“Location is everything for this hotel”

Jinjiang Inn Shanghai Nanjing Hotel
Ranked #1,239 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
London, United Kingdom
“Location is everything for this hotel”
Reviewed March 21, 2013

The location to the Bund and Shopping streets is perfect.

The staff couldn't have been more helpful - they were a great help to us English travelers with very little Chinese Language skills. If you need a Chinese sim card the staff are extremely helpful and will take you across the road to assist in purchasing one.

The room was basic but traditional Chinese style. Hotel could do with a bit of modernizing and beds were extremely hard but this is to be expected if from china generally!!

Overall I would recommend this hotel for a budget - location perfect hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ErasmusTraveller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
toronto
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I stayed at the Nanjing Hotel in Shanghai in August with a friend.

Our Room - The room itself was okay. It wasn't awful by any means, but it wasn't a 5 star hotel either. The room was a good size, beds were clean, a little hard but not bad, and the TV had a lot of channels (not that we watched much TV). Only some suites had a balcony, so we felt lucky to have one. The view wasn't anything amazing...we could see the street and restaurants below (see pictures for reference). The bathroom was clean for the most part, but the shower was slightly mouldy. We had nice hot water and good water pressure.

Food - We didn't try the restaurant in the hotel, but we did try the place across the street. It was a pretty fascinating experience. The food wasn't bad, lots of options, it was inexpensive, and the english translated menu items were hilarious.

Location - obviously you can tell by the reviews: If you stay at this hotel for any reason, it is the location (especially for the price). You are right at Nanjing Road with all the shopping and restaurants, and you are just minutes away from the Bund. I had a great time heading to the bund at night...really beautiful.

Service - The staff was a little slow and while the front desk knew english, none of the additional staff did...so at times, communication was difficult, but not a big deal.

Overall, considering the price and location, I would consider staying here again in the future. It did suck that there wasn't any wifi at the hotel, so if I were to stay in Shanghai for more than a few days, I would probably consider another hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank jammasterjulz
London
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Me and my partner chose this hotel because we wanted to be in the thick of it, and in the thick of it we was. Location was spot on, just off Nanjing street, 2 min walk to the nearest station, 5-10 min walk to the bund.

We didn't spend much time in the hotel, but when we did the room was clean, and the staff were very helpful.

Apart from being a bit dated the only problem I had was that the bed was pretty hard, but as we came to learn most beds in China were pretty hard.

Definitely Recommend

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bradley K
Melbourne Australia
Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

Place is a good stop off, not fancy just basic, pretty cheap though so that's ok. Good location!! Beds are hard, but that's normal in China, beds seperate too.
However I think in all my years of travels I have never been spoken to and treated as rudely as this woman / manager. Truly horrible woman. Shame, otherwise I would have left better feedback. We were with a tour group (intrepid) and they kept locking us out of our room, when I enquired as to why it was happening I was ignored, and then told it was my fault! Agh, long story, but terrible service is my point. Maybe the other staff were lovely.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Sarah S
London
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I stayed for 4 nights in this hotel and it was the only hotel I stayed at in my travels in china that hot water all the time - for that I rate it highly.

The location is perfect, close to the underground, post office, main shopping drag and it has a couple of very late night (it might even be all night) convenience shops across the street. The restaurants across the street are only so, so and you'll do better walking a few minutes more.

The only downside was this was the only hotel where they actually gave me a single bed rather than a double bed which is more then norm in asia. The room was also the tiniest out of all of them I stayed in but it still had a good bathroom and good hanging space, and a comfy chair and table to sit at.

Breakfast was good but very little european apart from a toaster and some boiled eggs. Coffee was good though and the restaurant nicely appointed.

Beware their business centre - it charges 60 yuan an hour to use the internet. If you walk for around 5 minutes you'll find an internet cafe across the road from starbucks that will charge you 4 yuan and hour.

Room Tip: try to get a room that is at the back of the hotel, they have great skyline views
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank BeautifulSights
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Rooms smelled like a bar wherein the smoke just never left. My PJs smelled of smoke the next day. I'm almost afraid for my health when I think of the effect of second hand cigarette smoke and the hotel room where I just slept. Found a pubic hair at the toilet as I step into the room after checking in. BUT if you dont mind the room smelling like smoke and you are not a cleanliness buff, nothing beats its location. Just make a right after exit no. 1 of metro line 2 nanjing east rd station, make another right at the 1st small street you see, walk past the police station and you're at the hotel. Convenience store, resto that serve decent pork dumplings (xiao long bao) just across the hotel and Nanjing road almost by your doorstep. Perfect location for tourists. Line 2 connects directly to the airport, alot an hr travel time.as of writing costs only 7rmb.

• Stayed November 2012
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed November 21, 2012

The Hotel is well located, very closed to Nanjing road shopping street. Close to a metro station and The Bund. There is a convenience store just across street front the hotel and if you walk opposite direction to Nanjing road you can find a lot of places where to eat Chinese cuisine.

The hotel was clean,the room and bathroom were small but clean as well.
I have to mention that there is not internet connection or wifi. If you need use it you will have to go to the apple store located it on Nanjing road, just couple blocks from the hotel to get free wifi .

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends