“Flawless service throughout”

Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai
Ranked #1 of 5,146 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed March 3, 2014

The moment my car pulled over to the hotel, the staff threw me the warmest welcome. The checkin process was streamlined, the team, literally everyone exudes pride and quality.

I had to work all Friday in my suite. Watching the ships cruised by during my business Skype calls (very stable wifi) while sipping their in-room Illy coffee and tea left me nothing to complain about. Room service was prompt and they delivered what I've asked for.

Everything in the room is well appointed and of top notch design. The attention to details is unmatchable comparing to other neighbouring same-grade hotel (and I am a fan of Park Hyatt!): in-room laundry pickup window (so the staff can drop off your cleaned garment without interrupting you), audio/HDMI cables with the stationery valet, exquisite tea sets. Not that I use them but it does make me feel special knowing I'm under great hands. O, and I love their Shanghai Tang toiletries as well as their robes (both sleeping and bath robes)

I finally unwind myself in their bathtub with the river view as my backdrop with the tv above me streaming local news. When the lady came in for the turn down service, I do not feel intrusive and I really feel at home. My previous 24-hour traveling exhaustion literally melted away during my stay at MO and I was up refreshed and recharged. The spa treatment on the following day was just as exquisite.

Room Tip: get the club suite!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed March 2, 2014

The Hotel is well run, the rooms are spacious and well appointed and the restaurants are of quality...however the downside is that the location is in the Pudong CBD and as such the area is very quiet and not ideal if you have business in Shanghai which is a twenty minute taxi ride away

Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Laurence J
MO_Pudong, Manager at Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2014

Dear Laurence J,

Thank you for staying with us at Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai and we greatly appreciate your detailed feedback which have been shared with our team. In reference to your comment on the hotel location, we are pleased to let you know that the hotel provides complimentary single-way shuttle service within the Lujiazui district. Apart from the above, I am glad that you had an enjoyable stay and restaurant experience with us. My colleagues and I look forward to the immense pleasure of welcoming you back to Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai in the not too distant future.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

Because this hotel's building is not so big, and around this hotel there is almost nothing but the Huang Pu river, if you aim to enjoy the facilities or neighborhood of this hotel by walk, this is not your choice. You have to take taxis to do everything (shopping, eating, sightseeing, and so on) outside.
But the service is excellent! You'll understand the reason why the Mandarin Oriental Hotels are loved around the world. Each traveller can feel you are the special guest.
This is the first time for me to find that all the corners of the tables in my room are covered by cushionings to protect babies (I had let the hotel know that I would bring a baby by an e-mail in advance.), there was a bathrobe for babies, there was a letter from the staffs, there was a cooky on which my baby's name was written, the most luxurious baby bed I've ever seen was set in my room, and there were so many smiling staffs in the building.
This is an enjoyable moment to stay this hotel.

Room Tip: River view room is recommended.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank 8Shanghai
MO_Pudong, Hotel Manager at Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2014

Dear 8Shanghai,

Thank you for staying with us at Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai and we greatly appreciate your detailed feedback which have been shared with our team. In reference to your comment on the hotel location, we are pleased to let you know that the hotel provides complimentary single-way shuttle service within the Lujiazui district. Apart from the above, I am glad that you had an excellent stay and you especially enjoyed the service here. My colleagues and I look forward to the immense pleasure of welcoming you back to Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai in the not too distant future.

Reviewed February 28, 2014

Absolutely perfect hotel experience. From the minute you enter the serene lobby, the attentive - but never obsequious service will amaze, surprise and delight you. Nothing is too much trouble. And it is done, perfectly first time, every time.

Entering the room in the dark and seeing the view revealed by a triggered reveal of curtains automatically swept aside is actually less corny than it sounds!

The bed is perfect. The linen is perfect. The amenities in the room are perfect. The vanity kits, combs, soaps, lotions and options are perfect. The coffee is great.

Housekeeping can be quietly repressed in their urges to make up the room by the privacy button on the ambient light and curtain control panel.

And how, how will I ever take a bath again without a TV at the foot of the tub?

If I could stay here forever, I would.

PS. Did I mention the food is perfect too?

Room Tip: Ask for a river view. Beautful.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank GranmaEm
Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

What an experience! We have seen and stayed at many deluxe hotels in Europe and the US. I don't pretend to be a worldwide travel expert, but I doubt that a property of this quality can be found. The quality of design and finishings is untouchable. In your room, you might think that you had struck it rich, with the beautiful deluxe appointments. And I mean of residential, not hotel, calibre. The exceptional modern design, executed with skill and top-notch materials, does not forget subtle Asian motifs. It appears that no expense was spared as to large and small matters, down to the most minute detail of high-grade decorative objects.

Definitely book a Club room. The amenities in the Club lounge are astonishing, making the additional cost a laughing matter.

Normally, I'm not prepared to pay for a view. But this one was worth it, our being greeted in our room with a stunning expansive riverside view of old Shanghai.

The room design overcomes my pet peeve with hotel rooms (other than suites). Instead of opening up from the hall directly into the bedroom, there is a small foyer, clearly delineating the front door from the living area.

The service is impeccably attentive.

I hope we have an excuse to come back to Shanghai in order to have the unique experience of staying in this hotel.

Tip: Unless you book a hotel pickup from the airport, ensure that you have the hotel name and address written in Chinese. The cab drivers are not linguists.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BARRY T

Dear CarlbarryToronto,

Thank you very much for your positive comments about Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai! We are delighted to learn about your appreciation of our high level of service, hotel facilities and amenities. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel for another fantastic experience.

Reviewed February 25, 2014

this place is amazing defo recommend the city is amazing, we couldn't believe it when we arrived the value for money was exceptional the food wasn't too good but nevertheless i would still return no problem

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Marlan828
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Staying at the Mandarin Oriental in Pudong is a very relaxing and cathartic experience; from the moment I entered the hotel lobby, I was greeted as an old friend. The staff were very polite, professional and friendly without being overwhelmingly nice.

I was escorted to the Club Lounge for check in, and once there, given a welcome drink of a tantalizingly dry and sweet Riesling. The selection of food they laid out was amazing: from smoked salmon to fresh blueberries and the desserts... oh goodness, the desserts are practically orgasmic!

The room itself was breathtaking: floor to ceiling windows overlooking the Huangpu river; watching the ships cruise by was a great view to wake up to.
The suite was clean and way too comfortable, with a customized welcome-message and snacks waiting for me in the room: for a weary traveler, who had forgotten her iPhone charger, I was pleasantly surprised to find a iPod dock for recharging, as well as various HDMI cables to connect my macbook to the in-room TV should I wish to view movies from my laptop.

The 24-hour pool and gym are absolutely state of the art, with waitstaff in the bathrooms to provide drinks and cold towels (for the sauna and steam room) and a lounge area to just read and enjoy the relaxing spa music. I had great fun with the jacuzzi and enjoyed a really nice water-pressure massage.

If you're a smoker (I am, guilty!) though, this might not be the most convenient place to stay in. While I appreciate that the entire hotel is a no-smoking zone, which is great as the room I stayed in didn't have the musty, lingering smell of stale cigarettes, it was a bit of an inconvenience to have to go out of the hotel lobby to smoke. Fun if you're with a huge group of friends, or with other smokers, but boring and extremely annoying if you're alone.

That being said, MO in Pudong is definitely a place you'll want to stay at for a while; I checked in for a day and left thinking I wish I could stay longer. Definitely a place I'll want to come back to... and never leave.

Room Tip: executive suite is sweet!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank charlleythencharlley
MO_Pudong, Manager at Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai, responded to this reviewResponded March 10, 2014

Dear charlleythencharlley,

Thank you very much for this magnificent review of Mandarin Oriental Pudong, Shanghai! We are most grateful about your appreciation of our facilities and high level of service. Meanwhile, we very much look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.