“Dirty hotel with rude staff.”

Green Land Jiulong Hotel , Shanghai
Ranked #161 of 5,203 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Staying in this hotel for 3 nights at the end of our Wendy Wu tour, we found the staff to be unfriendly & rude. The housekeeping left much to be desired. The rooms were dirty, I don’t think the room had been vacuumed ever, there were nail clippings on the carpet near the bed. After complaining to reception, I was told that it would be cleaned that day. NO! When we got back that night the nail clippings were still there in the same place. The shower was mouldy and needed a good clean.

Some floors were closed for renovations so maybe they are going to upgrade the rooms. However the housekeeping staff needed to be replaced by some that wanted to work.

Breakfast was good, and there was free Wi-Fi in lobby only.
Bar prices for drinks and coffee in the lobby was very very dear. Avoid buying drinks there if you can.

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Brandiii

Reviewed May 31, 2013

They started renovating some of the floors hence some of the reviewers may had experienced to be checked-in in old rooms.

I find the hotel decent. Near the office I need to go to every morning.

The room is cleaned every day. Toiletries and towels are replenished as well.

However, I find the lighting in the room a bit insufficient. I find it too gloomy since I need to work a bit after office hours.

The morning buffet breakfast is great on the first day. Dull and boring the next few days. Same food throughout my stay.

Elevators can be crowded at times. And the 4th/5th floor videoke/games floors are funny during late night.

One complaint I have to note here is that I need to get my keycard activated. Everyday. I will go up to my room only to find out it is not working and then every time, I will ask at the front desk to make it work for my entire stay. To no avail. I have to do it for 6-7 times.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank jaysantos_dot_ph
Reviewed April 27, 2013

The stay was acceptable and the staff friendly, some of the staff on the front desk were English speaking to a certain degree and did there best to help us.
The room that we had was almost on the top floor and the traffic noise was not a problem. We were unsure if the air con was operating or not but the temperature in the room ok for us.
The bed was spacious and clean as was the bathroom/shower, housekeeping did a very good job of keeping the room clean and tidy.
We found the taxis very good and were always given a receipt upon payment, also the cost to the Bund(near the ferry terminal) was about 16 Yuan.
The breakfasts were alright with European and Chinese food available, I preferred the Chinese as I think that the selection was better, at least to my taste. The restaurant in the hotel that we used served some excellent food, Chinese and Italian, there was a slight communication problem, but the menu did have English on it and the waitress did her best to understand us.
We did manage to find a small convenience store about 5/10 minutes walk away, towards the overhead pedestrian walkway, at a main road intersection.

Room Tip: As high as possible as the windows seem to be single glazed.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank kjan2210
Reviewed March 31, 2013

A hotel a couple of years from their prime time, the room was quite nice with good beds and a tasteful bathroom.
The hotel is located a little off if you want walking distance from the Bund, and the neighbourhood is elderly Shanghai style.
If you want to "do the town" at night it only takes 10-15 minutes by taxi to get home and costs about 20-30 RPM.
A heads up regarding the AC, this is something we've encountered in many places namely it is winter time and the cooling is shut off. It can be +20 outside and it is really warm in the room but still it's considered winter!
And open a window is not an option due to noise outside 24*7.
The breakfast is decent.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 10, 2013

My family has just returned from a 6 night stay at this hotel. We found the staff to be unfriendly & rude. The housekeeping left much to be desired. The rooms were dirty, dont think the room was vacuumed in the 6 days we were there. The shower is mouldy and needs a good cleaning.
There are no restauarants/shops in the area.
I would definitely avoid

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 15, 2012

We were overall very happy with our stay at Juilong hotel. Room was of good standand. The bathroom has both a spacious shower cabin and separate tub.

Nice beds with pillows in our taste. Only problem with our room was the air conditioning. It could only heat the room. To get the room cooler was to open the window and turn off the air conditioning.

Drink and coffe prices were quite expensive compared to room rates,

30 - 40 minutes walk to The Bund. Close you could also find old typical Shanghai houses and life different from the elegant part of Shanghai.

Breakfast OK, but orange juice more like soft drink than squeezed oranges.

Free Wi-Fi in lobby.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Mid_aged_couple
Reviewed November 11, 2012

We stayed at Jiulong Hotel, Shanghai on the 21st floor. Our inter connecting rooms were fantastic, the rooms were clean and tidy, was on a non smoking floor and the view from our window was fantastic. We could see over Shanghai waterways, the Peace Hotel etc. Breakfast at this hotel was predominately Asian with an egg station but we had no troubles there was always something there for us to eat and for us to enjoy breakfast as a communal type where tables of ten were set up. That was always good and the conversations with the other guests were always interesting even if they couldn’t speak English. It was fun offering the Chinese Vegemite that we had brought from home for their toast each morning at breakfast. Some would take a smell and then politely refuse. There was free WiFi available in the foyer which was fantastic, the laundry service was excellent which we used at the Hotel and the foyer bar was very good but one piece of advice pay cash for your drinks and then you do not need to pay the 15% surcharge if you charge it to your room. The Hotel is located brilliantly alongside it is a six storey complex which has a number of restaurants within it. One of them is known as the Jade Garden Chinese Restaurant which is a fantastic restaurant and I highly recommend it. Overall the Hotel was fine, be sure to get a room up high as the traffic noise is constant. PS the beds are so soft which is a nice change in China.

Room Tip: Get up high to avoid traffic noise
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family