“Good steak in Shanghai, ok service”

The 1515 West, Chophouse & Bar
Ranked #22 of 17,076 Restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Jing'an
Description: Reinterpreting American dining The 1515 West, Chophouse & Bar combines the aesthetics of a movie set in Old Shanghai with the décor of a classic American bar and grill. The restaurant's generous portions of beef from cattle reared in Australia will delight meat lovers. The Tasting Bar offers oysters and other fresh seafood from around the world. A wine cellar featuring top new world red wine and a selection of white wine, champagne, vermouth and sherry ensures that Sommelier Jasper Sun stays busy. The New-York-style Classic Bar offers views of the piazza and the former home of Chairman Mao. It features a selection of classic and unique spirits. Here, cocktails are created personally by the bar manager and mixologist. Fresh bread, artisan cheese and cut-to-order charcuterie are available for takeaway.
Reviewed April 12, 2014

Went for brunch with my husband for a late Sunday lunch today. We normally went to Calypso but we wanted steak today. Good variety of steak on the menu and not overly expensive (better value than Morton). But not all the staff are knowledgable about the steaks. We got lucky to have Frank who knew the food and was cheerful. The other staff are clueless. Nice and quiet environment. We didn't try any desert, but the desert menu was high-priced. Other tables seemed to enjoyed what they ordered. One more reminder, the restaurant is inside Shangri-la, so there's 15% charge on top of the bill. We'll probably go again for the steak.

2  Thank Keren C

Reviewed April 12, 2014

I have been in 1515 many times since last summer. I like the concept, casual yet sophisticated. every time I go with my friends or colleagues Eddie and Dario are great hosts and the whole team are there to make our evening worth every cent. The steaks are fabulous and the drinks are very well made. The only thing is when they are busy, the service could be a little slower than usual. Beside that, Steak tartare and Rib Eye, Ramos gin fizz and Moscow mule are absolutely my favorites in this venue. I will keep going back.

1  Thank Martinix2014
Reviewed April 8, 2014

My business partner invited me to grab a drink in the bar in this fantastic hotel.
Unfortunately liked most of the reviewer said its a disaster, the arrogant Italian manager treats his client badly, he's not so happy if the guest struggles on any of classics cocktails and also love to convince to have his own cocktails, maybe he is the most creative mixologist in the world but in fact we thought he is the worst hospitality guy here.
If you go there, don't order Gin tonic such a simple drink otherwise never ever ever try your tones in this bar.

1  Thank Vleong
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Fantastic place, everything is 5 stars: service, food, wine, atmosphere, waiter's attitude! Not to be missed if you are looking for a great steak!

Reviewed March 30, 2014

I don't usually write reviews for restaurant. I only write for really good experience or really bad...this one, unfortunately is really bad. And here below is why...based on two visits.

Good:
Restaurant is part of Shangri-La Hotel in Kerry Center, which is located in the heart of the Jing An city centre.

The food is average, not worth the money.

Bad:
The ventilation of the restaurant is really bad. The entire dinning area and lounge area are full of charcoal grease smell. It just stick to your clothes and hair, pretty disgusting.

Ugly:
1st visit: My friend's birthday dinner. They didn't have bday cake and didn't offer any desert for bday boy...here is the best part. They wouldn't let us to bring our own bday cake!!! Seriously?!

2nd visit: The bar staff and bar tender lack of training and are not friendly. We tried to order very common and simple cocktail and no one understood us. We talked to the Italian bar manager and he's too arrogant and impatient to listen to us.

Neither visits were my choices, and I'm pretty sure that I won't go again and won't recommend anyone to go.

If you want steak, try Roosevelt on Tai Yuan Lu. They have the best steak in town. If you want cocktail and drinks, there are tons of bars and lounges that are much better than 1515.