“Excellent location, but atrocious internet service”

Ranked #37 of 5,147 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed February 1, 2013

I stayed at the Royal Meridien Shanghai twice prior to my most recent stay. Always loved the location and the facility was fine. Staff was friendly and efficient. Super convenient to go to all sorts of places. So I specifically booked the hotel for my most recent business trip to Shanghai. To my huge surprise, I had a miserable stay this time. The problem? Atrocious internet service. Not only was it incredibly slow, but also was it highly unreliable. It took forever to log into my gmail account. For work purposes, I needed to download a file from my email. The ridiculously slow and meager internet service couldn't even allow me to download a very small-sized file. It really caused my work to suffer. I simply cannot understand why such a luxury 5-star hotel would have such an atrocious internet service. Such a shame! How can you be a business hotel and have unrelliable internet service? I will never stay there again unless there is marked improvement.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Leroyalmeridien_sh, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2013

Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us and our sincere apologies for the poor internet connection you incurred. We believe the frustrations you endured were largely due to the current upgrading of our wifi and broadband services within the hotel.
We could not agree with you more the importance of a smooth and seamless connection and our guests will be experiencing just that once the upgrading is complete. We will be proud to be offering one of the fastest networks in Shanghai and China.
Thank you for your patience.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

I'd never stayed in a Le Meridien before but this was a great first experience! My room - on the 61st floor - had an amazing view of the Bund (well worth paying extra for) and a view over the city that took my breath away every night! So much so, I slept with my curtains open. The spa was outstanding and I went back every evening - the perfect end to a bustling day on Nanjing Road. Tip - the wasabi prawns from room service were to die for.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank craiglegrice
Leroyalmeridien_sh, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2013

Dear Reviewer,

We loved your review and thank you for sharing. I too am always in awe when looking out over the Bund, Nanjing road and all of Shanghai. We are so fortunate with our location and property. Do let us know when your travels bring you back through Shanghai for us to be able to show you the view once again.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

I stayed for only 3 nights in January 2013 and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. I had a great room on the 22nd floor but colleagues in other rooms on other floors had no complaints either. I arrived on Sunday and was immediately offered the champagne buffet brunch, which I decided to try. Very good it was too! Great selection of cosmopolitan dishes and plenty of champagne, but with a price to match!

Unlike some other reviewers, I found the staff to be exceedingly helpful, polite and very service orientated. All the staff I encountered spoke English well enough that we had no communication difficulties. A colleague used the gym and said it was very good with lots of equipment. Another colleague took breakfast one morning and said the choice and quality was excellent..

My room itself was spacious and stylish (just a standard business room I think, not a club room or anything fancy) as well as being clean and maintained to a very high standard. The bathroom was immaculate.

I can absolutely recommend the bar on the 65th floor which has both smoking and non-smoking areas. Good service and occasional live music plus a fantastic panoramic view of the city. Don't expect a cheap night out here though!

The hotel is located very near People's Square which is a pleasant place to take a stroll. There are many shops, shopping malls and restaurants nearby (within walking distance) but if you want to visit the famous Bund district you'll need to take a short taxi ride.

The hotel didn't seem 'tired' or in need of refurbishment as far as I could see. Overall: excellent and when I revisit Shanghai this will be my first choice hotel.

1  Thank Richard M

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for sharing your experience with our friends at tripadvisor.com and we are delighted to read that you enjoyed this visit.

We are in the midst of upgrading our award winning “La vie en Rose” brunch, so you must come back and experience us again.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

Great location, really good breakfast buffet, nice rooms, good health club, and great customer service. Lobby was always buzzing with interesting people. A stylish hotel with a mostly European and North American clientele.

1  Thank Seakayaks

Dear Reviewer,

WOW! A Full score. All we can say is, Thank you!

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Location is great, but poor value and not the best staff who wasn't as friendly or as English speaking. But it is still a wonderful hotel with dramatic views of Shanghai.(high rooms are recommended) It's seems to be a good business hotel not so for leisure.

The hotel seems tired and even if it has five star amenities, needs renovation in certain areas. Can't say something special of this hotel a part that we were very disappointed with the service especially dinner at Le Bistrot that was a big mistake!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Reviewer,

We appreciate you taking the time to leave your comments with our friends at tripadvisor – we are thrilled to read of our location and views continue to impress. Our apologies for the disappointing experience in Le Bistrot, which has been share with the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Shanghai in the near future.

Reviewed January 19, 2013 via mobile

The locations is great and it's a Nice looking hotel. The staff has a bit too much attitude, and not enough service orientation.
I was offered a club room upgrade and that seemed like a good idea - Internet thrown in (although that was free across town at the four seasons anyway) higher room (view was amazing) and club access.
Unfortunately I didn't make it til the club until a few minutes after happy hour had ended. So the benefit of the club was absolutely nothing. No food, no snacks, not even some nuts for the table. Just expensive gin and tonics.
So I went for a late dinner where for $25 I was given a tiny bowl of rice and some boiled chicken and for an additional $8 a can of Pepsi. Then ignored for 30min and had to go up to the bar and pay myself.
Stylish, but poor value and not the best staff. Location is great though.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank banditking

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for your feedback and for sharing. We could not agree with you more that our club team should have been more proactive and flexible when it comes to guests arriving past our Happy Hour. This has been shared with the team since and can assure you that your experience was a one off.

Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

Nice rooms, vas expecting a bigger junior suite than what we got. Beautiful view from the bath tub! Great bed. Nice work out, training, spa and pool facilities. Expencive breakfast, but veeeeery good(!!!!) - an advice is to not book included breakfast, but have it the days it suits you. Good way to save some $$. The service was great, the reception was very helpful booking tickets and recommending activities. The room has own room service button. If you want privacy make sure to hang up the do not desturb sign, or else they will stop by your room 2-3 times a day asking if you need anything. Food brought to the room was no good, the italian resturant was ok, a bit over priced. Figuring out the elavators was hard enough sober, not recommended drunk! Do enjoy!

Leroyalmeridien_sh, General Manager at Le Royal Meridien Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2013

Dear Reviewer,
Thank you very much for sharing your review with our friends at Tripadvisor.com and for recommending Le Royal Meridien Shanghai to them. The team and I are very glad to know that you had an overall positive stay at the hotel and especially enjoyed the spectacular view as well, the extensive breakfast spread we prepare daily.
We look forward to being of service again when your travel bring you back to the city of Shanghai.