“Great meal; some service issues”

Red Square Russian Restaurant and Bar
Ranked #639 of 17,044 Restaurants in Shanghai
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Hongkou
Description: Homy Russian food in the heart of Shanghai.
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Brought my wife as she previously lived in Russia and loves Russian food.

We both really enjoyed the food. Both her chicken kiev and my beef stroganoff were excellent. Also surprisingly good was the herring appetizer! I would go back for any of these dishes.

Desserts were ok, but nothing special.

Service could be improved. The waitress couldn't tell us what aspic was, so we ordered that appetizer and were disappointed by the jello like food that arrived - forgivable though as she clearly didn't speak English and we were of course in China. That said, we were the only customers in the restaurant, so she should have gone to get an English speaking staff person to help. As well, when another waitress brought us new utensils, she did not grab them from the tray by the handles, but instead by the eating side of the fork/knife/spoon. Totally unhygenic, and basic service 101 faux pas.

Free vodka shots were awesome though!

We would go back for the food, but please iron out the service.

Anastasia N, Владелец at Red Square Russian Restaurant and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2014

Dear Sir,

We appreciate the comment: pleased with the praise but value the criticism at most.

To response absolutely fair observation on lack of understanding of some dishes of Russian cuisine, we developed electronic menu with a photo and description of every dish. System is under set up these days and will be on run starting June 1st, 2014.

Comment on service quality and hygiene is noted with thanks and taken under control.
We are working to be better every day.

Warm regards,
Anastasia Nasibullina
Owner and GM

There are newer reviews for Red Square Russian Restaurant and Bar

Reviewed March 3, 2014

Having read reviews on diningcity and tripadvisor, the food sounded interesting. The restaurant is on the third level of the 1933 building in Hongkou district, and has an interesting layout and archictecture, having been used as an abbatoir in the early days.

We started with potato salad. Though well presented in a Martini-type glass, it was rather ordinary in taste. The borsch soup was quite delicious, boasting beef slivers with beetroot and cabbage, rather than just red and white cabbage as youc an find at other restaurants. We only wished that the sour cream was, well, more sour, as that would have further enhanced the taste of the soup. The garlic bread that came with the soup was hard and cold, but we found it useful to dunk in the main course of beef and potato in a hot stew pot. This was good too, and very filling.

Dessert was crepes with sour cream, but this was disappointing. The crepe tasted a little odd, and the sour cream was not sour.

All in all, a interesting meal. You should try it for something different in taste, as well as to visit the 1933 building.

Service was okay, though a little slow when more patrons began coming in.

1  Thank Orator11
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Had lunch here. Most things shared by me and my friend were pretty good. Beetroot salad, borsch, dumpling etc. The beet root salad was a bit too much beets (needs more balance), maybe we should have taken another one as well.
All in all, reasonably priced, decent food, service a bit Russian (not super friendly but still reasonable), likely to go later, especially when warmer and going for dinner+some more drinks.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Given my husband's longtime affair with Russia, I've made it sort of my personal mission to find Russian food places wherever we go. I found about this place on a Shanghai city guide and decided we would take a night from October break to go check it out. To get there by train I believe you can take either line 4 or line 10 (with roughly 10 minute walks from the nearest stations). Red Square is located in a super cool, artsy building, literally organized in rings on the inside. There are other eateries in the building that look quite interesting so we'll be back for more. Haha.
The hallway to Red Square is decorated with light that make a Russian flag. On the inside, I'd say it's decorated in ornate Russian style. Very pretty. I do not recommend showing up without a reservation; place was busy. But we arrived early (at 6:30 or so) and were shown a table for two in no time.
The menu, thank goodness, is more extensive than what you see on their website, and has all the Russian goodies I've come to love. It also has some Ukranian dishes. The wait staff is primarily Russian (or Ukranian?). They all speak English (and Russian, of course - I always check so I can make my husband practice) - I've found across the board that Russian wait staff really appreciates when you try to speak a little Russian with them.
Anyways, on to the food. I didn't really order borscht, but my husband did, and I guess someone misunderstood and brought two dishes with a side of garlic bread. Both fresh. The soup was perfectly prepared and they brought the sour cream on the side. That was nice, because not everyone is crazy about sour cream (like me). I ordered this dish of meat and potatoes that came in a clay pot. That arrived before anything else. So I ate my soup after I had my entree. It was kind of funny.
My husband ordered beef stroganoff. Time went by. Forty-five minutes later, I told him we should ask what was going on. In the end, from the time we ordered to the time he got his entree, it had been an hour. They did offer to prepare something else for him for free, but as he was getting ready to order something else, word came from the kitchen that it would be ready in 5. It was. They still offered us some free beers for our troubles.
We had ordered some Ukranian beer per the waitress' suggestion earlier and it was great. Also, it was the first truly cold beer we had had in China in almost 3 months here.
I had read some reviews in other places complaining about the Russian techno. We happen to like it so it's not a problem for us. I wasn't so crazy about the dude singing karaoke in Russian.
Prices are pretty reasonable. There are some pricey items but hey, you don't have to order them if you don't want to. Food is good, which is the important part. I think we'll be back for my husband's birthday so he can judge the caviar.
It was nice to find a place with good Russian food here. It's comforting and delicious. We definitely recommend this place.

Reviewed October 2, 2013

This restaurant in Shanghai is something special! When you live for a long time in Shanghai and you miss russian food or if you want to treat yourself with yummi deserts or good wine - it is the best place for you! Red Square serves REAL russian dishes, outstanding deserts and has such a wide range of wines - you will be surprised! Yesterday there was a kind of Raffle Prizes and I won a Romantic Dinner in Red Square! One friend of mine won 20% discount and the other won a Club Card with 17% discount!!! The show was amazing! I love this place!

2  Thank Katerina V