“Shangri La Quality, Value for money???”

Jing An Shangri-La, West Shanghai
Ranked #18 of 5,160 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed March 24, 2014

I love Shangri La hotels, so in 2012 when I saw the new Jing an Shangri La being built from my seat in the bar at the Shanghai Ritz Carlton I was eager to stay there as soon after it opened. Perhaps that was a little naive of me considering it was a new operation. My first opportunity was October 2013. Check-in was slow which could be put down to training new staff, I also found the reception area very boring. We stayed in Horizon Club Suites and they were fantastic, very clean, very new, all mod cons and amazing views.
Breakfast was really good, not up to the KL standard but the staff were excellent and service was great.
I used the fitness centre most days, it was always well maintained and had a great view over one of the elevated roads which always gave you something interesting to look at.
We were disappointed in the 1515 West Bar, it doesn't really have any character and is too dark too early in the day. We experienced a couple of good staff, and a couple that seemed more interested in looking at their phones when the boss was out of the room. We did however have a good chat and some fantastic Bourbon tastings with Dario the Bar Manager who really knows his stuff.
The price of beer was at the top that I had ever paid anywhere, this needs to be reviewed. Also while the Chophouse restaurant was nice I could have bought 2 cows for the price I paid for my steak.
The quality, style & overall service level of this quality branded hotel was very good, I think they need to review all of their pricing once the excitement of 'New' is over.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed March 21, 2014

I have been on shanghai la tour for last 6 days. Cosmetically this is beautiful property, but not up to standards I usually experience at shangri la. Will check out tomorrow and move on to another property. Looking forward to it. Room 3612. Corridor smells of ozone, perhaps cleaning up smoking smell. Room smells of damp canvas, a result of afternoon sun on drapes. Beautiful exec lounge. Great service and views on 55th floor. Stay away from ground floor breakfast

Room Tip: Pudong view. High floor
1  Thank Nick D
Reviewed March 19, 2014

We recently spent two nights in this hotel as part of a Viking River Cruises tour of China.
It was the first time VRC had used this newish hotel (it only opened last summer) but we hope it isn't the last, we were very impressed.
The reception we received from the myriad of lobby staff was warm and genuine, nothing seemed too much trouble.
Our room (on the 40th floor) was superb with every possible amenity and spectacular views from the almost full-length windows...careful if you suffer from vertigo!
The facilities are too numerous to detail, but we had a wander around and particularly liked the 56th (top) floor executive lounge and the 360 degree views of the city at night; the bar on the 4th floor and the ground floor 'bistro' style of coffee shop/cafe where we had an excellent mixed meat dinner on the first evening and a western/Chinese buffet breakfast.
I understand this chain is based in South East Asia, although on return from our holiday I read they are about to open a hotel in London - good luck to them, they deserve to do well.

Room Tip: The higher the floor the better the views!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 13, 2014

The Shangri-la Jing An has just been opened less than a year. It’s still brand new. I choose this hotel because of it’s proximity to my office in Shanghai and the rates is reasonable for a 5 star hotel. I stayed for 4 days.

Arrival

Arrival was hassle free. Upon landing, I was picked up by the hotel car. On arrival, the very pleasant Guest Relationship manager Ms Clarie checked me in.

The Room

I booked a Horizon Grand Premier room which measures a spacious 62sqm. The room is actually a junior suite with a door partition that separates the bedroom from the living room. The room comes with a King Size Bed, ensuite bathroom, entrance foyer, walk-in closet and a very spacious writing desk. Room comes equipped with the latest bell and whistle and modern technology that new hotels can offer, such as electronic curtains, free wifi, Nepresso coffee machine and the latest LED 3D Televisions equipped with bluray players. There are actually two TVs, one in the main living area and one in the bedroom.

The bathroom is an en-suite with twin basins, rainforest showers and a soaking tub. It also comes with other modern high-tech conveniences such as an in-mirror LCD TV, a heating tower rack and heated floors, a great feature to have especially during winter. The hotel generously provides Bulgari green tea toiletries. Water pressure can be a bit better though.

I really love the layout of this hotel room. It’s one of the best I have encountered in my travels. The partitioning between the living quarters and bedroom is clearly defined. The bathroom is located right next to the bedroom, and right after the bathroom is the walk-in closet. The working desk is spacious with all the plug-in high tech connections. The room comes with floor to ceiling windows and as my room is at the 40th floor, it features a magnificent view of west Shanghai skyline and distant view of the Pearl Tower that is particularly appealing at night.

The room is whisper quiet with good sound proofing and the bed offers a comfortable sleep. There is also a CD player with some really sleep-inducing music, great for insomniacs. So relaxing is this room that it becomes my sanctuary, which I looked forward to return to after a busy work day. The only thing missing in this hotel room is an iPod docking station.

I also took the opportunity during my stay to check out the Executive and Deluxe suites and find them to be just larger without better finishing or equipment. So unless you need the space, I will suggest the best room category at the moment is the Horizon Premier rooms from a price/value proposition.

Common Areas, location and Restaurants

The hotel’s lobby is slightly understated and does not feature the sprawling grand lobbies typical of the other Shangri-las in China. This one is a bit more subdue and modern. There is a lobby lounge, a steakhouse, a chinese restaurant ( Summer Palace ) and Café Niang, the all day dinning café.

The hotel is connected to the Kerry Centre which has an office building and a shopping mall. The metro station ( JiangAn Temple station ) is conveniently located underground which provide convenient access to Pudong and other areas of Shanghai. The location cannot be faulted as there is an abundance of dinning and shopping options including the famous Nanjing Road just a few subway stations away.

As I booked the horizon club room, I have access to the Horizon club lounge which has three food servings a day. The lounge takes up the entire 55th floor of the hotel with multiple venues of sitting areas and lounging sofas and a bewildering selection of meeting avenues. Breakfast spread in the lounge is excellent, rivaling a full fledge restaurant and one can even order cooked to order items ala carte from a separate menu. The breakfast food quality was good, but not excellent. For some reason, they can’t get my omelet right, even when I told them “runny”, it will come out over-cooked. Evening cocktail is a bit disappointing with limited selection. I did not have time to try their afternoon tea.

I also tried both the Cafe for buffet dinner and was quite disappointed. Not only was the service bad ( more later ), the food quality is mediocre despite made to order. The Chinese restaurant summer palace is much better with attentive service and reasonable good food quality. Be sure to try out the braised baby beef ribs in clay-pot which is very tasty!

To be honest the service of this hotel is kind of hit and miss. Exemplary is the guest relationship Manager Ms Clarie of the Horizon Club which is highly professional and caring to the guests and take good care of me during my stay. Then on the other end of the spectrum, you have those waiters in Café Liang that can hardly be bothered to attend to guest. I had a bad experience in the café where the waiters would take note of your request, said yes to you and then wonder off and do nothing unless you remind them. Simple request like asking for butter, cutlery needed repeat reminders.

In particular, I was very unhappy that a lot of the dishes of the buffet, you have to order it off an ala carte menu which were prepared separately. The concept sound great as food prepared this way is fresher but the kitchen on that day was clearly overwhelmed and every order took 30 mins or more. This reminds me of a disastrous dinning experience I had at the Park Hyatt which follows the same concept. I should have known better than to try out. To make matter worse, the food quality was bad and when I complained to one of the captains on duty that the grilled fish dish in particular, the texture is really hard and inedible, he just shrug his head, collect the plate and walk off instead of offering to order for me a replacement.

On the other hand, service at the Summer Palace was great with very attentive staff. I had a dinner there one evening and the staff ensured I was well looked after and enjoyed my meal.

Service at the Horizon Club lounge ranges from OK to great, and all the staff are polite, attentive and helpful and greet me by name. On check-out, I was slightly disappointed that the bell boy did not have the initiative to place my luggage in the car and instead, when I went down to the car, I have to wait for him to go fetch and find my bag. Interestingly, this same bell boy was also the one that collected my luggage and I already told him I have booked the hotel car upon collecting my bag. Surely it is not too much to expect a bit of initiative? Upon arrival at the airport, the driver did not bid me farewell after unloading my bags to the trolley and he kind of just stand there expecting tips, and when none is coming, walked back to the car looking disappointed. Well, if he has been a bid more friendlily and at least help me with getting the trolley and bid me farewell, I might have tipped him. The limo ride is not worth the inflated price of RMB1,200 per trip in retrospect.

Conclusion

Overall, this is a good mid/upper tier 5 star hotel. Room quality is fabulous for the price range with the latest bell and whistles. Location is convenient and the Horizon Club lounge adds much to the staying experience. However, overall service still lack consistency and has much room to improve, especially if Shangri-la as a chain aspires to compete with the top tier luxury hotel chains like Mandarin Oriental, Peninsula and the Four Seasons.

I am pleased to rate the hotel 4 out of 5 and despite some hiccups and faults, will consider to return again. For business trip, this hotel serves it’s purpose as long as you do not have too high expectation on service.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank BENLEE123
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Visit to Shanghai again for a business trip and stay in Jingan Shangri-la for a night. The hotel lobby is not that grand as compare to other hotel I have visited in Shanghai, but their standard room are quite decent. The size of the room is big and their bathroom is really nice with heated marble floor. My room got a view looking to the Jingan temple which is quite nice. There are lots of shopping mall around and some fancy bar & restaurants nearby. It is near to the subway station which you might consider to use it during rush hour as it is very hard to get a taxi at peak hour in Shanghai. I personally love their café very much, the deco is very nice and their breakfast is really good, it is definitely a good place to go before starting you day.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Bsham
Reviewed March 4, 2014

The views are amazing. The bathrooms are quite nice and have floor heating. The rooms are a bit small though. And the blue LED clock in the bathroom casts too bright a light across the bed - you have to shut the bathroom door in order to achieve darkness.

Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
Reviewed February 28, 2014

Must try the new restaurant Calypso, Mediterranean cuisine, great wine bar too!
Request a room with a view, the luxury rooms are equipped with Bvlgari Green Tea Bath products, Nespresso coffee machine, instant hot water for varieties of Chinese teas. A MUST visit !!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo