“Entertainment for the small ones”

Shanghai Wild Animal Park
Ranked #49 of 1,334 things to do in Shanghai
Reviewed November 13, 2012

The park is in a poor condition with poorly treated animals. But - that is the same anywhere in China . Besides it is a good trip to entertain your kids. Besides the animals there are also some shows to see.

4  Thank chinanenni

Reviewed August 5, 2012

This zoo is 100 times better than the garbage littered zoo in west Shanghao (PuxI). I feel really sorry for the animals in that zoo.

It is a little difficult to get too, but we took the two public as advised by one of my wife's friends. For foreigners I advise your to take a few sandwhiches before you arrive as there seems to be only Chinese food available inside. It costs 130 CNY to enter the zoo for an adult, anyone below 1.3 metres is free.

You can drive your car through some parts of the zoo or rent a bicycle, but we chose to walk. The animals have a lot of room tp play around in and seem to be treated quite well too. Though I wasn't too amused seeing people riding emus and then a race between two leopards to catch the rabbit on the dog track, though the winner got to eat some frsh red meast afterwards.

I also enjoyed going in bus to see the Big Cats, though the bus didn't seem to stay longer enough in our section to get the full enjoyment. Note you have to pay extra to do this part of the zoo and I think it is 20CNY.

Overall we enjoyed our day out, and the kids had been wanting to go for a while too.

2  Thank wnash
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Yes, you can! Riding in a very ill equipped bus that could make you the next meal. I have a photo of a tiger's eye. The animal was so close I could feel his hot breath! A unique experience. You must pay extra for this and pay for the chicken. The rest of the park is also nice to visit. At opening time an animal show is performed near the gate. Do not miss this, only in China!

5  Thank ShanghaiExpat_12
Reviewed July 3, 2012

I do not recommend this place! I went there after hearing how well the animals were treated and how you could pat lion and tiger cubs. We saw a baby black bear all alone in a square room with a concrete floor and nothing to play with. He was so happy to see us as he was starved of any other entertainment. We played with him through the glass for about 20 minutes because we felt so bad. We then saw a lion cub in another room with a concrete floor and its fur was discoloured and it was very skinny. Futher down the line were more and more baby animals that had been taken away from their mothers and put in concrete rooms.
We also saw 2 tiny racoons who were in an incubator because they were so small. There was a Chinese worker standing next to the incubator smoking!
After this we saw a chimpanzee in a room all by himself and he was MAD! His arm had a huge gash in it and blood was dripping as he stomped around on the concrete.
The next stop was a fully grown male lion, but he had no other lions with him. Lions live in prides in the wild, not solitary!
We had heard there was a tiger and lion show on in around half an hour and we heard them practicing. Poking our heads in we saw the 6 tigers petrified of the trainers. The trainers had long metal electric sticks and the tigers knew to be scared of them. I have never seen a tiger look so much like a scared little kitten as it tried to avoiding going near the man. That was it for us and we left after 45 mins at the Park.
As far as Im concerned it should be shut down. Come to Australia to see how animals are meant to be treated!

23  Thank BelGCanberra
Reviewed June 17, 2012

One part of the park is accessible on foot, the other part is a bus safari. The landscaping is beautiful. If people did not feed the animals candy in paper, potato chips etc. this location would rate an excellent.

6  Thank chopstickmama