“relax from shanghai”

Ranked #123 of 5,105 Hotels in Shanghai
Shanghai, China
“relax from shanghai”
Reviewed April 28, 2012

a bit outside of the hectic city, this hotel is often used to relax a weekend from the busy life in shanghai. its location is nice, in a green park close to an lake with an amusement park, the church on the hill is close and you can take a taxi to climb up the hill and enjoy some uncommon architecture in china. the rooms are great, spacious and clean, nice bath tub. small balcony. service is okay, breakfast is great. they have a famous brunch on sundays that you need to book extra, but its worth it. spa is good and a big indoor and outdoor swimming pool makes this place a favorite hangout during winter and summer

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Coetzer D, General Manager at The Yuluxe Sheshan, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, May 9, 2012
Dear Shanghaimarkus,

Thank you for visit the Le Meridien Sheshan! I can see from your review that you made good use of not only all the facilities the hotel has to offer, but also the great entertainment in our area.

I am happy to also let you know we have recently been joined by our new Director of Spa, Kob Promsophar. Being from Thailand, we are excited about Kob's contributions to improve our Spa even more. You will also be happy to hear that our Famous Brunch is now, during the summer months, available on Sundays, as well as Saturdays! So come join in the whole weekend!

See you back soon!

Regards,

Coetzer Deysel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Shanghai, China
Reviewed April 3, 2012

I have just returned from a 1 night trip at the She Shan Le Meridien and want to thank all of the staff for making it such a great staycation. The hotel is in a great location, and is set among beautiful grounds. Easily accessible from the hotel is a Cathedral, Sculpture park, theme park, observatory tower, lake, and national park. The hotel is also well equipped enough to simply stay in the resort - like I did. The staff are all extremely helpful and happy, and this can be attributed to the "Smile system" they have in place. The rooms are very nice indeed. I had a twin overlooking the lake. In the room is a great walk in wardrobe, a nice bathroom with bath and shower, a wide screen tv, mini bar, and a round sofa which was just great. Each room also has a nice size balcony.

The gym and pool are nice, however I doubt the cleanliness of of the changing room. Made a complaint about the tennis facilities. To hire a court for an hour is 80 rmb, on top of this you then have to then hire tennis racquets and buy the tennis balls, meaning that an over of tennis costs over 200rmb. .

Restaurants really nice, if not slightly expensive, but there is nothing....NOTHING, else to eat nearby so you just have to get on with it. This said, the menu is big so can be tailored to all budgets.

Overall a great stay, and will definitely return. Big thank you to Diana for helping us make the trip so great.

Room Tip: Take a room overlooking the lake!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank dmc1989
Coetzer D, General Manager at The Yuluxe Sheshan, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, April 6, 2012
Dear dmc1989,

Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor. I am very happy to hear you so enjoyed your stay as that is what our aim is for every guest that come to discover the Le Meridien Sheshan. You correctly also point out all the great attractions nearby, and I am happy to let you know that we now have a partnership for a limited time with the beautiful Sculpture Park next door to us. If you book your next stay through our website we offer 2 free entry tickets into the Park - so great value! You pointed out some concern areas as well and I will share that with the team. You mention Diana and you are right, though here now only a short time she already made a great impact. Hope to welcome you back soon!

Coetzer.
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed January 15, 2012

Hotel: Nice location next to a lake and not too hard to find.
Rooms: Very well equipped rooms, the bed was very comfortable and I liked the round sofa a lot. The bathroom's a good size and there's some sort of walk-in wardrobe so lots of storage space. The use of natural materials throughout the room was also very thoughtful and pleasant. Unfortunately the rain shower and the bathtub were BOTH broken but thankfully there's another shower head but obviously that was a big letdown.
Facilities: There were two pools, an outdoor and indoor one. The indoor pool seemed to be quite small so I did not use it. The outdoor pool was very big and in a nice location, it was however brimming with people. The sauna was broken and the staff did not manage to get it fixed within two days so that was a disappointment. Furthermore, there were not enough lockers available because of all the day guests. Surely some lockers should be reserved for hotel guests??
Service: Now this is the reason why I will avoid the hotel in the future. The staff were so unhelpful and incompetent, it was appaling. Room service was extremely slow so don't count them if you're hungry. The staff did not manage to fix anything, whether it was the shower in my room or the sauna. Overall, very disappointing for a Meridien hotel so they should do some serious training of their staff.

2 Thank shanghainese8
Coetzer D, General Manager at The Yuluxe Sheshan, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, March 13, 2012
Dear Shanghainese8,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. I am sorry that it was not all to your satisfaction. I am happy to let you know that we have been able to fix the Sauna's and our preventative maintenance plan for all our rooms are going ahead. I do apologize for the inconvenience in your room! We will continue our associate training to ensure they keep to our high brand standards that you would rightfully expect during your Discovery at a Le Meridien. I do hope you will revisit us again in the future to come and see all the improvements!

Suzhou
Reviewed December 21, 2011

We stayed here in December and in June and liked it both times. It was mid-week and we found the hotel quiet and low key, but can imagine that it might get crazy during busy holidays. The facilities are good, in summer we loved the outdoor pool and beach and enjoyed the surrounding nature. Our room had a nice view but we also experienced the stale smoke odour despite being assured that we had a non-smoking room. We had to look at a couple of rooms before settling on a room where the smell wasn't so bad.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Coetzer D, General Manager at The Yuluxe Sheshan, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, March 19, 2012
Dear Travelkonijn,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review to us. I am happy you enjoy your time with us, as can be seen by you returning. When is your next visit?
We are gearing up for another summer here and the plans are ready to make it even more active and exciting around our outdoor areas - so come and experience it!
I take note of your comment about the smoking smell in the room. I will share with our team and address this as much as we can!

Shanghai
Reviewed October 10, 2011

Booked a room under cash+points plan, was assigned to # 2059 during national holiday,which only has poor roof view, a little disappointed.

What totally spoiled our getaway is our room has a inner-door to #2057,locked but huge noise from there at night. Ah,we typical chinese,want to share everything with others especially noise,what a pity.

Despite the noise everything is ok there : check in/out courteously & efficiently, breakfast has big selections,dinner at lakeview restaurant is perfect as usual.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Coetzer D, General Manager at The Yuluxe Sheshan, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, March 11, 2012
Dear Tony-Xu,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review of the Le Meridien She Shan. Please accept my apologies about the disturbance you experienced from your neighbors during your stay with us in the Holiday period. As you know, being located in the Sheshan National Tourism Resort surroundings mostly allows for a peaceful getaway from all the city noise! So hope to see you back soon to enjoy Chef Lee's amazing food in Lakeview Restaurant and to enjoy the fresh air!

Reviewed August 16, 2011

After I decided to stay this hotel, I checked some comments and feed back from Trip Advisor. Most of recent feed back were not so good and I started worrying to stay at this hotel because it was my family vacation.

I have stayed from Aug 10th to 14th for 4 nights.
After staying, I feel like I must write my comments in you who may concern staying at this hotel.

1. Air conditioner
I saw many comments regarding air conditioner. My room's (#4097) was perfect. I, sometimes, evern turned off it because it was too cold.
I believe the hotel already fixed the air conditioner.

2. F&B
I love Kids pass program. My two sons had free Breakfast, Lunch and dinner at Le Cafe and Lake View restaurants. Drinks were also free for them.
I am also one of "Privilege" member. So 4 people had lunch and dinner and just paid for one.
I save a lot of travel budget.
Even though the food was not 5 star leverl and it was OK enough, except the BBQ dinner at Le Cafe on Weekend. BBQ dinner was not good.
Sunday Brunch was served with "Pommery" which I don't like so I didn't had brunch.
But the restaurant manager mentioend that they will serve "Mumm" from Sept. this year. I, unfortunately miss it.

3. Service
As I am one of SPG platinum member, they upgraded my to Executive suite room.
The room is very good and big enough for my family. Thank you, Sheshan Le Meridien.

If I need to go back to Shanghai with my family, I will definately pick this hotel.

2 Thank OkyungKwon
Dear Okyungkwon,

Thank you for your review. Indeed summers at Le Meridien She Shan is the stuff memories are made from! Thank you for your points you highlighted - let me give you some information on that: We have indeed switched over to Mumm Champagne and also ensured an improvement in quality in our Sunday Brunch. As you point out, being part of the Starwood Preferred Program(SPG) does have great benefits, and I am happy you could see the value of that during your stay. I hope to welcome you and your family back here!

Oakville, Canada
Reviewed August 13, 2011

I did not want to leave. I loved it there. The loved the outdoor pool. It is absolutely amazing and so much fun.

The hotel food is great.

The only disappointment is our non smoking room smelt of stale smoke ingrained into the fibres of the room and you can't get away from it.

Room Tip: kids 12 and under eat free, you have to sign up for it at the front desk.
Dear Kelli,

Thank you very much for your review. It makes us very happy to read that you had such a good time at the Le Meridien She Shan. Our Housekeeping is taking extra care where their is a smoke smell in room and we will keep on top of that - thanks for pointing it out! Please be sure to come back soon as we now even have Electric cars and much more to keep the little ones entertained while you enjoy the outdoor pool and BBQ!

Discovery Greetings,