“The best meat ever!”

Ranked #9 of 17,207 Restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: Delicatessen, Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: People’s Square
Description: Tock's in an award-winning Montreal-style deli serving smoked meat sandwiches and all the fixings (including authentic poutine!). These specialties are all prepared in-house from the finest ingredients. A nice selection of beers and wines also. For lunch, brunch or dinner, a great choice for smoked meat comfort food! (Nice salads and vegetarian options too.)
Reviewed January 10, 2014 via mobile

We were planning to eat at another restaurant but they were closing up. We walked for a bit, saw Tocks sign, didnt look like the place we were looking for but oh my god! The owner, such an amazing guy, gave us a few try outs from his own smoked meat, and it was, literally, the best meat in the world! If you want the best food in Shanghai, go there! The owner also gave us some advice for our night out, and it became our best night in Shanghai! Thank you so much!

Reviewed January 8, 2014

I am from Montreal and linving in Shanghai for coupel years. It feel goog to have a tast of home in China. I went there couple times and I am still planing to go back next week with local chinese clients. That's really unique cuisine in Shanghai, quality beef, good Poutine, nice Montreal atmosphere! The plates are huge. The owner, Brian, is alwayse friendly to chat with. The location is also quite good!

Reviewed January 6, 2014

Went to this place because it came highly recommended by another Canadian friend. I ordered the Poutine and smoked meat on rye bread (of course). The poutine was alright, they actually made a good run at the cheese curds, better than just plain chedder cheese that some other places would put on top. The real treat was the smoked meat though, which tasted amazing and reminded me of home. Make sure you add mustard to the sandwich though otherwise it'll be too dry. And don't be afraid to order the 'monster size', this stuff is just too good, and I can't get enough of it!
- TheAsiaExpat.com

Reviewed January 6, 2014

I had their Ruben and the meat is very good...no disputing that...with choices of lean, medium or fatty...there is a lot of flavor in the meat...the rest of the sandwich was ok....bread was ok....the fries were a little soggy, but tasted very good...one "beef" I have is the "Monster" Ruben isn't exactly a monster...I've had Rubens (in New England, not China) that were bigger than 2 of these "monsters" stacked on top of each other....but that's probably being a little picky....

the service was very friendly, and i'll definitely go back...the food is good and the restaurant is comfortable...but it is also very easy to overstate how good it really is...

Reviewed December 28, 2013

We were walking back to our hotel after getting off at the wrong metro stop and stopped by Tock's by chance as we were ready for a late lunch. What a find! We've been living in Asia for over three years - in Hong Kong - and no good deli sandwiches to be found. But Tock's would fare well in Montreal, NYC or LA - where the competition is real!

I had the smoked meat Reuben, one daughter had a smoked meet sandwich and wife and other daughter the turkey pastrami. ALL EXCELLENT! Bread is key to a great sandwich and Brian knows his stuff. Rye was thin, yet substantial. For some reason Asians think delis need thick bread which just doesn't work.

Brian the owner spent a while with us and is a very friendly host. He also suggested several other restaurants which we are excited to try. If you like delis the check out Tock's!