“Nice Escape Outside of Shanghai”

The Yuluxe Sheshan, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Shanghai
Ranked #126 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
Shanghai, China
“Nice Escape Outside of Shanghai”
Reviewed December 21, 2012

We stayed 2 nights to escape Shanghai for a weekend. To get there from Shanghai we took metro line 9 and from there took a cab to the hotel. It is near Happy Valley theme park which is a good time and the Sculpture Park. I heard the hotel does have shuttle to and from the train station but we arrived late in the evening. Arrival at the resort was friendly from the door staff and the front desk. The lobby is well designed with lounges and spaces to hangout. The conference space is right off the lobby so in the lobby there were convention sign in tables which took away from the beauty of the lobby and you realized we are in a convention hotel. The grounds of the hotel, with the small beach, beach volleyball court, water features, the beautiful wedding pavilion and the outdoor pool looked really nice for good weather. It was cold and rainy when we were staying and of course the pool closed due to the time of year but it looks great with good weather. The room was nice, the paint choices in the room a little unfortunate coral and turquoise walls and the chairs were wicker reminded me of Golden Girls 1980 style. The TV nice and big with it a rainy weekend we looked forward to relaxing and getting caught up on TV shows but unable to hook our devices to the TV for there wasn't any guest accessible inputs which was disappointing to not be able to use this great TV. The bathtub was nice and big and the bed comfortable. We did one morning try to call for room service and order french toast which was on the menu and was told it was not available we asked for pancakes and told they were not available. We decided we would not order room service and went down to the buffet. On the buffet was french toast. The staff in the restaurant were very attentive the 2 meals we had there. The food was much better than I expected living in China but after 2 days I had enough of it. We asked the concierge on how to get to the Sculpture Park which is right there. We were told and walked to the hotel entrance to the Sculpture Park and were asked for our tickets. We didn't have tickets and showed them our room key. She looked into the sleeve for the tickets and showed us what they should look like from the hotel. We called the hotel and said we were at the gate and needing tickets. They said they will send someone out and bring us the tickets. It was cold and a walk back to the hotel so this was great service but it was cold. The ladies collecting tickets let us go and waiting for the tickets which was really nice of them. The Sculpture Park is nice to walk around we and another couple I think were the only ones there. It was nice to walk around I bet it is really nice in the Spring/Summer they have boats you can rent. A nice escape from Shanghai, I think it is primarily a convention hotel. It is not up to the quality standards and upkeep of other Le Meridian properties we have stayed in other parts of the world but for China standards it is pretty good.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kneehowshanghai

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Kamen, Germany
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Stayed at the Le Meridien Sheshan for 1 week on a business trip end of November/beginning of December 2012.

It was my 2nd time in this hotel (first stay exactly 1 year ago) and at this point in time, I guess it is high time that hotel management takes instant action about certain things:

1.) Hotel staff hardly speaks any English so that it is hard to communicate. This is not only an issue in the restaurant, but (and even more problematic) also at the reception desk. Upon checkin, it was impossible for staff to recognize me as a SPG Lifetime Gold Member and as I tried to explain what this means in terms of member benefits, reception staff seemed confused, had no idea what I was talking about and still today, I have not received my 500 points present that I told the receptionist I would be opting for. In the restaurant don't even bother asking anything as staff will simply not understand you.

2.) I had room no. 4047 with lake view. I don't know if all rooms have connecting doors, but mine unfortunately had one so I was badly disturbed by the extremly noisy Chinese neighbors in the next room who were dicussing loudly in the middle of the night to make sure that all hotel guests would understand what they were talking about (seems to be a common Chinese habit). Thus, be aware: If your room has a connecting door, it can get loud in your room. At 11 p.m., however, I called reception to complain about my next door neighbors and they send someone up so that the noise was gone shortly afterwards.

3.) The rooms start to show some aging and Le Meridien should invest quickly until everything in the hotel starts to deteriorate badly.

4.) The restaurant offers the worst quality (food and service) that I have ever experienced in a SPG hotel all around the world. Training for service staff and kitchen staff is highly recommended.

Nevertheless, it has to be said that the rooms in terms of size, decoration and tranquility (if you don't have Chinese neighbors next door) are simply outstanding. An additional balcony rounds up the experience.

Thus, next time business takes me to Songjiang, I will definitely return, but I hope that management notes apparent problems that are existing already and that could (and should) be solved to make the stay at the Le Meridien Sheshan a perfect one.

Room Tip: Lake view and high floor is best choice.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank olliwi
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We stayed here for a business trip but it would make a nice get-away spot outside of Shanghai. We arrived at night and found the hotel difficult to locate since the area is not well-lit nor well-marked. The lakeside property is very nice with a "beach head," jogging paths and nice views.
Check-in is was efficient and the room was delightful: wooden floors, modern decor, large (walk-in!) closet, large bathroom, a balcony with a nice view of the lake. It's a very long walk to the guest rooms, since the hotel is built in "landscape" and not "portrait" orientation. While we enjoyed the room overall, there were some negatives: first, our non-smoking room smelled of cigarettes on the 2nd day. Overall the bathroom was clean except for mold in the bottom corners of the shower, and the water pressure was not great. The air conditioning is not very powerful, and/or is turned off at night.
Regarding the overall hotel, their fitness center and pool are very nice - modern equipment, clean, offers a good combination of cardio equipment and weights. It does not open until 6:30am and that's assuming the staff is there by 6:30, which didn't happen one morning. The buffet meals had huge selection of Asian and Western food. Quality was above-average and service was very good. Checking out of the hotel took too long. There were only 2 staff at the desk and 1 was helping a couple who had issues with their bill.
The price was quite reasonable for the hotel and we would stay again.

Room Tip: Ask for lakeside view
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank RickyBobbie
Shanghai
Reviewed September 15, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel before when attending functions but on this occasion the intention was to get away from Shanghai for a while for some much needed R&R.
Arrival was quick and efficient and the room in the SPG floor large and well equipped with lake view and a large balcony. A bit disappointing that there is no free wifi in the rooms but there is a broadband connection.
Drinks in the lobby bar (with Wifi) were pleasant with a friendly manager and staff. Evening dinner at the Lake View Restaurant was good, again with very helpful staff on hand throughout - not amazing food but we enjoyed it! What was good however was the service. The first two wines I ordered were not available but I was delighted to be offered a free glass of an alternative to make amends. We asked for some recommendations for dishes and were not disappointed with the result!
The breakfast buffet had some great pastries and pancakes on offer and a variety of other foods to suit all tastes. Again, efficient service with a smile.
All in all a good stay and a fair option to escape the city.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mike B
Reviewed August 8, 2012

If you want to leave Shanghai for the weekend, Le Meridien can be an option, but bear in mind that you will be in a hotel with thousand of people (and kids) and you will have to face huge lines to check in and check out. The lunch buffet is nice, nothing more than this, and do not expect to have the best dinner of your life there.

Rooms are big and bed very comfortable, as well as bathroom and tub.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Shanghai
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Just stayed here to get away from the city (Shanghai) over Father's Day. Hotel is nice but definitely showing its age.

Had an issue checking in and was given a smoking room despite during the online booking process and again at check-in specifying did not want a smoking room. That said, may have been that the last tenant was smoking in a non-smoking room (although an ash tray with matches was in the room giving me the impression it was a smoking room). Took about half an hour to change rooms.

There are indoor and outdoor pools. Indoor pool was packed with kids, but this is China, so everywhere you go there will be a lot of people. As a friend said of a hot spring - felt like a dumpling in a pot of dumplings.

Floor was scuffed (I suspect this is why hotels usually don't have wood floors). Shower door had an exposed rusty screw. TV had HBO, which my daughter enjoyed but I'm sure at 7 she would have preferred Disney (not available) than Game of Thrones (s2e9). (Please don't say I'm a bad Dad - I would switch to CCTV 4 to watch news of the first female Chinese astronaut whenever inappropriate, which was often).

Location is close to the mountains and a sculpture park. Not many places to eat nearby and concierge was hesistant to give us a recommendation to a local Chinese restaurant. Not sure if because I was white (but I'm in China so would expect to eat Chinese food) or trying to encourage eating at the hotel restaurants. Eventually just went for a drive and found a country-style restaurant on a houseboat that was actually pretty decent.

Slept really well there and rooms were clean. View of the lake and children's beach was pleasant.

Overall, I thought it was fine but I recommend bringing a car (don't take the metro) so that you have access to nearby attractions and restaurants.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 13, 2012

Stayed here over the weekend, quite convenient as its only 30 minutes cab ride from Shanghai. First impression of the place: huge and expansive complex. Room is spacious, modern, and comfortable. Restaurants are a bit mediocre, and actually there are only 2 of them in that whole complex, lack of choice, average quality. They have small pool overlooking the lake, which was beautiful, and the whole complex was just green and serene.

OK but not the patrons. I was expecting a quiet weekend away, but the place was packed with locals who came in throngs, lots of kids, it was definitely not quiet.

There was only one bar, which was pathetic. It was Saturday night and we were the only 2 people there.

And I've had problems with check in too. Waited over 2 hours to get the room ready. We entered the room at almost 4pm. It was actually ok, if only they informed us correctly. They had said that the room was still dirty thus need 2 hours to get it cleaned up, so we went out to the rstaurant to get some lunch. Back 2 hours later the room was still not cleaned, and the receptionist asked me to wait another 30 minutes. OK, so again we waited by the lounge bar, and when we returned there 30 minutes later they told us to wait another 10-15 minutes. Thats it, I lost it, I threw a tantrum out and finally they gave us the room.

With the same cost, I'd probably will stay at the Sofitel instead (about 5 minutes drive, closer to the main roads), which looks better from the outside.

Room Tip: lake view room
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple