“Very tasty smoked meat and beer”

Tock's - A Montreal Deli
Ranked #9 of 17,016 Restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: Delicatessen, Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: People’s Square
Description: Tock's in an award-winning Montreal-style deli serving smoked meat sandwiches and all the fixings (including authentic poutine!). These specialties are all prepared in-house from the finest ingredients. A nice selection of beers and wines also. For lunch, brunch or dinner, a great choice for smoked meat comfort food! (Nice salads and vegetarian options too.)
Los Altos, California
“Very tasty smoked meat and beer”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

On our last day in Shanghai we were craving something tasty and on a whim we came upon Tock's thanks to TripAdvisor reports. We were on The Bund and none of the hotel restaurants were catching our fancy. Tock's was a couple blocks away and boy are we happy we found it! We sat and were helped by a couple very helpful waitresses. When we waffled on what type of smoked meat to get they quickly arrived with samples of each to let us try the different ones. We ordered a few beers and a meat platter and were really happy with our choices. The french fries were a little soggy but still we ate them all up.

While we were eating we were visited by Brian who owns the place. He's a very charismatic guy that chatted with us a bit (we talked about Montreal a bit since we had visited there). We enjoyed the stop here for lunch and would definitely return and recommend it to folks, especially if you're longing for a good Western hearty meal.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Beijing, China
“Delightful Montreal Smoked Meat”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Found this place while walking down Henan Lu. At first I couldn't believe that there was a place serving Montreal Smoked Meat in Shanghai. The sandwiches are huge and tasty. The pickles are fresh.

This is the best sandwich place in town.

The location is somewhere between Yanan, Bund and Nanjing Road, with lot's of traffic. Once you know where the place is it's easy to get to.

• Visited October 2013
Victoria, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Such a great little place!”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

A friend recommended this restaurant to me. I walked and looked for a long time then found it - So glad I did. Excellent service, excellent food, really pleasant atmosphere. The experience is casual and friendly. I had never had Montreal Smoked Beef and it was terrific. The menu indicates that all meat is smoked on premises... the quality sure was there. This restaurant is a must try in Shanghai... seems crazy that a Canadian would have to go to Shanghai to get a Montreal sandwich... what a lovely home away from home!! While not the best, Canadian beer served too. Excellent Apple Pie... can't say enough - I found it a nice rest from the bustle of the city and from the albeit, much loved, foreign food. Next stop - Montreal.

Shanghai, China
“Delicious Meat, good service, and great ice tea”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I had the Reuben and my wife had the club. The Reuben was outstanding mainly because of the flavor and quality of meat. The club was so-so when compared to the Reuben, but still a decent sandwich. The wait staff was attentive and the owner Brian was nice to talk with as well.

I'd definitely recommend this place. Looking forward to trying the matso ball soup and the poutine.

Raleigh, North Carolina
“OK. Staff aloof, prices high, weird location”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Ok. You can certainly enjoy your meal here, but come ready to pay, and don't expect much care taking form the staff.

I lived in Montreal when I was younger, and frequently visit Quebec (2-3x yearly). The Montreal smoked meat sandwich is of legends. How does Tock's do?

Well, actually I'm quite pleased. They're curing and smoking the meat themselves, and it's quite good. You can have it served to you in different kinds of sandwiches, in pasta sauce, or even try turkey or duck renditions. Sauerkraut is quite good, as are dressings used in the sammies.

Now, the poutine here is simply pathetic. Fries are wimpy, gravy low in flavor, and hardly any cheese curds. I understand the hassle in dealing with the curds, and Tock's isn't taking the lazy route done by most in Shanghai where mozzarella is used. It's not simply about having soaking cheese oozing junk food, but about getting the flavor right. Here you get neither of those. Weak and a big part of why I'm giving an Average.

Finally, if you do decide to go to Tock's be sure to assert yourself with the staff as they're generaly pathetic. When I pay 15 dollars for a sandwich, I'd like to be shown a little respect and welcome. Not here. Nobody will check on you, so if you want another one of those 5 dollar cans of root beer, you'll have to flag them down.

Tock's location is clearly going for the business lunch crowd, and they seem to be doing well. Let's see some more attention to these other details though - I've seen and heard a little too much praise for these guys, but even as a former Montrealer it's not worth a dedicated ride across town for. Maybe if I'm at the corner of pain in the butt st and annoying rd, I'll stop in again to have my wallet emptied for a fair take at the original.

• Visited October 2013