“Another satisfied trip to this hotel”

New Harbour Service Apartments
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Just got home from another trip to Shanghai. This is my second stay here and my husbands fourth. As always I was very happy with my stay. Hot the 3 bedroom apartment this time, 2 baths. Missed all the amenities I got when I stayed for a month though as they are not available for short stay. Overall still very happy

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed February 11, 2013

I am from USA and our standards our high. I have stayed here about 5 times. This is a really nice place and value for Shanghai which is expensive in this city. Near to markets, Nanging Road, shopping and centrally located in a nice area. StarBuck's and McDonalds about 200 yards away. Breakfast is pretty decent by Chinese standards, coffee is drinkable. Full kitchen and fridge in the rooms. Only complaint, not enough Western Channels on the TV and no FOX News.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank CaptainKuddles
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We had a bery pleasant stay. The only drawback was : we had booked AND PAID FOR a 3 bedroom apartment (wife, myself, our 2 kids) many months prior to arriving. On arrival we were told we had been UPGRADED to 2 hotel style rooms. I stood my ground and said "no, thanks, we'll just have what we've booked and paid for" whereupon I was told that there were no 3 bedroom apartments available. I stood firm and spoke to the duty manager. After 10 minutes sitting we were taken to a 3 bedroom apartment that was clean, unoccupied and clearly ready. I hate this sort of practise, I like to be dealt with honestly. The hotel itself was clean, convenient and comfortable. Breakfast was very expensive for China, give it a miss there are a couple of terrific bakeries within a minute or two walk.

Room Tip: Don't be fooled by the "We don't have your room" or "We've given you an u...
5  Thank Indiman9
Reviewed December 29, 2012

A very nice apartment hotel very clean nice dining room good food and full of excellent staff.who helped get the taxis for us including back to the airport very cheap to where ever you wanted to go. This apphotel is idealy situated in the middle of everything, a ten minuet walk to the famouse Bund where you can stroll along or go on a river cruise as we did but at night with all the buildings lit up it was brilliant, then not two far away was the old town full of lots of suprises and bargans if yoiu want to haggle. Will i go again yes in fact i plan to go in may 2013. ps free wifi just get the code from reception.

1  Thank Roger P
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We have stayed in this hotel several times using a variety of rooms from a one bedroom suite to a three bedroom unit. It has plenty of room, a swimming pool, gym and is close to the subway, restaurants, parks, grocery shops. It is a quick walk to the bund or Yu Gardens. With a small child this is the only place we stay when we visit shanghai. The breakfast in the restaurant isn't much (but we are not a fan of most Chinese hotel breakfasts anyway). Some of the rooms can be a bit smokey and the furniture can be a bit run down. But we love all the space and the free cale Internet in the room. If you have a family and are visiting shanghai this is the place to stay.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Geoff D
Reviewed December 25, 2012

We rented a 3 bedroom appartment on the 17th floor. It was nice, clean and cosy. We stayed for 3 nights with a group of 3 adults and 2 children (5&2years). The master bedroom with a queensize bed and en suite bathroom and on the other site of the living room 2 bedrooms, a small room with 1 small bed and another room with a double bed. These 2 rooms shares a common bathroom. A small kitchen with equipment ( microwave, refrigerator) but without kitchen ware which you can hire per day. Chinese table ware for 4 persons provided and if you wish you can rent western table ware for the whole stay.
The location is convenient to explore the city, Nanjing road, the Bund, people's square are within walking distance. Supermarkets and a lot of restaurants round the corner so we didn't feel the urge of using the kitchen.
It is a nice place to stay and we will surely recommend it and will consider to come back if we'll visit Shanghai again.

2  Thank royDrachten
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Booked to stay in their "Executive Bedroom Suite" with Expedia. The booking stated: A room on the 16-25th floor, with free DVD Player, luxury interior, slippers, free WiFi and lots of other things.

The room they gave me:
Standard Room, grim boring interior. Nothing like the photograph.
10th Floor. Well below the Executive Rooms on the 16th floor upwards.
No DVD Player. 1 channel in English.
Old "big" television from the 1980s, not a flat screen tv.
Wired internet 15RMB per minute, through the hotel room's phone. Not free. No WiFi.
No slippers. Not much else either.
A bare kitchen with just two plates and two mugs, and two chopsticks.
No glassware. No pots. No pans. No cutlery.
Four tea bags, and two sachets of sugar!!! Brilliant.
A broken fridge, which kept heating up.
Windows single glazed and loose, with wind blowing in all day. Freezing cold hotel room.
Room was measured by us at 68sq/m, not the 97sq/m one we'd paid for.

Getting the deposit back on check-out was a nightmare, it took them 25 minutes to find the booking. They claimed it was our fault for destroying the deposit reciept (which stupidly has the full card number printed on it!).

Gave the hotel the chance to correct their mistake - Went to the reception desk an hour later and asked if my room was an Executive Room - they insisted it was. They stated the WiFi was "not free" and the "DVD players could be 'rented' for a fee", but they'd ran out.

Later, on returning home, I emailed the General Manager to ask for the difference in money paid back. Their response was excuse after excuse. They failed to refund the extra money they stole for an Executive Room. Although they did apologise "for my confusion" (!!!!) they have still not apologised for "taking my money".

--- To this day, they still deny giving us their cheaper, standard room ---

They are crooks who don't care about guests, especially Westerners. How Expedia gave them an Insider's Award in 2010 is completely beyond me. Stay somewhere else ...I've also stayed at the lovely Bund Riverside Hotel for much less money.

I've worked in hotels for some time, and this place is one to avoid.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple