudong to see how food is done right.

As others noted, location is not great. Taxis are available and cheap, but traffic can be very bad and make a 10 minute ride into a 30 or 40 minute stop'n'go trip.

Staff service was hit'n'miss. Concierge and taxi guy were both great. Check-in was fine, checkout was slow and very poor english. Restaurant staff are weak, with Chef's standing around and talking throughout both breakfast and dinner. The car I had booked to the airport got "lost", but I gave up on that, as checkout could not speak english well enough to resolve the problem.

Bottom line - it's not a terrible hotel - but I would not likely return.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank B_in_YVR
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed August 4, 2011

We were there as part of a group tour which selected the hotel. They made a fantastic choice.. From the time we entered this hotel we were treated as graciously as could be expected. As business are located on the first 25 or so floors we were up high. Our rooms were on the 42cnd floor and which gave us a beautiful view of the city. The ameneties in the room were very luxurious and the facilities in the room were more than I would have expected. The front desk bent over backwards the few times we had to make a request.
We ate most of our meals inside the hotel and enjoyed them all. The tour group took us around the city and ate some meals in Shanghai.
This is one of the most comfortable and beautiful hotels I have stayed at. My wife and I have stayed in Marriott, Sheraton, Hilton, Fairmont and other hotels from Bucharest, Prague, Capetown, Paris, and Montreal as well as throughout the US. This hotel was one that I would rate in the top three of places we have stayed at. I don't know if we will ever make it back to Shanghai but would definitely stay there again if we did.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cryptoman
Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I can't rave enough about this wonderful hotel. The rooms were spacious, well appointed, and immaculately clean. The service at the hotel was 5+ and the food was equally good. When in Shanghai I would highly recommend the Longemont Hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank animalcule
San Diego
Reviewed June 13, 2011

As we arrived at the hotel we noticed that there were no close by restaurants, shops, or other "tourist" type attractions. It was more a commercial industrial type area with nearby residential high rises that shut down in the evening. So, anything you might want to do would have to be done by taxi. That was a negative.

The hotel itself was excellent - good room with complementary bottled water, wonderful shower, nice casual dining room on site. We ate breakfast in that dining room the next morning -- outstanding buffet with both oriental and western food stations. There was not one thing I could think of that was not available for a traditional eastern or western breakfast. The front desk exchanged USD for Yuan at a very reasonable rate. The people at the desk were very helpful as were the concierge desk attendants. Because this was only a quick stop before starting a cruise and we had a full day tour of Shanghai scheduled for the next day, we didn't miss much...other than the ability to walk casually in an area that had a night life.

For someone on a similar itinerary, I would recommend the hotel. I would probably suggest looking for other accommodations, if you wanted the ability to walk out into an active night life.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Shanghai, China
Reviewed June 9, 2011

There was one very nice Japanese member of staff, but all the Chinese staff were haughty and rude. Carpet in the room was filthy and there was no wi-fi. Had a rather creepy client service manager email me - when I said I wasn't happy I didn't hear back from him! Bad hotel.

Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank bibby1039
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed May 29, 2011

We recently stayed in the Longemont Hotel in Shanghai and were extremely impressed with the level of service and friendliness which we received from all staff members in the hotel. Nothing was too much trouble and their eye to detail in supporting and assisting us as guests was exceptional. I would recommend this hotel not only for the service level, but also for the relaxed environments which are available for guests to use and enjoy.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family