“Superb”

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch
Neighborhood: The Bund
Reviewed January 26, 2014

We went here for a celebratory dinner. It was our first time in Shanghai ( there were 9 of us) and we ate like kings.

Food was reasonable priced, my meal came to £19 including sushi and a cocktail. One of the best cocktails I have ever had, although the names escapes me.

Food was superb, well laid out, handmade to perfection. Definitely recommend this place.

1  Thank K S

Reviewed November 22, 2013

Dinner on a friday evening is expected to be good...but turned out the other way!

I went there with a colleague. We could get a place with out reservation!...On a friday evening in the Bund area in Shanghai. Hmm I should have taken the clue.

We were served wit uncooked pandan chicken, red chicken curry that tasted curry powder and at the end we got a hefty bill!!
Oh ya, the corner sofa seat will get occasional water dropping from the air conditioning duct above!
Location - 8/10 (its the bund in Shanghai!!)
Service quality - 7/10
Food quality - 3/10
overall experience - 5/10
Return - NO WAY

3  Thank Anand R
Reviewed September 25, 2013

This was my second visit to the eatery, the first being in March when it was known as Red Door. Then, the experience was okay, though the rabbit panini was hard as pancakes. This time, after the reinvention as Lotus Red and seeing the reviews, I decided to give it another go.

But the service was so bad that I decided not to even get in. Not sure how they won for best service. The restaurant looks similar to its previous look as Red Door, with its NYC style stuffed sofas etc, and has utilized some of the staff as well. When I arrived, I was 45 minutes early. In the midst of explaining to the young waitress at the front door, a couple of ladies arrived and I let them ahead of me. However, when the waitress returned a few minutes later, she was accosted by yet another couple and became flustered as she could not find their booking - apparently they had booked that morning only and it was not reflected. Once that was settled, a swarm of people arrived. She totally ignored me even as she sat eight other people.

So after standing there for ten minutes, I decided to leave after telling the male manager to take my name off the reservation. Imagine my surprise about 40 minutes later when I got a call asking if I was having my meal there! They certainly need better training and communication.

Even though I love Thai food, this is the last time I will step in there.

1  Thank Orator11
Reviewed September 21, 2013

The main problem of this restaurant is the service - we were 4 people for dinner and started by sharing some appertizers and cocktails which were very good, although the coctails were so full of ice that the quantity seemed not much ...
Then one of us ordered a lobster and was told there would be around 15 minutes delay to prepare it - which was fine. Someone else ordered mango veal, another one was shrimp and asparagus with coco milk and I chose the chicken with cashew. We all order fried pineapple rice to share.
The chicken came first after a good 25 minutes and I chose to start eating as it would become cold. I almost had the time to finish my dish when the lobster came - the other two had still not been served.
To be fair, the waiter noticed and apologized and served us complimentary Thai milk tea. which was refreshing and creamy.
When we all finished our main we decided to have a look at the desert menu and even had time to order it when the fried pineapple rice arrived! (we had forgotten about it).
The meal in itself wasn't bad but far from being the best thai I ever had! The veal didn't taste like veal but was probably beef and came with just 2 or 3 squares of mango.
The deserts were nice but again, nothing amazing.
The restaurant was far from being full - I think just us and 2 other tables so I don't know what could have been the excuse for this catastrophic service but to be fair the waiters were nice and attentive.

1  Thank lpb_38
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I agree the taste is very very good. we got Tom yum soup and its probably the best I have had in Shanghai, but there was little seafood in it. Problem with this restaurant is portions are small. We ordered Green chicken curry, a dish that is not expensive and it was hard to find any chicken in it, instead there were potatoes. Curry sauce was more than enough and taste was good.. we ordered some minced beef, this one was good portion, good taste, good meat. service is good, they are very attentive, and since the restaurant is in soft opening i guess they are polishing it. Dessert, we were a little disappointed. We ordered the tai dessert that we get in most of the restaurants and this wasn't good at all... We would go back if they increase the quantity of the main components of the meal, specially after the soft opening discount is finished, because prices aren't cheap if you pay the regular price.

Overall a good restaurant, good taste, nice decoration, good service. i would like to go back during the soft opening promotion and for lunch as they have a very good set menu!