“Not what we expected”

Salvo Hotel Shanghai
Ranked #353 of 5,111 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed July 11, 2014

Our son directed us to this hotel. It was not what we expected - but much, much better. The hotel is in a great location close to Nathan Road and the metro. It also is easy to find. The hotel itself is a little off the main roads which lessens the potential road noise. When you arrive at the airport take the Maglev train to Longyang Station then Metro Line 2 to East Nanjing Road Station and walk to the hotel - no more than ten minutes (this will save you money). The 32km Maglev journey is an event in its own right; the speed of the train has to be experienced. The shopping along Nathan is both interesting and frustrating take the time to visit the market building near the people's Square.

We enjoyed our stay at the Salvo Hotel and we will be back.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the bund
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mark F
There are newer reviews for Salvo Hotel Shanghai

Reviewed June 29, 2014

Shanghai was one of our best travel locations, and our one of our best experiences. The Salvo Hotel was within walking distances of major attractions - The Bund, The Pearl Tower, The subway, Nanjing Road, Yuyuan Garden and we could even walk to our aerial acrobat show "Kaleido". Staff were not as friendly as perhaps those in Malaysian hotels and their English not well understood, but we got along quite well even so. Breakfast was good- more food than we could eat and the room above average. The location was more than we could have asked for and we delighted on venturing out each day for more adventures. We had no tours booked here in Shanghai but we loved our day trips and we used the subway and bus to get to all major attractions. There is more to see than you can get to in a 2 day stopover, so spend a few days if you can.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 26, 2014

We booked two Executive Business suites. We had booked into a hotel nearby but checked out and moved to the Salvo hotel the following day. Funnily it t seemed to be cheaper booking online than at reception, and actually booked online in the lounge of the hotel and received a huge discount after been offered an exuberant amount from reception. We had two business executive rooms high up and had a stunning view over the Bund form our bed. The rooms were huge with a large lounge. In is very close to Pedestrian street 5 minutes walking and close to the city Hop on and hop off bus which was great. Reception staff were unfriendly they seemed very rushed and let you know that. There is no wifi in the rooms you need to get a router but it is provided for free (just a deposit) so not too much of an issue. After showering our bathroom smelt really bad. I thought it was only our room but our friends bathroom stank too after they showered. I am not sure why as I left the ventilator of. After some air conditioner it came right and we got used to it. I would stay there again due to the proximity of things and that it was clean and big, but for no other reason.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 24, 2014

This hotel is located perfectly and the service is very good if you take into consideration most Chinese people speak no English. The Deputy Manager could help us in times of need and the breakfast was good as well. I will definitely stay in that hotel again.

Room Tip: This is a hotel with 30 + floors- we were on the 15th and we were happy with a large room. My hubby...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 21, 2014

3 nights in this hotel and some points below:
-Nice location (10-15 minutes by walk to People Square, but terrible streets view around is guaranteed if you don't know the right way to go)
-English speaking stuff, but not so friendly and helpful, as I usually saw in China before.
-Nice room size (for suite)
-Nice furniture
-Poor lighting in the room
-Poor breakfast and dirty in breakfast area (I saw a cockroach)
-Bad hot water pressure (18 floor) and I was waiting 10 minutes while the cold water become the warm water in the hot-water tap
-I have shower and bath in my room, but shower doesn't work and in the bath I can't stay on my legs straight, cause it's low-ceiling in the bath (I have just 183cm)
-Taxi is also not so easy to catch in this place, so be sure you have 10-15 minutes for this.
-Terrible placement for electricity sockets. Don't fixing the European plug in the electricity sockets (I've checked 4, and the only one was OK)
- Noisy air conditioner (like i'm in the plane)

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 9, 2014

I stayed for a week in a Executive Business suite, it was huge with a large bed close to the window and a good view over the Bund, slightly delimited by other high buildings.
I booked a suite with a view over the Bund because of the low price; they seem to have a lot of discounts making the prices attractive.
The bathroom had a shower and a Jacuzzi, overall very clean. The breakfast was included but barely OK, at least it got me started for the day. Good working internet connection during my whole stay which is important to me.
About 300m to both The Bund and the Metro, means a good location for sightseeing.
The staff could be a bit more friendly.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 30, 2014

OK as part of a long trip across China with a party of 7 one a wheel chair we finished in the Salvo. The good parts: great location typical Chinese alleys and small shops across from hotel. Do try eating in the Chinese restaurants in the street, cheap, good quality and plentiful food. The river front is close as is the east Nanjing road shopping area. Find 580 West Nanjing road which is what the Beijing Silk Market use to be like.
The hotel is reasonable, and while the rooms are large(we had suites) and well equipped they a bit tired. A refurbishment would make this highly recomended, but after the sofitel Nanjing and the Inner Mongolian Grand Beijing this one was third on the like list. A bit of a shame as location makes this a great base for exploring Shanghai and should be not written off; location and price can make up I believe any small let down in the rooms.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family