“Peaceful Stay / Friendly, Helpful and Polite Staff”

The Yuluxe Sheshan, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Shanghai
Ranked #146 of 5,035 Hotels in Shanghai
Shanghai
“Peaceful Stay / Friendly, Helpful and Polite Staff”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel before when attending functions but on this occasion the intention was to get away from Shanghai for a while for some much needed R&R.
Arrival was quick and efficient and the room in the SPG floor large and well equipped with lake view and a large balcony. A bit disappointing that there is no free wifi in the rooms but there is a broadband connection.
Drinks in the lobby bar (with Wifi) were pleasant with a friendly manager and staff. Evening dinner at the Lake View Restaurant was good, again with very helpful staff on hand throughout - not amazing food but we enjoyed it! What was good however was the service. The first two wines I ordered were not available but I was delighted to be offered a free glass of an alternative to make amends. We asked for some recommendations for dishes and were not disappointed with the result!
The breakfast buffet had some great pastries and pancakes on offer and a variety of other foods to suit all tastes. Again, efficient service with a smile.
All in all a good stay and a fair option to escape the city.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mike B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed August 8, 2012

If you want to leave Shanghai for the weekend, Le Meridien can be an option, but bear in mind that you will be in a hotel with thousand of people (and kids) and you will have to face huge lines to check in and check out. The lunch buffet is nice, nothing more than this, and do not expect to have the best dinner of your life there.

Rooms are big and bed very comfortable, as well as bathroom and tub.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Shanghai
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Just stayed here to get away from the city (Shanghai) over Father's Day. Hotel is nice but definitely showing its age.

Had an issue checking in and was given a smoking room despite during the online booking process and again at check-in specifying did not want a smoking room. That said, may have been that the last tenant was smoking in a non-smoking room (although an ash tray with matches was in the room giving me the impression it was a smoking room). Took about half an hour to change rooms.

There are indoor and outdoor pools. Indoor pool was packed with kids, but this is China, so everywhere you go there will be a lot of people. As a friend said of a hot spring - felt like a dumpling in a pot of dumplings.

Floor was scuffed (I suspect this is why hotels usually don't have wood floors). Shower door had an exposed rusty screw. TV had HBO, which my daughter enjoyed but I'm sure at 7 she would have preferred Disney (not available) than Game of Thrones (s2e9). (Please don't say I'm a bad Dad - I would switch to CCTV 4 to watch news of the first female Chinese astronaut whenever inappropriate, which was often).

Location is close to the mountains and a sculpture park. Not many places to eat nearby and concierge was hesistant to give us a recommendation to a local Chinese restaurant. Not sure if because I was white (but I'm in China so would expect to eat Chinese food) or trying to encourage eating at the hotel restaurants. Eventually just went for a drive and found a country-style restaurant on a houseboat that was actually pretty decent.

Slept really well there and rooms were clean. View of the lake and children's beach was pleasant.

Overall, I thought it was fine but I recommend bringing a car (don't take the metro) so that you have access to nearby attractions and restaurants.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 13, 2012

Stayed here over the weekend, quite convenient as its only 30 minutes cab ride from Shanghai. First impression of the place: huge and expansive complex. Room is spacious, modern, and comfortable. Restaurants are a bit mediocre, and actually there are only 2 of them in that whole complex, lack of choice, average quality. They have small pool overlooking the lake, which was beautiful, and the whole complex was just green and serene.

OK but not the patrons. I was expecting a quiet weekend away, but the place was packed with locals who came in throngs, lots of kids, it was definitely not quiet.

There was only one bar, which was pathetic. It was Saturday night and we were the only 2 people there.

And I've had problems with check in too. Waited over 2 hours to get the room ready. We entered the room at almost 4pm. It was actually ok, if only they informed us correctly. They had said that the room was still dirty thus need 2 hours to get it cleaned up, so we went out to the rstaurant to get some lunch. Back 2 hours later the room was still not cleaned, and the receptionist asked me to wait another 30 minutes. OK, so again we waited by the lounge bar, and when we returned there 30 minutes later they told us to wait another 10-15 minutes. Thats it, I lost it, I threw a tantrum out and finally they gave us the room.

With the same cost, I'd probably will stay at the Sofitel instead (about 5 minutes drive, closer to the main roads), which looks better from the outside.

Room Tip: lake view room
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
NJ
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Be careful which room you get at this sprawling hotel, if you get one of the end rooms, you will be in for long tiring walks. The property and rooms are peaceful and spacious, though it is starting to age a little bit. I had some trouble checking-in (actually at the end, we realized it was my fault, I never completed my last minute on-line booking transaction), the front desk agent could have been more accommodating, after we got through the initial problems, her manager had the GM come out to meet me in person (probably afraid that I will file a complaint, especially given that I have SPG Platinum status). I pushed for an upgrade by informing the front desk agent that I would wait for a suite to be cleaned, and magically it was available after a five minute wait – and it was worth the five minutes of awkwardness. The suite had two large balconies, abundant space, and lots tabletop surfaces; this is actually one property where the standard rooms have big enough spaces but the suite is definitely even better. The food, as with past stays, is not the best, but one of these days I must return during the peak season when all the F&B outlets are running on all cylinders. There is water, sand, greens, and historic architecture around, a resort worth a visit.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Coetzer D, General Manager at The Yuluxe Sheshan, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, May 9, 2012
Dear Rm12_72,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay with us. I am happy to see you enjoyed your Journey of Discovery at the Le Meridien Sheshan.

I do try and meet all our SPG Platinum Guest upon check-in to ensure they also have my contact details should I be able to assist. It is good to see that in this instance the team was able to fulfill your needs to your satisfaction.

Your comments on the rooms are totally correct. At over 50 square meters for our standard rooms, there is definitely enough space to spend a lot of time discovering. However - I do agree with you - the suites are even better!

Hope to see you back soon,

Coetzer Deysel
Reviewed April 28, 2012

a bit outside of the hectic city, this hotel is often used to relax a weekend from the busy life in shanghai. its location is nice, in a green park close to an lake with an amusement park, the church on the hill is close and you can take a taxi to climb up the hill and enjoy some uncommon architecture in china. the rooms are great, spacious and clean, nice bath tub. small balcony. service is okay, breakfast is great. they have a famous brunch on sundays that you need to book extra, but its worth it. spa is good and a big indoor and outdoor swimming pool makes this place a favorite hangout during winter and summer

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Shanghaimarkus,

Thank you for visit the Le Meridien Sheshan! I can see from your review that you made good use of not only all the facilities the hotel has to offer, but also the great entertainment in our area.

I am happy to also let you know we have recently been joined by our new Director of Spa, Kob Promsophar. Being from Thailand, we are excited about Kob's contributions to improve our Spa even more. You will also be happy to hear that our Famous Brunch is now, during the summer months, available on Sundays, as well as Saturdays! So come join in the whole weekend!

See you back soon!

Regards,

Coetzer Deysel.
Reviewed April 3, 2012

I have just returned from a 1 night trip at the She Shan Le Meridien and want to thank all of the staff for making it such a great staycation. The hotel is in a great location, and is set among beautiful grounds. Easily accessible from the hotel is a Cathedral, Sculpture park, theme park, observatory tower, lake, and national park. The hotel is also well equipped enough to simply stay in the resort - like I did. The staff are all extremely helpful and happy, and this can be attributed to the "Smile system" they have in place. The rooms are very nice indeed. I had a twin overlooking the lake. In the room is a great walk in wardrobe, a nice bathroom with bath and shower, a wide screen tv, mini bar, and a round sofa which was just great. Each room also has a nice size balcony.

The gym and pool are nice, however I doubt the cleanliness of of the changing room. Made a complaint about the tennis facilities. To hire a court for an hour is 80 rmb, on top of this you then have to then hire tennis racquets and buy the tennis balls, meaning that an over of tennis costs over 200rmb. .

Restaurants really nice, if not slightly expensive, but there is nothing....NOTHING, else to eat nearby so you just have to get on with it. This said, the menu is big so can be tailored to all budgets.

Overall a great stay, and will definitely return. Big thank you to Diana for helping us make the trip so great.

Room Tip: Take a room overlooking the lake!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank dmc1989
Coetzer D, General Manager at The Yuluxe Sheshan, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, April 6, 2012
Dear dmc1989,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. I am very happy to hear you so enjoyed your stay as that is what our aim is for every guest that come to discover the Le Meridien Sheshan. You correctly also point out all the great attractions nearby, and I am happy to let you know that we now have a partnership for a limited time with the beautiful Sculpture Park next door to us. If you book your next stay through our website we offer 2 free entry tickets into the Park - so great value! You pointed out some concern areas as well and I will share that with the team. You mention Diana and you are right, though here now only a short time she already made a great impact. Hope to welcome you back soon!

Best Regards,