“If you need BBQ while in Shanghai”
Review of Stubb's Legendary Bar-B-Q - CLOSED

Stubb's Legendary Bar-B-Q
Cuisines: American, Southwestern, Barbecue, Steakhouse, Bar
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Former French Concession
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Perfect ambiance--feels like you are in Texas. Great music. Good q. Wait staff was a bit overwhelmed, but we were a big group. A definite place to eat if you need western food in the midst of a Shanghai stay.

Reviewed January 30, 2014

Long time Austinites, now living in far Southwest Yunnan, China. One of us was actually born in Lubbock (original home of Stubb's before Austin.) Suffice it to say, we've eaten at all the incantations of Stubb's over the years and all we can say is not only is this authentic Texas BBQ -- it's actually better BBQ than Stubb's back in Austin.

Atmosphere is great & authentic - complete with the ArcAngel Concert Posters & Willie Nelson photos :) Live music on the Saturday night we were there - very talented.

Service is fantastic - attentive and positive. One of the GM's (Mike) came by to check on our party -- could not have been more gracious & thoughtful.

Ok -- the food: We sampled pretty much everything on the menu and it was all really, really good. And I don't mean "For-China-it-was good". No caveats. It was just really good! From the appetizers (the Mac & Cheese and pulled pork sliders) to the main courses (brisket, smoked chicken, sausage) -- everything was great.

Yes, it can be expensive by local Chinese street food standards, but its eminently reasonable in terms of overall value-for-money and by any higher-end restaurant in Shanghai. Overall, it was fantastic and we could not recommend Stubb's Shanghai more highly. We will be going back soon!

1  Thank TrippMaxAustin
Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

In response to a previous post, it is easy to miss. 2 hours of walking, 1 taxi ride back to our starting point ( he couldnt find this place either) and 3 calls to the ridiculously unhelpful restaurant worker, we gave up and went all the way to Carls Jr.
So disappointing! I would have believed this place didn't exist if ut wasn't for the stupid girl that kept answering the phone.

We won't even bother to try again.

Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

...and everything else. Might not be the cheapest, but place does BBQ right! I was told their entire set of stainless cooking equipment was imported from the US, along with the recipes. Brisket and pork shoulder are slow-roasted, 12-16 hours over a wood fire. Not sure if it's hickory, but the BBQ tasted great. I had brisket, and one colleague has a burger and the other pork shoulder. I also liked the pumpkin soup. We had warm apple pie and ice cream for dessert. Worth the trip of you're tired of eating noodles and dumplings and want a taste of home.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

I can't say I've ever been to the Stubb's in Austin, TX, but I have eaten at the location in Shanghai! I am from Houston and when I go get BBQ near Austin there is no other place I'd rather eat than the Salt Lick! Nonetheless, this was pretty good especially being in China. I had the pulled pork sandwich and it was tasty. We have friends that live there and we visited with them. They tend to dine there often. The owners are very nice and we got merchandise to bring back with us. They have a band playing live music. Tried the pumpkin soup for the first time and was pretty good as well; different taste than I expected. I would visit again next time I'm in Shanghai.