“Buzz of the town and well deserved!”
Review of Fortune Cookie - CLOSED

Fortune Cookie
Cuisines: American, Chinese, Bar, Fusion
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Former French Concession
Description: American style Chinese food has made its way to China. If you are in the mood for Sweet and Sour Pork, Orange Chicken, or some Egg Rolls, we are here! We also have craft beers on draft and a full beverage list. Fortune Cookie has spacious and comfortable booth seating with lively ambiance and an open kitchen. Reservations are recommended. We accept Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Union Pay Cards.
Reviewed June 11, 2014

After reading all the hype on different websites and newspapers, I finally had to go. I mean why go to an American Chinese restaurant in China?!

Love it or hate it… this place does American Chinese food right. A group of friends and I had a bunch of egg rolls, general chow chicken, rack of ribs, chicken and broccoli, chicken salad, and a few more dishes. The ribs are amazing! The chicken and broccoli transported me back to my childhood and the hot mustard and pork egg roll nailed it. Wow. I didn't realize how much I missed this food until I ate here.

I personally didn't try the soup or any of the fried ice cream dessert but my friends ordered and finished everything.

A few of things that should be noted here…

1. Prices are very reasonable, if not a little low, when you factor in decor and service. You will find cheaper food options in this city but there are also loads of much more expensive ones too. The service here is very good and fun. Not sad and robotic like you will find at some of the nicer hotels even. It's hard to explain. Everyone just seems to be having fun here.

2. Unlike the Chinese joints back home, this place has a great beer and drink menu! I guess this drove up our bill a bit. :( They have brooklyn lager on draft! what?!

3. Try to make a reservation as we waited for a while for our table :( They have a bar up front and the beer helped though.

4. Try to sit towards the back as the sound of the phone ringing was a little annoying towards the front.

5. Portions are big here! American portions.

Each of us ended up paying about 175 RMB (Under $30) for a ridiculous amount of food and several beers each.

2  Thank Warren D

Reviewed June 10, 2014

I am a big fan of tripadvisor and follow the site closely. if they did not mention this place i would have probably not noticed this place..at the 4 floor of chang shu lu julu lu..unfortunately this place might be interesting if it was in usa...but in china we like to have chinese food why we have american chinese food in shanghai...anyway the price is high comparing to what to get...having a 95 rmb beef salad from PHUKET is not a experience that i would like to repeat..and the other food is just ok...such as lemmon chicken sesame shrimp...but the people in service is nice and smiling face...guess still at soft opening phase and might try again after this stage passed...

Reviewed June 7, 2014

After being in Shanghai for about 10 weeks and doing our best to try new foods every day, my kids and I enjoyed a reminder of home when we had lunch at Fortune Cookie.

We started with an old favorite of Crab Rangoon (which you just don't find at a traditional Chinese restaurant) and it was delicious - crispy, filled just right, and with an excellent dipping sauce. Our Orange Chicken had just enough of a spicy kick, and the sweet and sour pork was "just like we remember it" from the US. We ordered the house special chou mien (fried noodles) which throws all the meats in there, and it was all tasty, especially the beef which was perfectly tender.

On our way out, we had the pleasure of chatting with one of the managing partners, who was very kind and friendly. We will definitely be back on a day when we just need a reminder of our good-ol' American Chinese food!

Reviewed May 26, 2014 via mobile

Awesome restaurant. We found Fortune Cookie on TripAdvisor and decided to give it a try. The atmosphere is relaxed and fun and the cuisine is more American style Chinese. The food was excellent though and the service was great. We met one of the owners, Fong, who was very courteous and helped us navigate all of the hot spots in Shanghai. By far our favorite restaurant so far in Shanghai!

Reviewed May 15, 2014

This restaurant first came to my attention because of its concept "American Chinese" food in China. As any American Expat will tell you, we miss Chinese food the most, ironically while living in Asia! Haha The Concept got me in the door.
The atmosphere, service and menu kept me in my seat. A big open kitchen, friendly staff, great involved owners, great menu, etc...
What has me raving, and will bring me back many more times is the food. First, this is not traditional Chinese food; there are no Chicken Feet, nor fish head, if you are looking for Chinese food look elsewhere. I read that they started telling locals it is just "American Food" and it has been more accepted locally that way. This is American Chinese food, just as you would expect to find in any self respecting strip mall in America. The food was all of the familiar dishes and prepared excellently. Egg Drop is my soup of choice and this may have been the best I have ever had and I have tried it everywhere! Kung Pao chicken took me back home to my own kitchen eating out of take out containers. I was pleasantly surprised to start with the crispy fried noodles and a version of duck sauce.
I only make it to Shanghai occasionally, but this is now on my must visit list, it may even effect my hotel location choice. If you are an American in Shanghai and have ever eaten local Chinese food, even just visiting, stop in here to be taken back to the other side of the world. To all the Chinese locals stop in with an open mind and try the American food!