“Lives up to Hype”

Ranked #46 of 17,110 Restaurants in Shanghai
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Jing'an
Reviewed May 27, 2014

A restaurant that lives up to its hype - that's Commune Social. We had Sunday late lunch and it was truly excellent. A great value is the tasting menu where one can select 3, 4 or 5 tapas from the daily specials. One can easily get a set of 5, add a few more from the menu and you have a great lunch for 2 people. The taste of the food is wonderful, clearly made from top-notch ingredients, but the one thing that really stands out about the food is the presentation. Just wonderfully thought out - many dishes were like pieces of arts - almost too good to eat! And desserts are excellent as well. The atmosphere is not romantic - more like New York City bohemian Soho - with lots of nooks and crannies in the restaurant - a bit on the noisy side, but this makes it a really fun place to have an excellent meal. While somewhat expensive for Shanghai, but considering the quality and presentation of the food - incredible value for the money. Definitely one of my favorite spots in Shanghai.

Reviewed May 25, 2014

My first time in this place and I really love it! The day was sunny and we sit outside, we shared 3 tapas and all were good! Before came here my friend recommended me to order their sangria, she said is the best one in town, but unfortunately I forgot to order. Next time will go back and try it!

Reviewed May 10, 2014

Great food, great atmosphere, just great. If you love food then you simply must go here. I visited twice last week and sat in the back room, around the kitchen, it's great fun to see Scott Melvin at work.

Reviewed April 25, 2014

We run when we visit cities. We happened to find this place on one of our runs through Shanghai- I suppose due to its "curb-appeal".
We liked the energy of these spaces all mixed together (front bar, center courtyard, back kitchen area). We ate the back kitchen area and enjoyed watching the Chef put the dishes together. The dishes were tasty and ambiance very nice. This is a big anglo-hangout, at least the time we were there.

Reviewed April 21, 2014

A truly fantastic meal. We visited as a group of four for dinner, started with cocktails in the dessert bar and moved to dinner sitting at the restaurant bar.
The service and food is without fault. We shared around 8 tapas for our group, the foie gras sliders were mouthwatering, you will need one per person (two serves per tapa) as you will not want to share!
The space is perfect for small groups, I doubt you could comfortably enjoy the company of friends with groups bigger than 5. The tab was a little pricey but we did indulge in cocktails and sangria throughout the evening.
There is a upstairs bar with outdoor seating, perfect for when the weather clears.
I highly recommend SC, the food is divine.
No reservations accepted however our group was seated within 30 minutes after arriving after 8pm.