Urban Thai
Ranked #244 of 17,142 Restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Former French Concession
Description: You want to escape Shanghai without having to fly away for an authentic experience.Many award winning Urban Thai welcomes you to enjoy a unique taste of Thailand.Mummy, Our beloved Thai Chef (we call her that way because she is kind of our mum to all) will take care of you. Preparing traditional curries, pad thai, fish cakes… Also, Come and enjoy our famous drinks.As TimeOut said“Urban Thai makes the best Thai iced tea in Shanghai”.Step by to have a beautiful Thai experience in our little and cozy restaurant.
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Being a former resident of Thailand and also being half Thai myself, I always have a craving for Thai food. Finding a place in Shanghai that is Close to Authentic is hard because most Thai restaurants in China have a Chinese component to it. I have to visit Urban Thai every week because it always satisfies my cravings. The people who compare or complain about it not being as Authentic as Thailand seem to be forgetting something... We aren't IN THAILAND! No cuisine is going to taste exactly like the actual place. But Urban Thai definitely is the best and it hits the closest to home. The old Thai lady chef told me "Stir fried basil taste amazing with Thai basil. We tried bringing basil from Thailand but they spoil." Even with the basils they buy in Shanghai, their stir fried basil is awesome! (Order an egg on top to make it street style) the Thai iced tea is to die for. Its exactly like the street carts in BKK. The red duck curry is also a must try. I recommend UT to all Thai food lovers who just want a taste of Thailand in Shanghai.

Reviewed March 4, 2014

I will never call myself a Thai food expert but I know good food when I taste them. We had a big group, over 10 people so we pretty much ordered the entire menu, Everything was delicious and we fought over the last morsels and chased it down with bottle after bottles of house white. With 10 of us, we pretty much took over the entire restaurant and it felt private and homey. Service was impeccable and I love the location. A definite win in the Shanghai urban landscape.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

It was my first thai food experience and i loved it!! We enjoyed several dishes and everything was excellent. Good point for the waitress always smiling!!

Reviewed February 17, 2014

I had been promising myself I would visit this place for a while so when I was invited there with a friend for lunch I naturally took the opportunity and said yes. Urban Thai is pretty much exactly what I expected. It's a small, friendly, cosy, non pretentious place that serves good tasting, good value food. I can't comment on the authenticity of the dishes as I don't know Thai food we'll enough but I can say I very much enjoyed what I ate and will go back. If it's any indication of the popularity of the place, since having lunch there I have tried to re visit but the evening I tried to book it was full!

As a place to go and eat alone or with friends I would happily recommend you check it out.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

I went to this place several times, and it was the first times I ate Thaï food.... It is amazing, really ! Becareful to the green curry: the taste is awesome but it is very spicy. All the menu is good.
The place is tiny but nice. I really liked the blue decoration inside.

I place I would recommend I you want to have a great and quiet dinner in Shanghai !