“Great Central Location”

Radisson Blu Hotel Shanghai New World
Ranked #41 of 5,160 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed July 8, 2014

My partner and I have enjoyed a 5 day stay at the Radisson Blu Hotel Shanghai New World. The public areas of the hotel are very stylish, yet comfortable and inviting. The rooms are nice although at a lower level than the public areas. Many reviewers mentioned a strange smell. I, too, noticed it, but it didn't bother me that much. I'm pretty sure that it is not insecticide as others have mentioned, but rather the polish used on the wood furniture. Housekeeping does a good job and are quite pleasant, but, perhaps, they are a little heavy on the polish.

Clearly the advantage of this property is the location. If this is your first trip to Shanghai, I can't think of a better location. The hotel is directly on Nanjing Rd. The pedestrian section of the road ends right before the hotel to the east, so you could have a taxi pick you up directly in front of the hotel. However, we opted to walk or to use the subway, which is directly across the street. Nanjing Rd is one of the great shopping roads in the world. There are countless shops. Many are hidden. You must enter the malls and other buildings to access them.

The only thing I didn't like about the hotel is that I thought the breakfast buffet price was too high. I just didn't think $34 per person was worth it because we don't like to start the day eating too much. There is a Chinese bakery, though, about one or two blocks west of the hotel on Nanjing Rd on the same side of the street that was good. For me, this was a better breakfast option. In addition, there are many local restaurants serving dim sum/steam buns and breakfast soups in the streets a bit northwest of the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank realrere
Clive M, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Shanghai New World, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review Radisson Blu Hotel Shanghai New World.

I fully agree with your comment that Nanjing Road is one of the best shopping streets in the world. From high end brands to absolute bargains, it is truly an amazing street. Radisson Blu Hotel Shanghai New World is located in the middle of Nanjing Road, directly opposite People’s Square and directly above 3 subway lines. We are also only a short walk from the Bund, thus it is the ideal location for a hotel in Shanghai.

I greatly appreciate your comments regarding the room and breakfast. Comments, whether negative or positive allow us to improve our product offering to ensure our guests have an amazing stay in Shanghai.

Again, thank you for your positive review.

Best regards

Clive Murray

Write a ReviewReviews (2,337)

Reviewed July 4, 2014

Everything from the reception,rooms, to the staff was good, breakfast was spread out and had varities. The best part was the revolving restaurant with live music at the top. Really enjoyed the stay out there

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank MalayNandu

Thank you for taking the time to review Radisson Blu Hotel Shanghai New World.

I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and I am even more pleased that you experienced our amazing revolving restaurant Epicure on 45 with panoramic views across Shanghai and the equally impressive Sky Dome Bar on the 47th floor with live music 7 days per week. In Shanghai there is no better location than our hotel and it’s the ideal location to base yourself to explore this truly beautiful city.

Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

I had 4 great nights at this hotel. Everything from reception, through rooms and restaurant were great. Only thing to remark was the massage skills In the fitness area. I'm doubting whether these girls were educated In that regard. But anyway - i strongly recommend this hotel.

Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Holger_JR

Thank you for taking the time to review Radisson Blu Hotel Shanghai New World.

I sincerely appreciate your strong recommendation of our hotel. I am pleased that our service, rooms and restaurants met your expectations. I have personally discussed your comments with our Spa to ensure the massage therapists deliver quality treatments.

I hope you had the opportunity to enjoy our Sky Dome Bar on our 47th floor with panoramic views across the Shanghai skyline with its live music 7 days per week and our amazing Epicure on 45 revolving restaurant. At 208 meters above ground, there is no better place to view the Shanghai skyline.

Reviewed July 4, 2014

The hotel is very much geared towards those staying for business rather than leisure. Conforming to the expectations of the Radisson brand, they offer all of the expected amenities but little to amaze someone travelling on holiday. That said, the location by People's Park is pretty decent and walking to The Bund is possible. The rooms are pretty comfortable, clean and have good bathrooms. Nothing to complain about here. I've stayed several times and the staff have always been consistently professional and courteous. The rooftop restaurant is the same gimmick seen at other rotating venues but the food is above average. That said, I wouldn't recommend spending much time in the hotel other than to sleep, eat breakfast and use the gym (this is better than many hotels but still not great).

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank DuncanEF

Thank you for taking the time to review Radisson Blu Hotel Shanghai New World.

As a regular traveler to our hotel I sincerely appreciate your support and your feedback is extremely important to us. As you have highlighted, our location in Shanghai is second to none. The hotel is ideally located on Nanjing Road, directly above 3 subway lines and only a short walk to the Bund.

Reviewed July 3, 2014

I stayed here with my daughter on our way home for 3 nights. We booked a double room and thought the room size was good and it was nice to have a bath.
The location was great, close to the main shopping area and parks.

If you get a cab from the airport make sure you have the hotel name and address written in Chinese, our taxi drive had no idea about where we needed to go and we had to stop at another hotel for him to get instructions.

The hotel has a grand entrance way, a small foyer cafe, and two restaurants. We ate at both and enjoyed the meals. The restaurant at the top rotates and provides amazing views across Shanghai, well worth the cost.

My only criticism is the state of our first room, the corner of the ceiling was falling in over the bath. I would say it was caused by a lack of ventilation and the board had become soft. After the second day and the ceiling dropping more I asked to be moved. It took a couple of attempts to get someone to have a look at the ceiling and then we were moved to a room that had no view and smelt smokey. I thought they might have given us a room that at least had the same lovely view.

All in all, it was okay.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for taking the time to review Radisson Blu Hotel Shanghai New World.

I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and I sincerely apologise for the defect you encountered in your room. Your feedback is valuable to us as we constantly strive to improve our product and services. Your tip about ensuring you have the hotel name in Chinese is very important. Most hotels have a Chinese name that differs from the English name and most Chinese taxi drivers don’t speak English it’s very advisable to carry the Chinese name and address.

Reviewed July 2, 2014 via mobile

My trip to Radisson blu new world was with business tour. Probably because of fail tour management I had to stay in a non windowed heavy smoke smelling room which feels like a prison cell. After all my protests they changed my room with a room that looks like a radisson hotel room.
I want to critise hotel management about 2 points. First was the old fashioned carpets which cant be cleaned properly and causing health problems for ppl who may have allergy and asthma. Second one was the air conditioning that needs to be replaved by new filters or such maintanence not to cause problems.

Other than these 2 points everything was fine. Breakfast gets my top score and the staff was so friendly.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to review Radisson Blu Hotel Shanghai New World.

You are correct in your comment that your tour company booked a certain type of room type and during your dates of stay the hotel was fully booked thus changing rooms was challenging. However, I am pleased that we managed to accommodate your needs. I am a little surprised by your comments that the carpets are old as they were replaced in the last two years. Maybe you felt the pattern of the carpet was old fashioned but I do appreciate your feedback. On a positive note, thank you for your comments regarding our breakfast and service staff.

Reviewed July 2, 2014 via mobile

Very bad experience at the reception during check in, staff was very rude and inexperienced to handle guest, they have no idea on the rooms and have given the key to the rooms where already guests are staying and not one time 3 times, was very embarrassing. Even after this to my surprises order a veg pasta without beef and 2 times it has come with beef...what else to say I guess this hotel staff lacks in English speaking in every field and a proper action must be taken to improvise and until things get better people should blacklist this property from staying here

Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to review Radisson Blu Hotel Shanghai New World.

Your comments concerned me a great deal thus I investigated fully your concerns. You were part of a large tour group and the room you were assigned was done by the Tour Leader. At one stage you were unable to access your room as your room mate had double locked the door. The Tour Leader found you another room in your group that for some reason you didn’t accept. You came back again to Front Desk asking for another room but we had to keep referring you to the Tour Leader. At no time did the hotel check you into guest rooms with other guests intentionally, as these rooms were assigned by your Tour Leader. I do however sincerely apologise for the error with your pasta. This is unacceptable and we have taken steps to ensure this doesn’t happen again.
On a positive note, upon your departure you did thank our Front Office Manager for your stay thus I believe you did manage to enjoy your experience with us.