“DON'T EVEN TRY TO GET IN TO THIS HOTEL !!!”

The Seagull on the Bund Hotel
Ranked #183 of 5,059 Hotels in Shanghai
ISTANBUL-TR
“DON'T EVEN TRY TO GET IN TO THIS HOTEL !!!”
Reviewed January 29, 2014

Unfortunately I had to overnight in Shanghai and my agent did the reservation since it was nearby bund and shopping area.
My words will not be enough to describe such hotel was that .. Arrived to hotel around 7 pm and there was no "left" non-smoking room. The worst receptionist I ever seen told me " take it or leave it " by offering a normal room. Was a dirty room with used condoms, so guess the rest !
Went out for dinner and came back around 9 pm just by hoping to relax in the sauna and unfortunately asked the reception " where was the sauna ? " .. The answer was , " I don't know , go to second or third floor and look around " ! I went upstairs, saw a massage saloon and asked if the sauna was there but the answer was " no " .. Than forwarded to elevator and suddenly an old Chinese lady came into and asked if I need girl / sex / massage etc.. Even the answer was so clear " no " 10 minutes later someone knocked my door. There were that lady plus two very uggly girl and a man with POS machine :) I refused them again by shouting loudlyand 10 min later the same lady came for " excusing " herself while asking for 10 $ as a tip !!!
So, as I wrote at the beginning, do not even try to visit this hotel at all..

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank AKALIN
Vicki C, Director of Sales at The Seagull on the Bund Hotel, responded to this review, March 9, 2014
Thank you for your feedback and I would like to apologize for the unpleasant experience during your stay with us. This should definitely not happy and I have addressed these issues to the department heads and associates. Please accept my sincere apologize.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Almaty, Kazakhstan
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Likes: a great location at the north end of the Bund over the Garden Bridge and right on the confluence of Huangpo River and Suzhou Creek. Unbelievable views. Interesting old building.
Dislikes: Late check-in by a reluctant disinterested sulky lady who barely spoke. No night porter (not that we needed one). Filled with noisy people, one of whom yelled into his phone for 15 minutes in the corridor at 1 a.m. Breakfast was so-so and service slow with a rude greeter on day 2. Could not get a seat for evening meal - restaurant full - maybe a function. Service generally poor. Room was small - but the view was fantastic - and it was well-appointed and reasonably comfortable. No Wi-Fi and no help to find a hotspot. Hotspots found at nearby Starbucks and Costa Coffee but as usual, a local mobile number is required. Cost compared to other hotels this trip much more expensive for a much poorer stay, but costs at this hotel were less than most other river view hotels in Shanghai. Not satisfied and would definitely not stay again despite the outstanding views. Shanghai is great, but I will stay somewhere better next time, which probably means going upmarket.

Room Tip: Book a room with a river view, which must be 5th floor and up, preferably 6th and up as there is a r...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Vicki C, Director of Sales at The Seagull on the Bund Hotel, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Thank you for choosing The Seagull on the Bund and your comment! We are sincerely sorry for all the disadvantages that you might have experienced during your stay. We will be the rectification of the above problems. We look forward to having an opportunity to serve you again!

Travelers are raving about these Shanghai hotels

New Delhi, India
Reviewed November 12, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for one night during our business trip to Shanghai. The hotel is perfectly located near the Bund. To take advantage of its location,we booked rooms facing Huangpu River though it was bit costlier than city facing rooms. But, we were surprised to notice dirty carpet inside when we entered into the elevator.Carpet in the corridor and rooms was also stinky.Rooms and bathrooms were small and below average. Morning breakfast was OK as we got some good option to choose from available vegetarian dishes. We had some issues during check-out as attitude of hotel staffs was not at all guest friendly. Perhaps, the only good thing with the hotel was its location. So, I would suggest people to look for some other alternatives as there are very good hotels present nearby.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Vicki C, Director of Sales at The Seagull on the Bund Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2013
Reviewed November 9, 2013 via mobile

It rwally is a shame to stay in this hotel when you are visiting a city with soooo many great hotels to choose from. I did not have much of a choice on this occasion, but I left and moved to Fraser Residence in the French Concession as soon as I could. Mouldy bathroom, smell of sewage, mosquitoes, below average staff and a general sense of being a couple of decades past it's prime. Mind you, the stained glass windows look nice and the view over the river is great, but hey, I was ready to up stocks and move on within a day.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Vicki C, Director of Sales at The Seagull on the Bund Hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your staying our hotel. We’re very sorry that you encountered unpleasant experience. We have reported this case to our hotel management. Your feedback will help us to continue to improve our service, and we do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back on your next visit to Shanghai.
Olanta, South Carolina
Reviewed October 31, 2013

I stayed here with a group of Americans on a study trip at Thanksgiving, 2006. We felt very comfortable and safe at the Seagull. Our visit was to examine educational practices of Chinese schools and community centers. The entire stay was 4 nights. All was clean and comfortable in the spacious rooms. We didn't eat here except for breakfast which was reasonably Western in content. There are Tai Chi performers outside on the plaza that is just outside the breakfast room. The views are superb--the Bund and skyline are spectacular from this vantage point. All plumbing was working well and easy to decipher.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Vicki C, Director of Sales at The Seagull on the Bund Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2013
Thank you for staying at The Seagull on the Bund Shanghai. We are delighted that the hotel met with your expectations. We hope to serve you again on your next visit to Shanghai.
Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

I just got to this hotel and it will be our one an only night. The hotel is old and the staff is rude and NOT helpful at all. The rooms are incredibly small, old, and ugly! They are in really poor state, the bed is hard, you get the feeling of being sleeping on the floor, makes you wonder why do they even bother to put something that I wouldn't call a bed. We booked this hotel by mistake, and seriously it was a HUGE mistake, the bathroom has a leek suuuupeer annoying, they DONT have WiFi! How can they call themselves a 4 star hotel! I try to get us an upgrade, and the ladies from the front desk just said that they were full, on a tuesday? They gave me the impression that they just didn't want to help us out... What kind of hotel refuses to give their guests an upgrade! We were willing to pay...
The TV doesn't work, our window view couldn't be worst. This hotel has made my first visit to Shanghai a living HELL. DONT STAY HERE. 4 stars??? The only thing I would give them is an ending point.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I never know that I can get a very nice view room with a very good price here!
We had a riverview room facing The Bund and Pearl Oriental Tower.

The Bund is just a walking distance and if you plan to have a cheap trip around Shanghai, you can opt for a CitySightseeing bus at The Bund area.

The receptionist here can speak English :)
Room is very clean and decorated in European style.

I will definitely come back here again!
Very good deal!

Room Tip: Ask for a riverview room, high floor.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank clumsyville
Vicki C, Director of Sales at The Seagull on the Bund Hotel, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
We appreciate your recommendation of the Seagull on the Bund as the choice hotel to stay, and we certainly look forward to having you stay with us again.