“Beautiful hotel, Amenities are EXTRA”

Hotel Equatorial Shanghai
Ranked #54 of 5,069 Hotels in Shanghai
New York City, New York
“Beautiful hotel, Amenities are EXTRA”
Reviewed March 7, 2014

We stayed in this hotel as part of a tour so everything was booked and included in the price, but I imagine it was pretty reasonable, since our tour was a great deal. On the whole I was very impressed with the Equatorial. It is in an excellent location within walking distance of Nanjing Rd (popular shopping area) and barely 5 min from the metro. The lobby is beautiful, and I was very impressed with our room. We were high enough to have a nice view too. Breakfast was included in our stay, and it was quite expansive with both western & Chinese choices. Because we were on a tour and our guide checked us in etc, we didn't have a lot of personal interaction with the staff, except the breakfast waiters, but from what I saw the service was excellent. They even packed us little lunches since we had to leave at 5:40am to catch our flight home on the final day, and would miss breakfast time.
I'd say for the value this hotel is amazing, and I'd definitely give it 5 stars/excellent rating, except for one thing which annoyed me. They nickel & dime you (well in this case, perhaps quarter & dollar is more apt) for the amenities. If you want wifi in the rooms, the charge was somewhere around $25/day, according to the exchange rate at the time I was there. They do offer it for free in the lobby which is nice, but then you just have tons of people congregating down there to use it so the couches & chairs are usually taken. Also, I was all set to go to use the gym and later on, the pool, until I got down there and realized they charge for that as well, and it's not cheap. It's as much as a monthly membership at a cheap gym in the States - roughly $34! I don't mean to make a big deal of the little things because the hotel was overall quite fantastic, but I found this rather irritating. I wouldn't mind paying a small fee for certain amenities like these, but I just couldn't justify spending $34 to get a quick 30 min workout before starting my day.
(On the other hand the spa prices seemed pretty reasonable, and we did try to book a massage but they were full at the times we had free.)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
國際貴都大飯店, Marcom Office at Hotel Equatorial Shanghai, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear valued guest:
Thank you very much for choosing Hotel Equatorial Shanghai and your comments regarding to the stay.Please feel free to contact us if you have any requirement on your future stay. We will do our best to assist you in everyway possible. Thank you and look forward to be at your service soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed February 24, 2014

it takes a "crisis" to really see how the service of a hotel truly is. i had already left the hotel and could not find my passport. i called the hotel and housekeeping immediately sent staff to search my room. they could not find it. i returned to the hotel and the housekeeping staff accompanied me into the room and helped search for my passport. they tried their best to calm me down and accompanied me as i opened up my huge luggage. turns out it was inside. the housekeeping auntie was fantastic. as was the guy in charge of helping guests get cabs. he tried to get me one immediately, as he sensed my urgency. that made a huge difference to my stay. because of that, i'm not an advocate of equatorial.

the other winner is the swimming pool, which is newly renovated. it's perfect. the water is a warm 29degrees. really enjoyable swim, with a view. please note you need swimming caps.

location is fantastic too - 5 min walk from jing'an metro station.

apart from that, the hotel is all right. slightly dated but they try their best. one thing i really don't like is that they are still using shower curtains, which just doesn't seem clean and modern in this day and age. check in and out slightly slow. also, my room key deactivated after the first day because they said i had insufficient deposit, which wasn't true.

glitches here and there but superb service. i would return to equatorial if i'm looking for a hotel in that price range due to the service and the swimming pool.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
國際貴都大飯店, Marcom Office at Hotel Equatorial Shanghai, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Reviewed January 18, 2014 via mobile

Great Hotel in a great location. 5 minutes to the metro. Beautiful decor but no free wifi in the rooms which is a shame. Great breakfast buffet which had both western and Chinese picks. Nice, clean rooms. Would recommend it to those staying in shanghai.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jennifer N
國際貴都大飯店, Marcom Office at Hotel Equatorial Shanghai, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

Would definitely recommend this, staff are very friendly, location is impeccable, room is clean and well serviced. Only problem is wifi is free only in lobby area, cost is fairly high in the room. But overall, definitely a wonderful experience.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Liliyou
國際貴都大飯店, Marcom Office at Hotel Equatorial Shanghai, responded to this review, January 14, 2014
Shanghai
Reviewed January 8, 2014

This hotel is defiantly worth considering if you go to Shanghai. It has an excellent location just 2 minutes walk to Jingan Temple and the metro station. At check in they were very efficient and friendly and the room was what I would consider to be a good solid 4 star hotel room with everything I needed. Breakfast is a good international buffet.

For a hotel of this quality and location in Central Shanghai the value really is amazing. The only drawback being that the deal I had didn't include internet and to get internet for a day costs 120 RMB, but as the room was so cheap I consider it an acceptable price to pay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Toasty11
Flushing, New York
Reviewed January 4, 2014

This is a clean and comfortable hotel with a great view! There is free wifi in the lobby and a good complimentary breakfast. Plenty of places to visit within walking distance. I enjoyed sipping a coffee and looking out at the city view as the sunset.

Room Tip: Get a higher floor with a city view!