“great location for a hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Equatorial Shanghai

Hotel Equatorial Shanghai
Ranked #46 of 4,968 Hotels in Shanghai
Falkirk, United Kingdom
“great location for a hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2014

only stayed a couple of nights and in a group of eleven and to be fair the hotel is very good in all aspects, only one issue I had and it maybe down to the fact that UK/Europe hotels are non smoking rooms that I did not think to ask for a non smoking room!
but I was advised by our Chinese adviser that there is not many non smoking rooms in hotels in china, anyway apart from that very good.....

Room Tip: if a non smoker check your room.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
國際貴都大飯店, Marcom Office at Hotel Equatorial Shanghai, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Dear valued guest:
Thank you very much for choosing Hotel Equatorial Shanghai and your comments regarding to the stay.Please feel free to contact us if you have any requirement on your future stay. We will do our best to assist you in everyway possible. Thank you and look forward to be at your service soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

I have been coming to this hotel almost every year whenever I am in Shanghai. Everything is the same, except the rooms is a bit worn out and outdated. Breakfast is not as attractive in terms of variety and quality as before. In order to stay competitive, they seriously need to do something to the rooms and breakfast.

Room Tip: Get a room on the higher floor facing the Bund, amazing view.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
國際貴都大飯店, Marcom Office at Hotel Equatorial Shanghai, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Den Haag, Nederland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2014

We enjoyed a short stay for tourism in this hotel. The hotel is quite modern with wide open spaces and maintenance is done properly, so no comments on its facilities. Location is superb! In the French concession with all kinds of nice things te see and the metro stop is just a 10 minute walk away. The only drawback I found for this hotel was that staff was quite uninterested: I had to dine in the restaurant one night, but it took them quite long before they provided service. Maybe this is a cultural thing (I'm used to a little more assertiveness), but there is room for improvement for them in this area. All-in-all I was very happy staying in this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
國際貴都大飯店, Marcom Office at Hotel Equatorial Shanghai, responded to this review, May 11, 2014
Dongguan City
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014

This hotel is good for business stay due to its location. Nevermind its service and the breakfast quality though.

Room is clean for my need. Area is also quick to get a taxi. Service needs an upgrade from bell man through to concierge. Bed is not comfortable, a bit stiff compared to my other 4 star experiences.

Bathroom amenities is adequate.

If you can have breakfast elsewhere, do it. The breakfast is terrible, in my opinion, for a 4 star hotel.

Room Tip: Walk across to the shopping plaza (Kerry) or Corso Como 1st floor for your breakfast needs (NOT the...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
國際貴都大飯店, Marcom Office at Hotel Equatorial Shanghai, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

I was pleasantly surprised by this business hotel. Good points- 1.value for money: you are paying 1/3 of Hilton's price and it's almost right next to each other. I had paid a little extra for a corner room, and it was worth it with the extra space, making it very comfortable to do my work in the room on the large working desk and large windows with natural light streaming in. 2. Bed was very comfortable. 3. Location was excellent - 5 min walk from Jing'an Si temple metro, which is where you can take line 2 or line 7. Surrounded by restaurants and small eateries and large malls, all within 5 min walk. 4. Friendly and helpful staff. Kudos to the service guy who helps me hail a cab whenever I stepped out; during peak hour he even offered to borrow his colleague's phone to use the taxi-booking app to help me get a cab because it was hard to hail one from the road at that point. So very kind and helpful! Ok, the not-so-great aspects- 1. I forgot to request for a non-smoking room so the room had remnants of smoke smell, especially in the bathroom. 2. My room rate from booking.com didn't included breakfast (30USD if you pay separately) though Internet was included (usually 25USD if you pay separately). 3. Internet, though generally functional, was slow especially in the evenings. Worked better on my cellphone than on the laptop. But I still managed to work in the day , send emails etc. 4. Check-in was slow, there was a long queue that evening for some reason. But check-out was fine. Take note that in china, they always charge you 500 rmb per night (rates vary) per night for deposit when you check in, which is refunded to you afterwards. Not a big deal but the reception didn't explain this to me at check-in, so I was a little surprised when I received the notification of credit card deduction. All in all, I enjoyed my stay here and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to others.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
國際貴都大飯店, Marcom Office at Hotel Equatorial Shanghai, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

We stayed in this hotel as part of a tour so everything was booked and included in the price, but I imagine it was pretty reasonable, since our tour was a great deal. On the whole I was very impressed with the Equatorial. It is in an excellent location within walking distance of Nanjing Rd (popular shopping area) and barely 5 min from the metro. The lobby is beautiful, and I was very impressed with our room. We were high enough to have a nice view too. Breakfast was included in our stay, and it was quite expansive with both western & Chinese choices. Because we were on a tour and our guide checked us in etc, we didn't have a lot of personal interaction with the staff, except the breakfast waiters, but from what I saw the service was excellent. They even packed us little lunches since we had to leave at 5:40am to catch our flight home on the final day, and would miss breakfast time.
I'd say for the value this hotel is amazing, and I'd definitely give it 5 stars/excellent rating, except for one thing which annoyed me. They nickel & dime you (well in this case, perhaps quarter & dollar is more apt) for the amenities. If you want wifi in the rooms, the charge was somewhere around $25/day, according to the exchange rate at the time I was there. They do offer it for free in the lobby which is nice, but then you just have tons of people congregating down there to use it so the couches & chairs are usually taken. Also, I was all set to go to use the gym and later on, the pool, until I got down there and realized they charge for that as well, and it's not cheap. It's as much as a monthly membership at a cheap gym in the States - roughly $34! I don't mean to make a big deal of the little things because the hotel was overall quite fantastic, but I found this rather irritating. I wouldn't mind paying a small fee for certain amenities like these, but I just couldn't justify spending $34 to get a quick 30 min workout before starting my day.
(On the other hand the spa prices seemed pretty reasonable, and we did try to book a massage but they were full at the times we had free.)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
國際貴都大飯店, Marcom Office at Hotel Equatorial Shanghai, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

it takes a "crisis" to really see how the service of a hotel truly is. i had already left the hotel and could not find my passport. i called the hotel and housekeeping immediately sent staff to search my room. they could not find it. i returned to the hotel and the housekeeping staff accompanied me into the room and helped search for my passport. they tried their best to calm me down and accompanied me as i opened up my huge luggage. turns out it was inside. the housekeeping auntie was fantastic. as was the guy in charge of helping guests get cabs. he tried to get me one immediately, as he sensed my urgency. that made a huge difference to my stay. because of that, i'm not an advocate of equatorial.

the other winner is the swimming pool, which is newly renovated. it's perfect. the water is a warm 29degrees. really enjoyable swim, with a view. please note you need swimming caps.

location is fantastic too - 5 min walk from jing'an metro station.

apart from that, the hotel is all right. slightly dated but they try their best. one thing i really don't like is that they are still using shower curtains, which just doesn't seem clean and modern in this day and age. check in and out slightly slow. also, my room key deactivated after the first day because they said i had insufficient deposit, which wasn't true.

glitches here and there but superb service. i would return to equatorial if i'm looking for a hotel in that price range due to the service and the swimming pool.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
國際貴都大飯店, Marcom Office at Hotel Equatorial Shanghai, responded to this review, February 26, 2014