“An exciting underwater acquarium!”

Shanghai Ocean Aquarium
Ranked #38 of 1,323 things to do in Shanghai
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Delightfully spacious and well-lit aquarium filled with a great selection of Asian fish. The highlight is the impressive tunnels where you under the tanks and surrounded by fish.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Activities for young children, Activities for older children
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Very well organized underwater acquarium worth visitng. It is in Shanghai city center with many other attractions around. The underwater tube is lengthier than that of Singapore acquarium. Every tourister coming to Shanghai shoud visit the Ocean acquarium. However, the Singapore acquarium seems to be more attractive.

There are newer reviews for Shanghai Ocean Aquarium

Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

We stopped into the aquarium on a Saturday afternoon. The ticket was about 20 USD. We were expecting a huge tank, which this does not have. Rather, It is madr up of probably 100 smaller exhibits. Due to the large crowds, it was less enjoyable. The jelly fish exhibits were the most interesting. We weren't able to get close enough to see the penguins. Try to go on a weekday

Reviewed June 1, 2013

This is a very average city aquarium that is better suited for residents (which includes expats like myself) to bring their kids. My kid loves it (who I bring at least once a month on a pass), but I would never suggest this place as a must visit attraction for outside visitors (unless you have never been to an aquarium in your life). You are better off spending the money visiting the Oriental Pearl Tower down the street which is unique.

I just went this weekend, and there was no crowd control whatsoever. Not sure if it was because of Children's Day weekend, but it was the crowdest I have ever seen to the point I was relieved to get out of there with my daughter.

With that said for an aquarium it is decent, and they did not spare expense for the 150m long conveyor belt to take you through the long tubes of aquariums. If you are lucky you may see a diver in there swimming with the sharks. If I were living in Pudong, the family pass is cheaper than going to the place twice. And if you are visiting Shanghai with small kids and you want to work something in the itinerary, then a 1-2 with the Pearl Tower and Aquarium would make a nice half day.

But if you are solo or couple travellers wanting to see the best of Shanghai, just avoid it at all costs.

1  Thank redpagoda
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I had read the place being pricey and small. Not exactly. I spent good time with all the good stuffs here. I loved the concept of escalator through aquarium. I loved people enjoying that part. The aquarium tunnel gave feeling of being in the water. Sharks, penguins, and jelly fish in colorful backdrop synced with music...it was amazing. You can't avoid buying few stuffs from souvenir shop placed cleverly at the end. I loved my visit here.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

I went to the aquarium to dive there but the water was very cold for me even i got 6mm wetsuit.
my experience was, I was roaming around just to see whats happening there. I was trying to ask the exit but nobody knows how to speak English, thanks God because i got my S4 phone with me to translate the word into their language. It is really bad if you don't have translations phone with you because nobody can speak English there. You must book a head of time so that you can have a discount ,you may visit there website. This aquarium is good for training for your scuba buoyancy and Freediving equalization, which it has 16 meters depths, and if ever you are interested to wear and practice swimming like a mermaid you can do it there also. you can take taxi going there also or bus, make sure that you have a map and guide line with you all the time.try it

2  Thank cebugadie