“Great Hotel for the Price” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Le Royal Meridien Shanghai

Ranked #39 of 4,968 Hotels in Shanghai
San Francisco, California
“Great Hotel for the Price”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

This hotel is definitely a good/great hotel if you can book the competitive rates or cash in SPG points. The hotel is pretty central to local shopping and places to eat. Great view from the rooms. One of the best values of the hotel (if you have SPG Platinum) is the breakfast. The breakfast buffet options were by superb. Lots of choices, all excellent quality, fresh juices and fruits, really well prepared, and very clean. Absolutely worth it, and if you have to pay, I still think it is worth it. We also dined at the Chinese restaurant and that wasn't too bad either.

Two things I didn't so much care for: the check in lobby is not on the ground floor. You need to take an elevator up to get to the hotel lobby (I think it was on 12 or 17). This really made it confusing sometimes on which elevator to take to get to your room or just get out of the hotel... The other thing that bothered us (stayed at the hotel 4 different times now) is the A/C. The A/C while cooling seemed to do nothing for the humidity. So the room, your clothing, etc. always felt really damp and sometimes just smelled damp. I think this is a huge problem because every time I have stayed here during the summer months it has been this way.

Other that that, hotel was good.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Leroyalmeridien_sh, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

We thank you for sharing your review on Tripadvisor.com with our friends.

We are very delighted to learn that you like our location, facilities and food, and we want to say thank you for being a loyal guest in our SPG program.

We will be looking into the points mentioned and wish to assure you that changes where possible will be met.

Thank you again and we are looking forward to being of service when next trip brings you back to Shanghai!

Le Royal Meridien Shanghai

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

On my first night left my phone in the car pick-up. Concierge was super helpful and helped to locate it and return it to me. Staff is always very helpful and the rooms are really nice. Would definitely recommend the hotel.

Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

I stay from September 19 to 21. Location and facility is ok but only not satisfy with their waitress attitude at breakfast place. I had to ask many times for coffee and when we ask about closeing time. She ignore our request even she noticed out voice and went to see other customer. Not smile is ok but ignoring we cannot accept it.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Leroyalmeridien_sh, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience on Tripadvisor.com.

We want to apologize for what you experienced during your stay at our hotel. I will certainly look into the issues about the breakfast service you have mentioned and make sure that actions are taken to make improvements.

We do however appreciate your feedback and look forward of being service again in the future.

Lewisville, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

Super location at the Nanjing Road.Right by peoples sq.I typically don't like a modern hotel but I tought this one is nice.I stayed at nice suite and it was nice.Restaurant was OK level.You can't expect the service quality like hotels in Hongkong but they were good enough.I have stayed twice and I am sure that I go back one day.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your great review on almost all aspects of Le Royal Meridien Shanghai. The team and I are all looking forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in the future and providing you with another memorable stay.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

This was my first stay in Shanghai and the first in the hotel. Service was good and the staff all spoke serviceable English. They showed real concern for my well being, offering more cost effective transport alternatives than their own in prompted!

The hotel is like a sea of calm in the Chaos of Nanjing road. The lobby is many floors above the street and this gives you the ability to enjoy a coffee or a meal where you can see Shanghai but not be assaulted by the cheerful chaos of Nanjing road.

Will stay there again

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you so much for taking the time and sharing such a nice review.

We are appreciative that you chose Le Royal Meridien Shanghai for your first visit to Shanghai. We are also delighted to know that you love the hotel atmosphere as well as the service provided. I have shared your compliments with the team and we look forward to seeing you again should your travel bring you back to Shanghai.

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

As someone who is often travelling for work, what I really need is the most basic. I just need everything in the room to work, so that I can quickly turn on my computer to work, get to my appointments on time, and come back for a hot shower and then go to bed.

Now, I need to finish 2 major reports and presentation in 2 days before several Big meetings, they got me the extra miles. I was managed to borrow a bigger screen in my room and able to focus to work on several ppt, excel and graphic all at the same time. Work completed in time and meetings well conducted.

Really appreciated the help. This shows their care and willingness to help.

Room Tip: Rooms towards the river is good.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Leroyalmeridien_sh, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for sharing your comments with us on Tripadvisor.com.

It is always great to hear our guests enjoy their stay with us. We are glad to know that your meeting was a success one, please be assured whenever possible our team are always willing to assist and promise you a perfect meeting and stay. I would share your comments with my team and look forward to welcoming you again should your travel bring you back to Shanghai.

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 4 days on Business. This is the 2nd time I have stayed here and both times I have had a great room. internet access was dreadful first time but much improved on my 2nd stay. Good location next to Nanjing Road and had no problem getting a taxi. Nanjing Road is next door if you like being asked for a "lady massage" as soon as you step outside. Instead of Nanjing road take one of the other streets down to the Bund or elsewhere for more of a hassle free experience.

Generally good food and excellent service. I found it pricey although I have no comparison in Shanghai. I will book this hotel again when I am in Shanghai and would recommend it.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Leroyalmeridien_sh, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for sharing the feedback with us regarding your recent stay.
We are happy that you had an overall good stay with us.
We are looking forward to having you back and being of service again in the near future.