“Experiences”

Radisson Blu Hotel Shanghai New World
Ranked #43 of 5,222 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed April 10, 2014

This is a beautiful hotel in the centre of Shanghai, next to Peoples Square. The location is perfect, just a walking distance from the Bund. The hotel gives you a very good atmosphere, and all the locations inside the hotel are clean and very nice.
You can have great meals whether you like Chinese or Western food. Late evenings you can relax in the Sky Dome bar at the 47th floor. If you stay in one of the club rooms, you can enjoy the club lounge at the 35th floor, and experience an excellent service! A hotel I will recommend.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the television tower and Nanjing Road gives a perfect view.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Clive M, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Shanghai New World, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review Radisson Blu Hotel Shanghai New World.

As you have highlighted in your review, our location directly opposite Peoples Park and on Nanjing Road is the absolute heart of Shanghai. For the Sky Dome Bar, we have live music 7 days per week and the bar has amazing views of the Shanghai skyline. I hope you got the opportunity to experience our amazing revolving restaurant on the 45th floor with a 360 degree panoramic view of Shanghai.

Clive Murray

Write a ReviewReviews (2,409)

Reviewed April 3, 2014

My husband and I stayed two nights at the Radisson Blu - one each at the beginning and end of our trip. Very good location opposite Peoples' Square with easy access to the Metro. as others have said a short walk to the Bund. We walked via the backstreets parallel with East Nanjing Rd early on Sunday morning. Really interesting and the most delicious street food available for breakfast - dumplings, pork bun, a kind of pancake/omlette. The hotel itself was very comfortable. The staff were helpful. The first night we were there happened to be my birthday - they must have spotted this in my passport and produced a lovely small cake for me complete with birthday card. We would be very happy to stay here again and would recommend it for convenience and friendly helpful staff. We did not eat at the hotel so can't comment on this.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Clive M, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Shanghai New World, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review Radisson Blu Hotel Shanghai New World.

As you have highlighted in your review, our location directly opposite Peoples Park and on Nanjing Road is the absolute heart of Shanghai. Being in such an amazing centrally located part of the city and close to the Bund, you have discovered the amazing array of delicious food near the hotel that is essential to try when visiting Shanghai. I hope you got to sample “xiao long bao”, the traditional Shanghai dumplings…. They are amazing and my favorite! Of course, we too have great dining venues such as revolving restaurant ‘Epicure on 45’ on the 45th floor with its panoramic 360 degree views of the Shanghai skyline and our Sky Dome Bar on the 47th floor with live music 7 days per week.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

perfectly located, hotel is really good. i mean, its good for the price, its not very modern inside, old fashioned styling. very good views. bar on the roof is weird, no real view due to odd design. umbrellas available all the time, and it rained a lot. would go back.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank SwitzerlandDuffy
Clive M, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Shanghai New World, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review Radisson Blu Hotel Shanghai New World.

As you have highlighted in your review, our location directly opposite Peoples Park and on Nanjing Road is the absolute heart of Shanghai. With the Bund a short walk away and an amazing array of shopping and restaurants, this is truly the best place to base yourself before exploring Shanghai. I am glad you visited our 47th floor bar and experienced our live music that plays 7 days per week. As you make your way to the bar you would have passed our amazing restaurant Epicure on 45 that revolves and has a 360 degree panoramic view of Shanghai.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

Location, Location, Location! Depending upon the size of the city and one’s own itinerary, one may need to be prepared to spend extra to enjoy the benefits of convenience. What this hotel offers is a 25 minute walk to the Bund, and a 10 minute taxi ride to the French Quarter and the shopping is literally under one’s nose.
As we were on a family vacation (2 families – 4 adults and 2 kids), we opted for a 2 bed-roomed suite which was very spacious, large living and dining room and 2 large bedrooms with en-suite bathrooms for each bedroom.
We didn’t eat at the hotel, as there are umpteen dining options and we wanted to sample all that was on offer in terms of authentic local cuisine.
The service was functional and competent, a bit mechanical and the staff sphinx-like (but that’s common to what we saw of china), and it would be unfair to single out the Radisson on this point.
The rooms are well appointed and have all the modern amenities that one would expect of a premier hotel in Shanghai. The way I see it, when you stay at a 5 star hotel, it’s not so much about what they DO have, but what they should but don’t have – and I do not have any reason to complain.
So while there are several star hotels in Shanghai, I would definitely recommend the Radisson New World for its location and for family accommodation as most hotels do not offer a 2 bed roomed suite at relatively competitive rates.
For visitors – make sure you have a decent English speaking guide who has an intimate understanding of the city and its hidden gems – the guides make all the difference!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank KSBan
Clive M, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Shanghai New World, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review Radisson Blu Hotel Shanghai New World.

We are so glad that you were satisfied with our very large Family suites that overlook the People’s Park. No reason to complain is great to hear and that is our goal. There is no better location to stay than the heart of Shanghai and this is where is our hotel is. Peoples Park is the absolute heart of Shanghai and the best place to base yourself to explore the amazing city of Shanghai. The hotel is situated opposite the People's Park and right above the People's Square subway station with easy access to Metro Line 1, 2 and 8. Employing a local guide is a great and smart way to see Shanghai, but even if you don’t choose a local guide, all subway station announcements are in Chinese and English languages.

Again, thank you again for your positive review.

Reviewed March 28, 2014

The Radisson Blu New World is comfortable and well appointed. It's also central to shopping in Nanjing Road and the Museums around Peoples Square and Park.

Shanghai is a huge city and however compact it appears on a map some of the distances are similar to those you'd expect in somewhere like Los Angeles. It was useful therefore to be somewhere that felt reasonably central with easy access to shopping, museums and the Bund (about a 20 minute walk) and also next door to metro access which allows fast travel across the city. The Radisson Blu seemed to fit the bill and we were very happy with our choice.

We entered Shanghai at BaoShan port on the Mariner of the Seas.It was about a 40 minute taxi ride to the hotel at breakneck speeds in manic traffic. Our driver finally parked outside by crashing straight up onto the pavement Crazy Taxi style. Cost was 97 Yuan. I was just glad to be alive.

No soomer than the taxi pulled up, completely blocking the pavement, than a group of excellent bell staff descended on us keen to take our bags directly to our room. I'm sure it was all part of the five star service and I probably caused offence by declining their offer and schlepping the bags myself. I've never been comfortable with being waited on. The bell staff though proved to be incredibly helpful and attentive especially as we left and when we wanted to store bags before checking in and after checking out.

Check in was quick and efficient. We were on the 32nd floor which was serviced by ordinary and express lifts. We never had to wait long for a lift. The room was very comfortable with a few English language channels including CCN and BBC World News. The bed was comfortable. The bathroom was very pleasant and included a range of products and complimentary toothbrushes etc. Slippers and robes were also provided.It may have been too early for the aircon to be switched on but I think we arrived in a warm spell. As an alternative, the window opened! Not much but enough to get some air circulating.

The hotel is at the end of Nanjing Road which leads straight to the Bund. Its about 20 minutes walk. We arrived on a weekend and the Bund and promenade was crowded with sightseers. It's a lovely spot for hanging out. Nanjing Road also has more upmarket shopping than you can shake a stick at. Theres probably more shopping in that one street than in many small British cities. The variety is astonishing with everything from fruit and vegetables to unaffordable jewellery and every designer brand you've ever heard of and a lot more you haven't. Plenty of food option including Western outlets. McDonalds has chinese food on their menu! Why am I surprised?

Opposite the hotel is People's Square with its free museums. People's Park is a delight in the early morning as locals practice Tai Chi or meditate in the peaceful surroundings. Although its a bit incongruous, a Starbucks backs onto the Park and is a cheap alternative to the hotel breakfast which was a bit expensive for us non-business travellers. Watch out for Tea Ceremony Scammers in the Park. They're not aggressive but if you go with them you could end up seriously
out of pocket.

The People's Square metro is opposite the Radisson Blu and gives fast and cheap access to every part of the city for around 30p a ride.

Turn right from the hotel towards Nanjing Road West, Go across two main junctions (about 10-15 mins walk) and you get to the Fakes Market (on your right hand side, 4-5 floors high). If you cant get it there it probably doesn't exist. Watches, bags,purses, outdoor clothing, sunglasses. All difficult to tell from the real thing and at very low prices. Just be ready to be hassled - although all in good spirits and not at all aggressive - and to haggle hard. Beware of "secret rooms" because once you're locked in it's harder to walk away! Walk round once without buying anything and then hatch a strategy before going in for the kill. I'm sure we got ripped off but we were delighted with some of the silly prices we paid.

When you're all done shopping the hotel offers a revolving restaurant on the 45th with unrivalled views of the city. Alternatively you can just use the bar to get the same view. Sunday Brunch looked like good value.

On the 8th floor there's an excellent pool and gym. The changing areas include same-sex steam and sauna with plunge pools and showers. The pool is large and maintained at about 80 degrees. Theres a big jacuzzi. Slippers, towers and swim caps are all provided. The reception staff are really friendly and helpful.

All in all, central, comfortable, good value, excellent staff. Definately a good choice in Shanghai.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to review Radisson Blu Hotel Shanghai New World.

As you have highlighted our location which directly opposite Peoples Park and on Nanjing Road is the absolute heart of Shanghai. Your review says it all. With the Bund a short walk away and an amazing array of shopping and restaurants, this is truly the best place to base yourself before exploring Shanghai.

Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Radission Blu New World Hotel for 10 days. Fantastic service, Fantastic location, Fantastic hotel. The staff was 100% on everything. We loved our vacation in Shanghai. The next time We come to Shanghai we will be staying at this hotel again.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bill T
Clive M, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Shanghai New World, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Dear Bill and Amanda,

Thank you for taking the time to review Radisson Blu Hotel Shanghai New World. We are really pleased you found the hotel “FANTASTIC” in every way. Our team goes out of their way to ensure our guests receive our “Yes I Can” service and take pride in its delivery.

As you have highlighted, the hotels location on Nanjing Road, directly opposite Peoples Park is truly the heart of Shanghai. With a short walk to the Bund, the subway system directly beneath the hotel and Nanjing Road being the shopping, entertainment and dining district, there is no better place to stay.

Again, thank you for your positive comments.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

The concierge, as mentioned in other reviews, is really the best part about this place. They are all extremely knowledgeable and go out of their way to explain every detail - any question I had was answered with expertise and professionalism. Service in this hotel is great - I had asked for a king bed and was given twin beds. After a short phone call requesting a room change, someone was sent to my room within 15 minutes to help me move my luggage. Everyone was friendly and helpful.

The rooms are average, clean and nothing seemed to be old but didn't seem new either. Did appreciate that we can actually open the windows, it's rare these days.

My biggest complaint is probably the internet speed. I had my laptop with me, so I figured I would take advantage of having an ethernet connection. There is a long winded note on the table about what is considered general internet usage and then a warning about using too much bandwidth (because the hotel can, and will cut you off...) The long speech was definitely not necessary, we all know we shouldn't be downloading BluRay quality videos at a hotel, which would take years with their connection because it took me about 3 minutes just to load their restaurant bar menu. You can't even have more than one tab open at a time because you'll have to wait forever. Super inconvenient when trying to plan a trip, and probably was the biggest deal breaker for me as an IT professional trying to just check e-mail and open more than one tab at a time. I thought maybe it was just a one day thing but it was slow my entire stay.

Another small annoyance was the cheap quality of the toiletries and towels. The bottles are hard to open and made of cheap plastic. Broke two nails and almost cut my finger. My skin may be sensitive but it's really some of the worst quality I've seen in all the hotels I've stayed out - and I travel quite often and not always in the best hotels. Not a deal breaker but thought I should mention it.

I would love if the Radisson Blu incorporated their amazing service oriented mindset to the quality of the little things as well. Investment will be well worth it.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank KL_Joo

Thank you for taking the time to review Radisson Blu Hotel Shanghai New World. Feedback is critical to assist us improve our services and I thank you for your detailed comments above.

Firstly, thank you for highlighting our Concierge team. They are a true asset to our hotel and go out of their way to deliver our “Yes I Can” service ethic. My sincere apologies regarding your internet connection. There is no doubt that internet speeds are not as fast in China as other countries, but it is disconcerting to hear the challenges you faced. As mentioned, speeds are slower than other countries, but the connection issues you faced do seem out of the ordinary and would require further investigation as we usually don’t encounter such challenges.

I am pleased to advise that Radisson Blu Hotels are about to roll out a new branded amenity called “This Works”, and I truly hope in your next visit you can experience this upgraded product.

Again, thank you for your review.