“Keeps bringing me back”

Neighborhood: The Bund
Orlando, Florida
“Keeps bringing me back”
Reviewed May 19, 2014

I've been here several times with friends or for work. And this is one of the only restaraunts in the area that I look forward going back to. (living in Jing'an district of Shanghai, I more often take my repeat business to places in walking distance, but this one is worth going out of my way). And, I much prefer this end of the Bund - Rockbund area.

A good advantage of Capo is that the menu is more flexible than other Bund spots. You can have a casual night with friends with more of a tapas, light bite style. Or you can get the full course with starting cocktails. In other words, no requirement for ordering the pricey 3 or 4 course menu as with some other places. And not so much price shock on the wine and cocktails. Just writing this makes me want to go back again this week ....

• Visited January 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Toronto
“Excellent food and service in a comfortable atmosphere”
Reviewed May 15, 2014

Had been to another Shanghai Italian restaurant nearby earlier in the week that felt very pretentious. Capo offered quality ingredients that were enhanced by the preparation. We had pasta to share for the table as an appetizer, along with the warm bread. Then we each had a different kind of fish, with baby carrots, roast potatoes and broccoli, all of which were wonderful. We were given complimentary glasses of prosecco. Servers were very helpful in adapting a dish to meet our dietary restrictions. Our neighbours shared an immense slab of meat that looked delicious. No room for dessert. Reasonably priced compared to the other restaurant too. Would definitely recommend Capo. We had no difficulty finding it thanks to other reviewers directions to walk past the parking attendant, go I. The door on the left, and go up in the elevator.

• Visited May 2014
Canton of Basel, Switzerland
“Great food in superb loft-style atmosphere”
Reviewed April 27, 2014

This is a great place in for both business dinners and for a date. The atmosphere and style is what you could find in a loft type of place in NYC or London. Exposed brick, clean lines and high-end details. The bar is relatively small but some great, innovative drinks on the menu. The food menu is rather large and focuses on pasta and steaks but there are also some fish. I had the black cod for main which was superb! The only drawback is that somehow the restaurant is connected with a night-club so when you need the restroom you have to share that with the nightclub crowd. In any case, I am coming back for drinks, for dinner ... whatever, but I'm definitely heading back to Capo!

• Visited April 2014
2 Thank 1234CN
Shanghai, China
“Outstanding Italian food and service”
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Having tried a string of disappointing Italian restaurants in Shanghai, we decided to splash out on something more upscale and so headed Bund-side to visit Capo, a place recommended by an Italian friend. Located in the impressive Rockbund development it becomes apparent from the moment that you walk in you are about to have a memorable dining experience. From the low-key mood lighting to the tasteful Italian décor it is obvious thought has been put into the environment as well as the food. Capo is not a small restaurant but the way it is set out in a long narrow room gives it a cosy intimacy and other people’s conversations are never intrusive.

As we were deciding what to eat from the rather large menu, we were brought crisp warm fresh bread with oil and balsamic. But I was delighted to see what accompanied it – rock salt and a WHOLE roasted garlic!!!!! Now I am a huge fan of garlic and probably keep garlic farmers in business with the amount I consume, so for me this was sublime garlicky goodness. I must have asked for 3 more during the course of the meal and the staff were only too happy to oblige.

After consuming my body weight in garlic we decided to order a couple of Capo’s specials. Firstly, the burrata – which turned out to be a soft buttery concoction of mozzarella and cream which still has me dreaming about it. Then their signature dish, the Fiorentina steak.

Now I had never heard of this cut of beef before and when we asked, we were told it wasn’t available elsewhere in Shanghai because the owner has a share in the Australian Wagyu beef farm that this cut is from. We were also told about the cow’s long and impressive blood line and all I can say is you could tell this was an animal of breeding in every tender, creamy, fat-marbled bite that melted in your mouth.

We went for a couple of pasta dishes to round out our meal. Now having traveled pretty much all over Italy I’ve eaten a lot of pasta, and these hit the spot. The pasta was perfectly cooked and the sauces had the fresh taste of a small Italian kitchen.

The service was also impeccable – the waiting staff were attentive but unobtrusive and seemed to give me what I wanted before I even knew I wanted it!!

All in all, Capo is not one of the cheaper Italian restaurants in town but you’re paying for the quality of food and carefully sourced ingredients. If you don’t mind paying a little extra for a superior experience then I would say Capo is for you.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank jayneolschak
Shanghai, China
“Expansion of the Italian Palate”
Reviewed March 13, 2014

Shanghai has a lot of great restaurants from all around the world-- Capo Restaurant was one of the best dining experiences I have had in this city to date! As a regular diner my Italian palate is...shallow. When a couple of friends invited me to this restaurant all I wanted was maybe some spaghetti, garlic bread and a decent setting. This restaurant over-delivered and did it well. The restaurant is a little hard to find however walking in you know its the right place. Intimate but comfortable dining decor and lighting perfect for a date or a chill night with friends. The menu provides a nice set-up from the antipasti dishes to the mains and if you have any room for dessert (which we did not and looking at the other dessert tables it was our lost) you can achieve a full dining experience. We started with a great tuna tartar and fresh baked bread with roasted garlic bulbs with oil, vinegar and rock salt. Delicious. We didn't fill up on the bread as we shared two great pasta dishes (not spaghetti), Buratta salad with fresh arugula and duck proscuitto. Our main dish, the first and signature dish of mains, was a bit expensive but well shared between my friends and I with plenty of delicious sides like roasted potatoes and seasoned and grilled vegetables. Everything tasted so good and we had a good time to boot. The staff is very friendly and attentive but not too intrusive. I plan to go back and make my way through the entire menu as I am sure everything will be just as delicious. Happy Dining!

• Visited March 2014