“Help yourself...”

New Harbour Service Apartments
Reviewed November 1, 2009

I stayed at the NH twice during the last week and had a similar experience to Ausiemum. I was upgraded both times to a two bed suite with great views of the People's Square- 17th and 22 floors. Approx 300M to the new Dashijie metro and about 10 blocks to Nanjing Lu. You could not hear people in the rooms next door- in the rooms I had- but there was a little traffic noise from the streets below. I tried the room service once and it was average. The breakfast buffet was also average(60RMB). I found a cheap internet gaming lounge in Jinling Lu to offset the 5RMB/min that the hotel wanted to charge- it was 3RMB per hour but had no printing and lots of smokers like everywhere else in China. Even with it's short-comings, I would easily stay again at the price and am considering taking my family next time.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed October 31, 2009

This was a good hotel that could be great with a few modifications & training for the reception staff on customer relations. On the positive side was the coin-operated laundry so we were able to do our own laundry. It cost 60 RMB to wash & dry 2 loads (would stay again based on this laundry alone). The other positive was the fact that the metro is within 5 minute walk and a corner shop is just across the road. Our 2-bedroom apartment which we got for a great rate through Expedia was spacious and clean (advertised rate at the hotel counter is much higher). There is a kitchen but you will be charged extra for all utensils including kettle and coffee cups. On a negative note was witnessing the argument between reception staff and some guests who had had their belongings locked in their room following a charge dispute. On a strongly negative note, I asked a receptionist for assistance in booking the ERA circus show (understanding that they charge to make a booking unlike other hotels I stayed at in China). After unsuccessfully trying to convince me to book with their hotel affiliated acrobatic show instead she handed me on to the senior male staff member – may have been the manager (???) - who told me that ERA was not good and that they did not do acrobatics (not true – see trip advisor reviews!). When I still assured him that we still wanted to go to ERA he telephoned their booking service, then told me that they only had the most expensive seats left 590 RMB seats (approx $100 Aust a night) not the 290 RMB seats that I had just seen available via the hotels internet. When I queried this he assured me that the internet details were not accurate. Frustrated, I made my way via metro to the ERA circus ticket office where they had plenty of 290 RMB seats available (surprise, surprise!). This led to a basic lack of trust in the hotel staff (although the laundry ladies were lovely). Having seen the ERA show I would have been very disappointed to have missed it because of the hotels affiliation with another acrobatic show. So, if you are prepared to rely on yourself at this hotel and pay all the extra charges, you can have a great location, spacious, clean apartment, and access to affordable laundry.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank AussiemumBrisbane
Reviewed September 30, 2009

We stayed 6 nights at the New Harbour Apartments.

The apartments are great value for money, large and have a great swimming pool if you are travelling with children.

It is centrally located and there are many shops nearby. It is close to the old town area (sort of in it being on one edge) which if you are not used to traveling in Asia may cause some culture shock.

We hired a guide for the pick up from the airport and six days of guiding. We used Jean from ourexplorer and are glad we did. ( Feel free to contact me if you wish any other info.)

The major difficulty in shanghai is getting a taxi. Even with the address card from the hotel some taxis can't or will not be able to take you their. They either do not know the street or it is not worth their while from the location they are at. The cost of the guide was minimal to the cost of the holiday, added lots of value in sightseeing and eased all the problems of getting back to the hotel. As we were two families travelling we needed three taxis each time. Jean then showed us the metro as well which is a short two block walk from the hotel.

Back to the hotel, we stayed in a two bedroom suite our friends stayed in a three bedroom. They were both clean and maintained each day. Having the kitchen and full sized refrigerator is a great bonus. Breakfasts were included each day and they were more than suitable. The hot items were similar but different on each morning.

Everyone spoke English which was unexpected. The laundry service was great value and prompt.

• Stayed: September 2009
1  Thank fdKen
Reviewed September 22, 2009

Stayed at New Harbour apartments from 7th Sept- 14th Sept 09 with the teenage boys in a three bedroom apartment. Had booked this after heaps of research on this site. We were more than happy with the level of accomodation our boys had their own room which was great, plenty of room to spread out. Had read beds were not good but have to say that our beds were fine as were the pillows. The cultery was not an issue I just took a few plastic pieces with me which sufficed as well as coffee as they charge u for coffee in the room. Water cooler in kitchen which was great and microwave no kettle but no problem. Breakfast inculded for three of us but at 60rmb for the other was not a problem, breakfast was adequate for us westerners obviously not your 5star buffet but had all that we required ie yogurt,cereal,toast,eggs,fresh fruit,juices,coffee. Location is just minutes from Dashjie metro, 10 min walk to Peoples sq and bund although the construction on the bund makes it hard to access from puxi side. The area around the apartments is very local which we loved, we had no problem wandering around at night. Two streets from the snack street, small supermarket across road very cheap for snacks and soft drinks 2litre coke about 1.00aud, fresh milk etc. We were on 26th floor which was just great we had great views. Air conditioning in all rooms, as well as windows that opened which i loved. Laundry can be done on 3rd floor yourself detergent is supplied and at 30rmb for a 5kg wash and 30rmb to dry it saves alot of hassles especially travelling with kids. Internet is in rooms but did think it a tad expensive my 15yr old did go down to the business centre on 2nd floor and it was 20rmb for 30mins which is still pretty expensive. McDonalds just down around the corner right on metro if u are desperate for a junk hit. Overall i would recommend this hotel, we do plan to go back real soon, as we just loved Shanghai.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank travelbugann
Reviewed September 20, 2009

We (3 friends) stayed in September 2009 and were very impressed. The 2 bedroom apartment was very clean and spacious enough for the 3 of us. The kitchenette was small, but then we ate out anyway. The pool and spas were fabulous as was the restaurant and the excellent buffet style breakfast. The apartments are well located and an easy taxi ride to Yuyuan Gardens and the surrounding market as well as the subway station. It is an easy 15 minute walk to the Bund. Unfortunately, the Bund is completely inaccessible as it is totally under construction for the World Expo 2010. But we walked until we came across the pedestrian crossing and went under the river to the Pudong area which has a great walking area along the river as well. Rather than go up to one of the observatories, we chose to go to the Cloud 9 Bar on the 88th floor at the Grand Hyatt in the evening and had the best views of the Bund etc and had a drink for the price of going to Jinmao Tower - a little tip for you. But all in all we would absolutely recommed the New Harbour Apartments and would most definitely stay there if we are ever in Shanghai again.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 19, 2009

My husband I stayed at the New Harbor Service Apartments from Sept. 9th- 15th. This was not our first trip to China. This hotel was one of the best ones we have stayed at. First, remember if you travel to a country that is vastly different from your culture and there are just some things you are going to have to get used to. The smells, sounds and the way the people react to you if you can’t speak their language. Chinese people are very friendly. If you just give a smile and are kind they will respond kindly back to you. Remember you are the foreigner now.
Everything we needed was available to us at the hotel. If you want a 1, 2 or 3 bedroom it is available with a good size refrigerator and gas stove top. If you want to cook you can rent the utensils from the hotel. Let them know when you check in. There are 2 sizes of the 1 bedroom. If you are going to stay a few days and only need a 1 bedroom get the larger of the 2 for no extra charge. It was very roomy. The front desk has English speakers, (not great, but they will try to help you as best they can) and if you think that standing there at the desk and making rude comments is appropriate, don’t. They may not be able to speak or completely understand everything you are saying, but they can understand a lot. So be kind!!! They aren’t stupid. Just use common words and speak slowly (try learning their language). We were able to exchange money very easily. Don’t bring travels checks, it is hard in some hotels to get them cashed and some times you have to go to a bank. This could take several hours (believe me, we have tried). Bring cash and keep it on a money belt on you at all the times. We needed airline tickets to travel to another city and they accommodated us with a smile and efficiency. I needed an iron and ironing board. I called the desk and asked if the person who answered spoke English, and she was able to help me. The only negative I could add is the internet costs about $10 USD per day. The time starts each day at noon and goes to noon the next day.
They have an in-house as well as a self service laundry on the 3rd floor. It was very convenient for us to wash 2 loads of clothes and dry 1 for less than $8USD.
Just outside the hotel is a small grocery store and you can get most things you need. McDonalds and KFC are also very close by (just a 5 minute walk). If you want to eat at the hotel, the restaurant is very good. The menus have English, so try some new foods. There are a number of Starbucks close as well if you need a regular coffee fix. If you are in the mood for some shopping, ask the front desk for directions to “The Nanjing Walking Street” a huge street with every kind of shop possible. It’s near People Square and you will love it. Hope you enjoy this hotel as much as we did. Very family friendly!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BevS79
Reviewed September 9, 2009

I stayed for a week with mypartner, my 2 year old and my 6 yr old, who learnt to swim in the pool. We had two bedrooms, they added a cot for free. The food is all right but the building is next to one of the most famous restaurant streets in Shanghai. The appartments are large with nice views. The location of the hotel is excellent, near people square, the old city, the old market, 10 mn from Nanjing Lu and 5 mn from the underground station, two stops from Pudong. It was a very good place to stay at with children, and near everything we needed. The staff was friendly if not completely fluent at english. They didn't know that the Bund promenade is closed to pedestrians until the EXpo 2010. Try the massage parlour on yongshou road, 1mn from the hotel, 30 yuan for a full body massage, you will not forget.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family