“Exceptional”

Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai
Ranked #2 of 5,206 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed April 29, 2014 via mobile

Long week end in Shanghai. It was raining which made a great reason to enjoy the room and 24/7 25m swimmimg pool. Location is in Pudong on river but in fast developping area north of TV tower (most other hotels tends to be south) owned by State company Citic. a minivan is available to drop you anywhere in same area (metro, ferry to the bund etc), Our promotion included a Suite with river view (by opposition to city view) which was very nice. We discovered a bottle of wine in the room that was not on the bar menu and after checking with staff they said we could have it. Great F&B options including some tables outside (which obviously we could not use that week end). Would recommend if your budget allows club floor allowing a very nice and quiet full floor lounge (with same choice as breakfast). Most staff great esp club lounge (wow!!) including bellboy (except they could not advance me 40CNY for taxi at arrival from Maglev station - sending me to reception for currency exchange first. Ferry pier next door (great red lighting in the night) to Puxi but not exactly to the bund (need to use minivan to another ferry pier nearby). Truly great 'urban retreat' experience overall. Plenty of events seem to happen given space available

• Stayed: April 2014
MO_Pudong, Hotel Manager at Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Dear NICOLAS N,

Thank you very much for your positive comments about Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai! We are delighted to learn about your appreciation of our high level of service. My colleagues and I look forward to the immense pleasure of welcoming you back to Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai in the not too distant future.

Yours sincerely,

Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,429)

Reviewed April 23, 2014

Simply wonderful , zero complaints , perfect stay in Shangahi - Spacious room with great river view, even bathroom also had huge bathtub and fabulous views -The service is excellent and very helpful and pleasant . I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Sanssoucis13
Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

The best hotel I've stayed in Shanghai ever!!!!! Spacious room with great river view, even bathroom also had huge bathtub and fabulous view. The staffs are pleasant and friendly. I love buffet here. Food was really delicious, so I tried every food although I was in diet.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank ggodoa

Dear ggodoa,

Thank you very much for your positive comments about Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai! We are delighted to learn about your appreciation of our high level of service and hotel facilities. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel for another fantastic experience.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed April 21, 2014

We stayed here for two nights while on vacation in Shanghai. We were on the Club Level. The hotel is perfect! The room is spacious and very comfortable. We had an amazing view of the Pearl Tower. The service is wonderful. I would highly recommend this hotel. The only negative reviews I have read/heard were in regards to the location. It is a 15 minute walk to a subway station and the central shopping areas of Pudong. I found the location to be a positive as its in a quieter area and a bit away from everyone.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank madera99
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Simply one of the best hotels I've stayed at in Asia. Faultless service. Spacious room with great views over the Bund. Bathroom in particular was very impressive, being able to look out over the river from the enormous bathtub. My girlfriend also tells me the toiletries from London were some of the best hotel toiletries she's ever used!

One particular touch I enjoyed - each evening a small snack was brought to the room during turn-down service - egg tarts, char sui puffs, chocolate truffles. All delicious - in particular coming back to discover those egg tarts after a night out was very welcome indeed.

The dim sum restaurant on the lower floor was also excellent. The buffet restaurant however was more average in terms of quality vs. the price.

My only small gripe about this hotel was the location. Because relatively new at the time, most taxi drivers had trouble finding it. There was also a (very) small surcharge on any taxis called from the lobby because the entrance of the hotel is out of the way for taxi drivers. Whilst this was only a few RMB, it would have been a nice touch for the hotel to have this covered with the taxi company instead of the guests.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
MO_Pudong, Hotel Manager at Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Dear Daniel L,

Thank you for staying with us at Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai and we greatly appreciate your detailed feedback which have been shared with our team. In reference to your comment on the hotel location, we are pleased to let you know that the hotel provides complimentary single-way shuttle service within the Lujiazui district for our guests. Apart from the above, I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay with us and greatly appreciate your kind patronage. My colleagues and I look forward to the immense pleasure of welcoming you back to Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai in the not too distant future.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed April 17, 2014

My wife and I stayed here while we were in Shanghai for business last weekend. In the interest of complete disclosure we reserved and stayed in a Club Room with upgraded amenities and access to the Club Lounge with VIP service. We had to coax the cab driver into going “a little further” twice before we found the driveway to the hotel lobby. This was the only negative experience of the weekend. I highly suggest you have the local number of the hotel and encourage your cabby to call once he gets confused, and he will get confused. Once inside our check-in process was smooth and we were immediately invited to enjoy the dinner buffet and free cocktail hour in the club lounge (yes, pay the extra for a Club Room, it is worth it). I have personally had more bad experiences with hotel rooms in China than good, so it is always refreshing to have a positive and clean experience. The room was very clean and all included amenities functioned. A quick note is that you may want help setting up the included clothes iron the night before. In my morning rush to de-wrinkle my shirt I didn’t leave sufficient time to figure out how to use it. The saddest moment was checking out, but my wife hopes to stay here again should business needs allow it.

Room Tip: The hotel is removed from the hustle and bustle of Pudong, very quiet. Ask for a view of the river.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 15, 2014

It is a very nice hotel, but the location is not particularly convenient. The staff were pleasant, but just what I have come to expect from most 5 star hotels in Shanghai. The river view rooms are also pleasant, and have everything that is required. I did like the big screen TV, but I am a channel flicker, and it takes a while for it to change between channels, presumably because of the IP system. The lobby wasn't particularly impressive, and in particularly the location wasn't convenient. I find the quickest way around Shanghai is the subway, and it is a good 20-25 minute walk to the closest stations from the hotel, not especially pleasant walks. I did get a taxi a couple of times with no issues, but with the traffic levels in Shanghai, I found myself wasting a lot of time waiting in traffic. Overall a very pleasant hotel, but I never really felt a wow factor at all, and the location was a negative.

Room Tip: I had a view of the river which was nice.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business