“Exceptional in every way”

Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai
Ranked #1 of 5,105 Hotels in Shanghai
Hong Kong, China
“Exceptional in every way”
Reviewed June 26, 2014

We stayed at the Mandarin Oriental a few weeks ago to belatedly celebrate my husbands birthday, and what a treat it was! Everything, from the moment we checked in, till we checked out, was absolutely first class. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff and in many cases went way beyond the call of duty. We stayed in a river view club room which I'd highly recommend, although I am sure all rooms in this hotel are of a very high standard. The location is handy for the Metro.....about 10mins walk. If you don't feel up to the walk, the hotel courtesy car will drop you at the station. The Metro is easy to use and a great way to get around and meet local people. It's also incredibly cheap.

Room Tip: River view club room was wonderful but as stated in my review, I'm sure all rooms are of a very...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
MO_Pudong, Hotel Manager at Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Dear 9milton,

Thank you for your kind review of Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai. We are delighted to hear that you have had such a wonderful time with us, and that you appreciate the hospitality offered by our professional team. I have shared your comments with our colleagues and they are very motivated by your positive feedback. Hope we can welcome you and your family back before long.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed June 26, 2014

I have stayed at several hotels in Shanghai on business over the past several years. The Mandarin is by far at the top of the list. Excellent service, friendly staff that anticipates your needs and gorgeous accommodations. I will certainly be back.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank J. Bruce R
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 25, 2014

I spent 5 days/4 nights on a recent business trip to Shanghai. This hotel is truly 5-star ... the rooms are great (large with comfortable beds), the service is first class, the hotel staff spoke excellent English, and the location is very convenient.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2014

My first stay in a Mandarin Oriental, but I hope it won't be the last. It has now set the standard to which all other hotels will be judged by! The service was just exceptional- before you had a chance to think of the question it was quietly and unobtrusively provided for you, it was uncanny!the decor and facilities are just beautiful. We had the swimming pool (huge) to ourselves most of the time- benefits of using a hotel in the business district, I suppose. The rooms were gorgeous, with every amenity you need. Ask for a river view.
The club lounge served the most delicious afternoon teas.
Nothing was too much trouble. I can't recommend this hotel highly enough. We have gone from Shanghai to Beijing and are now staying in a Fairmont hotel which, whilst good, can not even compare to the standard of the Mandarin Oriental so we are missing it all the more!
Worth saving up to go to.

Room Tip: Go for Club membership. Worth the extra as it then gives you complimentary breakfast, lunch, afterno...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank L0uCardiff
singapore
Reviewed June 20, 2014

It is a truly luxurious hotel. The room was very spacious, well laid out and had a great view of the Shanghai Pearl Tower. Bed was very comfortable and huge. Breakfast and Lunch was stocked with a great variety of choices, very good quality food. There was Chinese, Indian, Japanese and Continental. While the hotel is not in PuXi where you would find more buzz, it is only a 15 minute (absent traffic jams) taxi ride away. The hotel provides free van shuttle to a nearby mall, Superbrand. Wifi was available almost everywhere in the hotel at no extra charge. Appreciated that we arrived way before official check in time and the staff was able to find rooms for us.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank lspsl
MO_Pudong, Hotel Manager at Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Dear Ispsl,

Thank you very much for your positive comments about Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai! We are delighted to learn about your appreciation of our high level of service and hotel facilities. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel for another fantastic experience.

London
Reviewed June 16, 2014

The Mandarin Oriental chain has earned its way to the top of of our favourite hotel chains over the years with sumptuous rooms and genuinely superb service. The exterior of the hotel provided a moment of concern, a rather uninteresting glass box slightly removed from the main shopping and business area in Pu-dong. Once inside however, the décor and service were exactly as expected. The check-in was superb, the check-in supervisor mentioned the number of nights I/we have stayed with the Mandarin over the years (short by 300 nights or so!) and then showed me to a room overlooking the river that was simply remarkable. The following morning as I left the breakfast restaurant my waiter handed me a thick black americano in a takeaway cup for my journey to work. It really does not get any better than that...worth every penny.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the river, it is busy 24 hours a day and particularly interesting at nigh...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank LondonFamily88
MO_Pudong, Hotel Manager at Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Dear LondonFamily88,

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed June 14, 2014

I stayed here for 5days and 4 nights for business trip. Nothing I can explain as it was a PERFECT stay. The room is spacious. All staff are friendly, responsive and helpful. And yes, they speak and understand English well, which is a rare thing you find in China.
Breakfast is great, they have a wide range of menu. From western to eastern. They also serve Indian food which I find also a rare thing in China.

The best thing I found in my stay in Mandarin Oriental Pudong is, they know how to keep my breasmilk properly. I am a breastfeeding mom. Since I didn't bring my baby with me, I kept my breastmilk in hotel's kitchen freezer. I called the room service every morning to ask them to pick up my breastmilk and keep it into the freezer. The concierge also helped me alot. They got me the cooler box so I could bring all my frozen express breastmilk home safely for 6hours flight.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business