“Stay in dark room with no fun then go there or ESCAPE this place”

Mr. X -- Escape Room Game and Puzzle House
Ranked #1 of 32 Fun & Games in Shanghai
More attraction details
Owner description: This attraction is one of a kind. It is an activity for groups in a puzzle house which in its general idea resembles the activities you see on Fort Boyard.
Reviewed March 7, 2014

If you want to pay 120 rmb to stay one hour in a black room just trying to understand clue/indication which are broken or erased or simply impossible to find as you need too much time THEN go there!!
I advice NOT TO GO
We went with 2 couple of friends who think the same.
There is no fun as the crew doesn't want you find enigma ... perhaps to not say to other then just to guess the first (because they did not give you any explanation, not really friendly) enigma you have to fight against broken feature, then you ask help but crew did not apologize. Then you really can not find your way.
I precise that we are all engineer with a normal degree of knowlegde !!
You just spend time to guess an can go from one clue to an other.
This place is stupid, without any fun as this is too complicate... play card, go to KTV or bowling this is cheaper and more funny...

2  Thank Isapierre5
There are newer reviews for Mr. X -- Escape Room Game and Puzzle House

Reviewed March 7, 2014

If you love quirky places and like to solve puzzles, then Mr. X is the right place to go to.
It's a game house where a group of 8 - 10 people get locked in a room and are tasked to find an alternative escape route within an hour by looking for clues within the room.

We were a group of 4 and we went there on our last day in Shanghai with no reservation. We were lucky enough to still find a slot but our group was merged with another team to fit the minimum 8 - 10 people requirement for a room.

You can choose from 5 different puzzle rooms with varying levels of difficulty. We got The Time Machine Room (Room 5) which was the most difficult puzzle room. We had fun but didn't get out in time because we were over thinking all the clues. If we had more time, we would've gone there again.

Fee: 120RMB per person.

1  Thank Dee_CMG
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Tired of the same same bar and club options on the weekend? Try something completely different. Mr. X offers several themed mystery room adventures (levels range from easy to expert). The basic idea is to use clues, or navigate obstacles, in order to escape from one room to the next until you are free.

We went as a group of 8 (8 guarantees you can play without being merged with other small groups) for part of my wife's surprise birthday party (this place is also great for team building) and chose the alien autopsy room. Even though we solved this intermediate level puzzle, it came down to the wire and was filled with moments of panic, excitement, frustration, joy and the wonderful"ah-ha's" of epiphanies.

Book by purchasing tickets well in advance. Off hours are 100 rmb and regular is 120 rmb. Each game lasts 1 hour. I recommend having at least one Chinese and one English speaker for translation and clue interpretation. Most suitable for teenagers on up through adults. Note, some climbing, crawling and squatting may be involved.

2  Thank EJChina
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Crazy and astonishing place. I never imagine something like this could even exist. It is like a child's dream come true.
I went to this place following a friend suggestion. Actually, I was pretty surprised to find this kind of place in China: I never consider the possibility there was one in Shanghai!

The game explanation is simple: get out of the room in 1h. There are several rooms, each one with its own difficulty. Someone is really impossible to solve and to get out in an hour!! So be careful about which one you choose and don't overestimate yourself otherwise you will just waste money and time for being stuck in a room without doing nothing for an hour.

Start with the simple one just to get how it works, then you are always on time to try another one and go on. Not everyone like this kind of game, but I had a lot of fun, even if we were unable to get out on time! Yes, we did the mistake to choose one of the most difficult room! So don't do like me and choose cleverly a simple one!

Book in advance and have fun!

Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I moved to Shanghai 5 months ago & were becoming bored with the typical "attractions" when family came to visit. We wanted something FUN. I stumbled across this one day while his brother & sister & friend were visiting and the description sounded like a blast! This is China, though, so my expectations weren't very high. An English website would be helpful, but smartshanghai.com gives a thorough review if you're interested. Just don't believe the line in it about having a Chinese friend to book the tickets. My husband used his Chinese co-worker to book the tickets & it literally took all day. --NOTE: If you speak English, just call them directly. It can be done over the phone in English in minutes.

We went on a weeknight and did room 2. Our group of 5 was paired with another English speaking group of 4. (The rooms are for 8 people) I won't give anything away, because I went into it knowing nothing & I believe it's most fun that way, but it was an absolute blast! It was so fun that we came back the next night and went to room 6. When we didn't solve the puzzle due to a faulty clue, Brendan allowed us to come back later in the evening for a 2nd shot at it...for free! Brendan (or is it Brandon?) is American and was very, very helpful in all of our 3 visits to Mr X.

My only complaint is that there are only 5 rooms and it only lasts an hour. (Totally understandable given the complexity of the rooms!) If you're in Shanghai & want to do something different, this is a must. Do it early in your trip, though, in case you get addicted to the adrenaline rush and need to go back.

2  Thank BrandyMills0306