“Perfect dishes, good atmosphere, so-so service.”
Review of Henkes

Henkes
Ranked #333 of 17,197 Restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Jing'an
Reviewed January 10, 2014

We went for a dinner without a booking. It was 80% full but we managed to get a table. Food was excellent. We tried deep fried squid, rocket salad and Wagu beef. Nice atmosphere. Service was just ok though.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

Was taken here by a friend who recommended the 800 g steak - excellent choice. Very tender, nicely seasoned and cooked just the way I like it.
Maitre d' looked after us exceptionally well.
I would definitely return to sample the rest of the menu.

Reviewed October 12, 2013 via mobile

Always great veggies & proteins but try the handmade pastas & specials. Max & Stephanie always welcome us and make us feel at home!

Reviewed October 9, 2013

I've been to Henkes before and also Mr. Willis - I've lived in China 15 years. The food was never bad (so-so) but never really good value. The last time we were there we spent about US$500 for 4 of us (2 couples). However, this last time I ate at Henkes in August sealed its fate in my book. I will never ever go there again and if I am going to spend a couple of hundred US dollars on dinner with my wife I can do far better elsewhere. That being said if a complete lunch there was only US$1 I still wouldn't go back.

Our experience at Henkes was awful and this is why:

I ordered a few appetizers to begin with as well as entrees (which we never got to eat). One of the appetizers I ordered was the chicken liver pate. I put a nice smear on a piece of bread and very quickly thought I was going to be ill. It became clear that they buy their chicken livers "entier" and someone did a very bad job of separating the bile sac from the livers during cleaning. The mouthful of pate I ate was as bitter as a mouthful of bile and was truly sickening.

In trying not to be ill, I asked a waiter to speak to the manager. A girl came over who was our waitress and indicated she was the manager. I told her that was not true and she said she was for that Saturday night as the real manager was not there. I tried to explain to her about the serious problem with the pate. I was beginning to feel sicker. Suddenly some lady came over (British or Australian) and announced with authority that she was "friends with the owner" and wanted to know what the problem was - she was incredibly rude. We asked who she was and she just became ruder. We still have no idea whether she works at Henkes or not but we gave her our two cents and just walked out of the restaurant never to return. I was ill outside.

This is no way to run a restaurant. Friendly but incompetent staff is not a formula for success when there is a serious health and sanitary issue. The lack of a real manager on a Saturday is even more of a faux pas - especially when something like this transpires. As to the mysterious woman affiliated with the restaurant, I can only think that someone like her can only help hurt the business than help it.

I would avoid Henkes at all costs because there are so many other restaurants from which one can choose in Shanghai.

3  Thank George H
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Second time round I had dinner in Henkes. Last time it was OK but this time we left disappointed. The ambiance is great and the manager was very welcoming and helpful but overall service is lacking and not attentive. We had to ask for wine refills, water and for the table to be cleared, all in all there were plenty staff but all hanging around the bar chatting with each other. The verdict on food is not much better unfortunately. The appetizer which was a salad of octopus with grapefruit and leaves was tasty and well executed. However the main course - rack of lamb on lentils - a complete disappointment. There was hardly any meat to eat and the huge rack ended up cut and sliced in bits of fat but we left the table with hardly anything eaten, except for the lentils which were tasty. Unfortunately after two tries I am going to go elsewhere as service and food did not live up to the expectations at all which is a shame as the restaurant itself is well designed and pleasing.