“Been many times. My daughter loves it”

Shanghai Ocean Aquarium
Ranked #34 of 1,316 things to do in Shanghai
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Delightfully spacious and well-lit aquarium filled with a great selection of Asian fish. The highlight is the impressive tunnels where you under the tanks and surrounded by fish.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Stairs / elevator, Activities for young children
Shanghai China
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Been many times. My daughter loves it”
Reviewed October 9, 2012

This aquarium was great. Ive been many times. the only drawback is the ticket price. Go on a week night.. when there are few people. YOu can really take your time.

Displays rotate with what seams like every 20 months there are a few things different. Jelly fish and sharks are amazing as well as the many turtles.

Im not a big fish lover, but I love going back with my daughter and still find it amazing

Visited September 2012

• Thai first
Worongary, Australia
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 185 helpful votes
“It's okay ... better than expected”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Being my 6th visit to Shanghai I was starting to visit the places I wouldn't have considered initially - and mainly because it's a place where animals are kept (not always ideal in China) - I was always reluctant to visit this attraction. I knew not to visit on a weekend (horrendous crowds) and by sheer luck, the weekday I visited, it was half price. Better value - but I would agree that otherwise, it is quite a pricey attraction for China.

Still apparently feeding the crocodiles terrified live ducks I took off from the crocodile pond when I realised what was about to happen. (YES! so kiddies beware - mind you, the Chinese love it, with toddlers held aloft to witness the little ducks' gruesome end - barbaric me thinks!). Aside from all that, I was actually quite surprised by the Aquarium - I was expecting a lot less - and if you keep that in mind, that it is just an oversized "aquarium", you won't be too disappointed.

The aquariums were clean, the creatures looked healthy, and it follows a theme. I liked the underwater tunnels. I really enjoyed the neon jelly fish displays. I even liked the penquin enclosure, albeit basic. But they looked happy enough. If you are desperate to fill in a few fishy hours, it's okay and kids would probably enjoy it. It is a bit dark in places, the other local guests can be pushy and loud, and I do wish they wouldn't bang on the glass. There does need to be a bit more crowd control but .... it's not the norm here. The shop is a downright rip off with its cheap stock. Overall, it was okay! Better than I expected.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank HappyTravelsQld
Beijing, China
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Completely overrated!!!”
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I really expected something better for the $25 per adult (160 RMB), but we were done in 1.5 hours! The exhibits were okay, but not worth the price at all. There was no crowd control, people were "hitting" the baby sharks with their water bottles, and there was even a fake alligator in the water! This clearly is a hit for Chinese who never have a chance to visit the ocean or snorkel and pales in comparison to even the Beijing Aquarium. Don't waste your time or money. I have never written reviews before, but this was so annoying that I had to take the time to do it.

Visited October 2012
3 Thank Enewland
Beijing, China
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Terrible”
Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

Absolutely laughable aquarium. Poorly staffed exhibits which for the most part are home-type aquariums set into walls. The mere fact that the museum decides to use fake alligators in its exhibits says a lot about this place. Shameful at any price, but outrageous at nearly $26pp.

Phuket, Thailand
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“A good way to kill an hour or so”
Reviewed October 1, 2012 via mobile

A pretty average aquarium which we only visited to pass an evening. A decent size with a lot of exhibits and entry is not expensive. All exhibits have photo guide and explanation in English.

1 Thank meowf