“Terrific meal and great atmosphere”
Review of The Commune Social

The Commune Social
Ranked #38 of 16,925 Restaurants in Shanghai
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Jing'an
“Terrific meal and great atmosphere”
Reviewed July 12, 2014

Hey if you want to have a dinner off the beaten tracks this is the place. Nevertheless the food is awesome.

Visited July 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Shanghai
“Outstanding!!”
Reviewed July 12, 2014

I have been hesitating to go there due to no reservation policy.. but its totally worth the wait.
We shared 5 tapas, which were all delicious. Mini Spanish pork burgers are awesome.

Wide range of deserts prepared at their marble desert bar. Lots of liquid nitrogen used, my daughter was impressed!! I ordered the odd sounding " smoked chocolate with beetroot ice cream " .. it was really good ! highly recommended..

• Visited July 2014
Shanghai, China
“great interior, great food”
Reviewed July 10, 2014

Small but stylish place, perfect for a quick lunch break. The tapas were delicious and the ingredients fresh. The opening ours are a little confusing, as it is not open on Sundays. I see here a little conflict with the name, but anyway a place I will return on weekdays.

• Visited July 2014
“So darn good!”
Reviewed July 8, 2014

When I choose restaurants, I usually go for interior in a combination for the food. The interior of this restaurant is great. Especially the patio. Cozy, yet industrial. And the food was awesome too, so win-win! Have the tuna tartar, it is served really nicely. And LOVE that you get the bill with a bag of their own spices mix to make calamares. Thumbs up!

• Visited August 2013
Shanghai, China
“pricey but good”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

A friend of mine is leaving China in July and we had a going away brunch for her. She said she wanted to try this place called "The Commune Social" for some time and none of us have ever been here before or ever heard of it so we all agreed to give it a try. There were four of us and when I arrived I was promptly escorted to find my group and the dinning area where my friends were sitting was outside in a courtyard area, very pleasant and relaxing. We placed our order and the waitress was quick to inform us of the size of the meals we had ordered were probably not enough to feed the four of us so we ordered more :-), she was correct, thank you. The drinks arrived shortly after we ordered and then the food started to arrive. The size of the meals were rather small but I have to say "what a big surprise"! The chefs there did a great job and all of the spices used worked very well together for the dishes we ordered, your taste buds will thank you. Neither of us had any complaints about the quality but if you are a big eater prepare to spend a little more money than usual. This would be a nice place to bring a date or just to meet some of your friends for brunch. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the service was spot on. Like my title indicates, a little pricey but the quality makes up for the little extra you pay. By the way, they were awarded Best New Restaurant and Best Mediterranean this year, congrats.

• Visited June 2014