“Great weekend break from Shanghai, relaxing trip, but poorly maintained hotel.”

The Yuluxe Sheshan, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Shanghai
Ranked #130 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
Shanghai, China
Reviewed June 7, 2011

The good:
Stayed over for 1 night at the weekend. The hotel makes for a good weekend break from Shanghai. Nice gardens, set in a big well kept and clean park, I could almost imagine i was in the countryside! Nice green views of the hills. The nearby Sculpture Park makes for an great picnic spot for the kids, lots of activities and fun stuff.
Hotel room was large, spacious and well kept. Comfortable beds, HD TV, and nice view from the balcony.
Food in the restaurants was quite delicious, good.
Kids indoor play area is nice, simple and clean.

The bad:
Poor Maintenance and untrained staff.

The hotel is a little tatty in places, some equipment is beginning to break, and the changing room showers/toilets are not so clean (toilets were actually quite smelly of urine!). Sadly this is pretty typical for many China hotels, I've been to several 5* establishments and due to poor build quality and poor ongoing maintenance they decay quicker than they should.

Staff English is poor. They had little knowledge of the area and of the events in the hotel. The outside pool bar was shut this weekend (huh... its a 3-day holiday in June, the place was packed, and they closed the pool bar!), unrelenting we called front desk from our cellphone to order drinks, it took some convincing of the rude staff on the front desk but eventually they sent a waiter with drinks. This caused quite a stir with other patrons and soon several people were calling the front desk for the same. haha.

Later in the day, I enquired at the front desk about which restaurants would be open that evening, the receptionist said the outside BBQ would be on from 5:30. Awesome. However, after we walked the 10minutes (its a big hotel) from the lobby to the garden restaurant, we arrived to find it was reserved for a private party!

Oh, and i tried renting a bicycle from the sports club, when i asked the sports center staff for a map or advise where i can ride the bike - she was at a complete loss, had no clue.

Oh, and the swimming pool locker keys are counter intuitive: blue for girls and pink for boys. That was a good joke as I found myself half-naked trying to open the locker with my wife's key.

Do not expect 5-star service from the staff, its a complete adventure. Enjoy it.

Oh, and no free wi-fi.

Room Tip: Visit the nearby Sculpture Park.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank butako2
applepeng, General Manager at The Yuluxe Sheshan, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, June 15, 2011
Dear Butako2
Thanks for your positive and negative feedback in relation to your recent stay and we apologise that we did not meet your expectations. In relation to the your negative experiences we have taken them on board and aim to improve the service level throughout the hotel. Never knew about the locker key colour coding (pink for boys!!!), thanks for letting me know.
We look forward to welcoming you back during the summer months, when the weather is good (no rain) so you can enjoy the outdoor pool with drink service.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 7, 2011

My partner and I booked a stay at this hotel and we were looking forward to a nice 'staycation' away from bustling Shanghai city during the Dragon Boat Festival.

Our disappointment started even before our stay commenced. The Thursday before we checked in, guest reservations called to inform me that due to full occupancy, they cannot grant my early check-in request. I was told to check in 'after 3pm' instead when the standard check-in time was 3pm. Granted, I asked for late check-out and was told that was noted. Upon check-in, again requested for late check-out, but was told it wasn't registered in the system. When I repeated my request for late check-out yet again, the lady at the front desk said very methodically that they are not able to do so due to high occupancy. No apologies, no empathy, nothing.

We booked a BBQ package which included a night's stay and a BBQ dinner and were utterly looking forward to a good meal. However, while waiting for a seat, we were told by the waitress that due to the rain in the afternoon, BBQ dinner has been cancelled and we can help ourselves to the buffet dinner instead which included a small spread of BBQ food. Why weren't we informed of the change? We were also not asked if it's ok to have the BBQ dinner changed, rather we felt that we had no choice but to go for the buffet dinner instead.

While this hotel has beautiful and sprawling grounds and is in a very good location close to the nature reserve, its service leaves much to be desired. In an industry where guest experience is priority, our entire stay experience had us feeling were just a mere transaction at a hotel saved by its strategic location. No attempts were made to make you feel like a cherished guest. If mechanical service is what you're after, then come to Le Meridien.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank NewbornBebe
Dear Newbornbebe
Thanks for your feedback and we apologise the we where unable to accommodate your request for early check in or late check out due to high occupancy over the holiday weekend. Due to the weather over the weekend we had to cancel the BBQ on the day, however I totally agree with you that you should have been advised when the change was made on the day, it was an oversight on our behalf and we will note this for future.
Hopefully you will not let this experience stop you from returning in non holiday time when we should be able to facilitate your request for early checkin and the weather will be better so you can enjoy the BBQ.
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 24, 2011

Upon reading the other recent reviews, we were a bit hesitant to stay at the hotel. But seeing that we had never been there before, it was a nice surprise. I am very picky about cleanliness and the room exceeded my expectations in this regard. It was immaculate! As for the quality of the room and the hotel grounds, it was a very beautiful atmosphere and many activities to choose from. For a second, I almost forgot I was in China...

Our only complaint is walking into the hotel for the first time, we were greeted by a cloud full of cigarette smoke. There were about 10 guys smoking cigarettes in the main lobby. This was very disturbing. There's nothing like getting to your non-smoking room wreaking of fresh cigarette smoke.

What was frustrating is realizing how huge/large the hotel is! There is endless space, and tucked away in the main lobby corner, are 3 couches with a sign that says non-smoking section. If this is a 4 or 5 star hotel, I would expect that this would not be allowed as per courtesy for other guests. With the ample space in the hotel, it would be a kindness to incoming guests and to children to have the public smoking section designated to an other area than the main entrance of the hotel. Management, please look into this matter. Thank you.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank K L
applepeng, General Manager at The Yuluxe Sheshan, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, May 17, 2011
Dear Doulikeit
Many thanks for your feedback in relation to your recent stay and we look forward to welcoming you back when you want to relax and enjoy the tranquility of the surroundings.
In relation to smoking, we have listened to your feedback and have made over 90% of the public area non smoking including our restaurants. We are currently in the process of increasing our signage to indicate all the non smoking areas and we will conduct training for our associates to reinforce this to our smoking guests.
So on your next visit you can enjoy cleaner area.
Regards
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed February 26, 2011

I've visited this Le Meridien three times over the last three years, and the last two visits have revealed a steady decline in the facility, the service, and the standards of management. I don't recommend staying here AT ALL.

First, the facility. Water damage is evident throughout the property. Walls have buckled and crumbled in certain places, such as in our room (see attached photo). However, rather than fix the buckled walls, the hotel has chosen merely to paint over them, leaving the damage quite visible and obvious. That says quite a bit about the care taken here.

Service. I expect a decent, well-maintained gym and locker room at a Le Meridien. I don't find one here. On the day the I visited, somebody had shut off the men's sauna and steam - so I had to turn them back on, personally. The water cooler outside of the sauna and spa was empty and dry, as was the shampoo dispenser in my shower stall. Meanwhile, the attendant assigned to the desk where locker keys are handed out appeared to be more interested in talking on the phone, than service.

Finally, I really have to question the judgment of management at this facility based upon two factors. First, our room had a DVD player, and beside it was a sign informing us that the concierge maintains a library of DVDs. Out of curiosity, we stopped by the concierge desk to inquire about borrowing a CD. The concierge reached into a drawer and handed us a tattered case, perhaps 10% full, of PIRATED DVDs --- and then asked us to leave a RMB 100 deposit to guarantee the return of anything we borrowed. I wonder if corporate knows that this hotel is making money off film piracy. I'd guess not.

Second, it says quite a bit about a hotel when you find, on the mini-bar menu, an entry for "condom." At a minimum, that will keep a customer, expecting a certain level of sophistication from a Le Meridien, to avoid patronizing the mini-bar, and the hotel, again. Pathetic and disgusting.

And finally, this must be the first Starwood hotel in which I've stayed where the free water is two 350 ml bottles. The alternative once that's gone? A $12 bottle of Evian in the mini-bar.

Don't stay here.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FeltonS
applepeng, General Manager at The Yuluxe Sheshan, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, March 14, 2011
Thank you for your loyalty to Le Meridien She Shan and we apologise that we did not meet your expectations during your recent stays. We value your comments and based on your feedback we have made changes to our services.
If your travels bring you back to She Shan please do not hesitate to contact me prior to your stay.
Hong Kong
Reviewed October 29, 2010

I have to come to Le Meridien hotel once a year for work. Everytime, I will stay for two to three weeks.

Three years ago when I first came to this hotel, I was pleasently surprised by the hotel and quality. It has good rooms, facailities and acceptable service. it has a good environment and is quite for relaxation.

Last year when I came to the hotel again, I feel the hotel is really getting old, facilities starts not to function, and it's staff's quality is getting worse. I tried to ask for another pillow type, reception said there isn't any choice.When I came across the hotel manager, I said if hotel has choice of pillow, it would be great. In 15 mins, he sent me the pillow I want. I start to wonder how staff were trained.

This year, here I come again. Hotel is getting even older. For a 5 star hotel, some of the facilities are not working. The first room I stay, iron and iron board were missing. But it was so noisy next door that I want another room, thus I got a new room the next day. When I ask in reception to ensure there is iron and board for me, they said, " Iron and broad are in all rooms". I start to wonder again how this hotel keeps up with their room.
In this new room, the shower with bath tub is not working properly. Carpets were worn out like the first room. Wooden floors are getting old.. so on and so forth.

We also dine in the hotel, in all restaurants. Portion, selection, taste are all getting worse. Not only portion was smaller, taste is terrible for some dishes. I ordered a "Indian Fried noodle", it's sour in taste.. maybe it's me, but I didn't know India likes sour noodle. Choice of food is also limited.. they don't even carry bananas! ... I am just disappointed at this hotel, and I will recommend you to try Sofitel just nearby.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank R2008
applepeng, General Manager at The Yuluxe Sheshan, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, October 31, 2010
Dear Guest,

Please accept our apologies that we did not meet your expectations during your recent stay and thank you for your feedback in relation to the issues that you faced during your stay. The relevant department heads will addresses your concerns and action accordingly.
For your future stays please contact us in advance so that we can directly advise you of the rectifications and also ensure your next visit is memorable for the right reasons.
Singapore
Reviewed September 28, 2010

Stayed here for two nights for a conference. Hotel is in She Shan, which is really not convenient for Shanghai central (if that's what you want). Premises are spread out over large area, and sometimes very quiet when I was there. Consequently, rooms can be a long walk away.
Bedrooms were very spacious, with all mod cons - flat screen TV, DVD player, ironing board, large comfortable beds and bath / separate standing shower. Internet access was available - on the website it says chargeable, but I was given access FOC. Bedding was supremely comfortable, and I wasn't troubled by noise from surrounding rooms - but your mileage may vary :-).
I can't fault the service from the staff - I forgot to bring a travel adaptor, and this was provided gratis and promptly on the night of arrival. Ate at the ground floor cafe once, and service was prompt and helpful. Service for morning breakfast might not have been brimming with warmth and friendliness, but I got everything I needed whenever I needed it. The variety of buffet provided was perhaps not as lavish as those in resort hotels in Malaysia, but quite adequate for my simple needs. The quality of food was somewhat patchy - I don't think this is the right place for eating well in Shanghai.
Grounds were sprawling, and you could take a brisk walk around the lake. I never tried either the pool or the gym facilities.
Overall, pleasant stay - but I didn't pick up the tab, so I can't comment on value for money.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
applepeng, online distribution at The Yuluxe Sheshan, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, October 7, 2010
Dear Guest,

Greeting from Le Meridien She Shan Shanghai!

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time at our hotel. Thank you so much for staying with us and we hope to see you in the near future.
Shanghai
Reviewed July 26, 2010

Exceeding expectation:
-Swimming Pool: one in-house, one in the open-air. Both are clean. there are also two small pools, one Sauna room, and one steam room. Matches the 5-star.
-Decoration of the room: nice. beds and pillows offer a good sllep.
- Location: is very far from downcity. But if you are to stay in Sheshan for leisure, the location is good.

Below expectation:
-Breakfast buffet: like a normal 4-star breakfast, but charges higher.
-Sounds isolation of the room: you can even here next door's TV sounds.
-Dinner buffet: limit choices. The hotel says they don't offer Sashimi since they focus on BBQ. The fact is: the beef is BBQed too tough; the oyster and scallop is ok, but you have too wait a long time as each batch only have small quantity.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
applepeng, online distribution at The Yuluxe Sheshan, a Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Shanghai, responded to this review, August 2, 2010
Dear Guest,

Greeting from Le Meridien She Shan Shanghai! Thanks for your suggestions, your advice is really helpful and valuable to our hotel's operation...We truly apologize for any inconvenience caused during your stay period. I will report the matters to our General Manager and related department heads, we will try our best to avoid the same errors. In addtion, we newly offer several kinds of buffets to match different guests' tastes. we recommend guests who likes seafood could try our Under the Sea Buffet Dinner and Big Blue Brunch for choice. Again, thank you for the comments.