“Mamahuhu”

Neighborhood: Xintiandi
Shanghai, China
“Mamahuhu”
Reviewed March 1, 2014

I have been here several times as it is close to my apartment. I usually dine alone and get one or two dishes which I felt were not adequate to write a review. However last night I went with three of my friends and we ordered several dishes. I knew from past dining experiences that most of the dishes were overly salted, so when we ordered last night we made it clear that we did NOT want our food overly salted. Unfortunately 9 out of 10 dishes came over salted. When we questioned the waitress she stated this was the way the dish was prepared. In other words the kitchen either did not pay attention to our request or just did not care, either reasons is a bad omen for this establishment. The meat dishes we had (lamb and beef) were both overcooked and tough. The chorizo (spanish sausage) was way too salty, so much so that we could not eat it and sent it away. The black squid ink risotto was over cooked, dry and burnt.
The one bright spot was inexpensive Spanish wine, but this certainly did not compensate for the poor meal and defensive service. As we have multiple choices for very good Spanish tapas, it will be a long time before I go back. I could understand the kitchen having a bad night, but the biggest problem was the wait staff who kept defending the dishes, even though we knew that we were correct. As stated in previous reviews, I eat out approximately 200+ nights a year and the servers taking no consideration of our requests or complaints were the death strike for this establishment in my opinion. Better choices to go to if you are in the mood for Spanish.

• Visited February 2014

Spain
“Traditional style tapas”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

The menu is a little hit and miss, but now that I have my favourites it has become a regular lunch venue! For me, it is a little too casual for dinner. Stones throw from Xintiandi, and for my money, much better than anything on offer there. Not cheap or crazy expensive, but I always rack up the bill by having the jamon, but without it, what's the point?! It is a small place (about 8 tables), service is great, and don't be put off by the lack of Spanish people working there, it is a good alternative to the other, much more expensive Spanish places in town. Open kitchen, decent wine selection (all Spanish and mostly red) and take away available.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Emma1234040
Atlanta, Georgia
“Small but Excellent”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

If you are a tourist in Shanghai, this isn't for you, as you should enjoy the many styles of Chinese cuisine available. But, if you live in Shanghai or visit often, you'll enjoy this chance to visit Spain for just a few hours. Authentic and cozy, with a nice wine list. Take your time, order a few tapas at a time, then add some more. If your budget allows, order the 5J Jamon Iberico. There is a really nice flan to conclude your meal.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Jay T
London, United Kingdom
“Loving this restaurant”
Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

Superb tapas in the heart of Shanghai. It's a small place and always look after us well. Only complaint is that they have taken the rose cava off the wine list!

• Visited April 2013
seattle
“1st to review this small wonderful Spanish tapas restaurant & wine bar”
Reviewed December 14, 2012

What a great find in the ultra cool neighborhood of Xintaindi. We usually try and eat local when we are in China but after hearing about how good the food was here we ventured to try something not Chinese. I think the restaurant name means ham or pig so you need to enjoy the aged pork dish with a bottle of Spanish wine. The manager Vickie is a good friend of a friend and we just let her make recommendations for the best tapas to try as there were just the two of us and also our wine. Needless to say we had very filling evening full of conversation with Vickie who went to school in Chicago and spent time in San Francisco too. Tapas we had included: a very nice tasting plate of prosciutto, toast & tomato, a tasty hot spinach salad, a garlic shrimp dish, a surprising white fish dish, an excellent beef steak cubed dish, and a flavorful crème risotto.

The restaurant is small with about a dozen tables but we were able to get in and have and enjoyable evening. We were so full that we decided to walk back to our hotel and to walk off the wine.

This site has some good pics of the menu. http://www.dianping.com/shop/5996532/photos

• Visited December 2012