“Very nice hotel in an excellent location”

Ranked #37 of 5,112 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed June 24, 2013

The hotel has very nice rooms and you are located in the heart of Shanghai. I recommend to ask for a room on a high floor. The view over the city is fantastic. I also recommend trying out the bar on the top floor for a drink. As long as it is not foggy the view is spectacular. The breakfast is good and offers a lot of variety. I tried also the buffet dinner, however it was not outstanding. Overall a very nice hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Leroyalmeridien_sh, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for sharing your stay experience with us on Tripadvisor.com!

It is always a great pleasure for us to learn that our guest is satisfied with our hotel. We are proud of our location as well as the stunning view on high floors. Thank you for your comments and suggestions and we will improve our service to meet your expectation.

Thank you again and we sincerely look forward to being of service soon!

There are newer reviews for Le Royal Meridien Shanghai

Reviewed June 23, 2013

The room decor and the quality of materials used are both terrific (I may borrow some ideas for my next house). Very comfortable room in every way. I had an upgraded room on a high floor looking toward the Pudong area, and the views were terrific, especially at night. Plus, it had some extra room -- a sort of living room area next to the large flat panel TV. The closets in this place were stunning -- about the best I've seen among hundreds of hotels I've been to.

Staff are all pleasant, even charming, and extremely helpful. I want to make special note of the terrific concierge staff -- I wanted a custom made piece of Chinese calligraphy as a gift, and they got it done in less than 24 hours and at a very reasonable price. So, a big Thank You to the wonderful concierge staff!

The breakfast buffet is simply excellent and offered in a beautiful setting. Vast selection, and all top quality. Very helpful, friendly service, too. Very impressive.

The spa is excellent. Had a first-rate massage -- indeed, the entire experience was a bit different that I've had elsewhere, and thoroughly relaxing.

Location is very convenient -- right on the main pedestrian mall that will take you to the Bund on the waterfront in about a 10 - 15 minute walk (a very pleasant walk).

My only issue with the hotel is that the lobby is on the 11th floor -- so you need to take an elevator on the ground floor to the 11th, then switch to another to get up to your room (and, of course, repeat this process to exit the hotel). Sort of like having to change planes in Atlanta or Chicago. But that's minor compared to the extraordinary place that this hotel is -- in so many, many ways.

Overall, a truly enjoyable stay -- and one of the rare times when I truly regretted having to leave a hotel.

Room Tip: Upgrade your room and get one one a high floor facing the Bund. You will not regret it.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for writing review to share your feedbacks on Tripadvisor.com.

It is such a great pleasure for us to see a full score and thank you for your positive review! We are always offering high quality service, caring for all our guests with sincerity. Hope to see you again when next trip bring you back to Shanghai!

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Great location next to People's Square and the shopping precinct on Nanjing Pedestrian road with easy walk to Bund. Had a nice spacious room with a view to People,s Square, loved the generous breakfast and evening buffet menues. We would stay there again staff were friendly and accommodating but experienced one disapointment when realising after checking out on way home that a ladies watch placed in a toiletery bag (not in hotel safe) had gone missing.

Room Tip: Rooms level 30 and above with good views.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for sharing your stay experience with us on our hotel website. We are delighted to hear that you had an overall good stay with us.
I am sorry to hear of the incidents you encountered and apologize that there was no follow up on such an important matter. I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you directly and assist.
I hope this experience do not cloud your future expectations of our hotel, and we look forward to you next visit.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Emelie Dolp is fantastic! Assistant Manager in the Executive "Royal Club" lounge on the 44th floor of the Royal Meridien in Shanghai. Always with a smile on her face and willing to help with any obscure request a guest has the nerve to ask. She goes out of her way to make sure her guests want for nothing. Always pure charisma. She makes the lounge at this hotel my favorite in the whole world.

-Nelson
Anchorage, AK

Room Tip: A Bund view room from a high level floor is the best.
Reviewed June 20, 2013

For business this hotel have it all. Very well situated.
The rooms are spacious and they have a different style of shower/toilet/washbasin. Breakfast was very nice and if the weather is good you can sit outside.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Leroyalmeridien_sh, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time and share your review with our friends at Tripadvisor.com.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the guest room layouts. The team and I are happy to know that you enjoyed your overall stay with us.

Looking forward to being of service soon!

Reviewed June 19, 2013

It's conveniently located. It's modern, comfortable, and clean. Not sure about the rate in general as I m booking on my company rate which I think it is of good value. Pretty broad range of selection in the breakfast buffet ... Was rather lost on what to have ;). Friendly staff. I will surely come back to this hotel again the next time I visit Shanghai.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Great location next to metro line 2 (very important if you get here from Pudong International airport) - this becomes very fast and cheap (7RMB vs some 170 RMB with a generally uneducated race driver called taxi). Use exit 7 at people's square and you see the building in front of you.
Lobby is on the 11th floor (bell captain on ground floor!) ... rooms as high up as 60th floor. Pool (ok in size unless you are looking for lap swimming - length estimated 15 m), fitness ok, machines ok.
Rooms clean fairly modern - good (free) wifi with the usual chinese legal restrictions.

Room Tip: higher floor allows for a better view of the skyline (above 40th floor I would say)

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay with us.
We are glad to hear that you like our convenient location and enjoyed your overall stay.
The team and I are looking forward in being of service again soon.