“Beautiful property, exceptional service!”

Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund
Ranked #86 of 5,111 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed February 21, 2014

What an impressive experience! The property is beautiful & pristinely maintained. The rooms are spacious, and the view from the Panoramic View room is wonderful. And the enormous bath tub, heated toilet, and special Valentine's Day housekeeping service were nice added touches! And most important, was the service... We had a couple of items where we needed special assistance. The property management staff (Yvonne & Kevin) went out of their way to ensure we were well taken care of and satisfied, up to the minute we departed. I've never had such exceptional service, and we will undoubtedly be back.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
YvonneDeSuner, Manager at Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2014

Dear Ms Stacey,

Thank you very much for staying with us as well as your time writing your feedback!

I have shared your comments with our associates who very much appreciate and will encourage them to keep improving and going over guests expectations.

Please do let me know if you come back again! We will make sure next time is even better!

Yours Sincerely,

There are newer reviews for Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund

Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

The Banyan Tree Hotel in Shanghai was the most pleasant experience we have had in many years. The managers (Kevin Wang & Yvonne De Suner Beltran) and concierges (Henry Cai & Mike Shi) provided very attentive and discreet service during our stay. Kevin (and his staff) went well out of their way to accommodate all of our needs during the stay. And given communication in Shanghai (China) for non-Chinese speaking visitors can be difficult, being cognizant of this, Kevin personally went so far as to ride in the taxi with me to a destination. What hotel does this? I can say from much experience, not many! Very impressive "elite level" service. And...the rooms are extraordinary, by the way :-)

Stayed: February 2014

Dear Mr. Albert,

Thank you very much for your review and your kind words.

I have share your comments with all the hotel staff and i agree with you that Kevin is a real asset to this hotel and company.

We very much look forward to welcome you back very soon!

Thank you for staying with us!

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed February 19, 2014

Here is a recap of our stay on 2014 Feb 15th.

- We requested an earlier check-in a week earlier, but given it was Valentine's Day the day before, we couldn't, which was no problem. However, we didn't get a room until over an hour after the normal check in time.

- I made a booking to afternoon tea a week earlier too, but on the day, I was informed they couldn't find my booking and couldn't get a table because it was fully booked that day. I remembered calling the week before and the gentleman over the phone told me it was ok and booked without asking for any details. I had to ask him if he needed my name, phone number and how many people it was for - then he asked me and recorded it (I hope!) Long story short, we had to go to the Ocean's restaurant for our afternoon tea in the end when others were finishing their lunch.

- We ordered room-service for dinner and placed an order for 2 people (at the same time). The food arrived "on time", but was missing my husband's dinner and the chili sauce for my dish and was told he will bring the remaining items up straight away. My husband's burger didn't arrive 20-25 mins later (together with my chili sauce for my noodles), by that time, I have already finished my dinner. The burger from the first night was also missing the truffle oil - we found out because I ordered the same burger the next day for lunch and it was different to the night before.

- After an overall bad experience, 3 days after check out, I thought I better make sure my 4000 RMB deposit was returned. I contacted the Hotel and was told it has been refunded and that I should check with my bank instead. I went all the way to my bank and was told it wasn't returned. I contacted the hotel again and then was told "I am sorry but we made a mistake. we have now just refunded your money - please check." If I hadn't contacted the hotel 3 days after we checked out, I wouldn't have gotten my 4k deposit back and the only reason I did was because I had so little confident on them doing something right. (In my past international travels and staying at other hotels in Shanghai such as the Mandarin Oriental, Shangri-La, Penninsula, Waldorf Astoria, the Puli just to name a few) I have never asked to confirm if my deposit had been refunded!

The Front Office Manager Michael did offer us an upgrade and greeted us when checking out and apologized for all the mishaps. We thought it was a nice gesture from him. The room with the pool was also amazing but overall, we were very disappointed with the experience and service. I wasn't going to make a fuss about it, but the deposit really pushed it over the line for me.

I hope you understand my frustration!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank HKLouise
YvonneDeSuner, Manager at Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2014

Dear Valued guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you for patience and time reviewing your recent stay with us.

It’s very sad to read your above comment. We apologize for not have maintain our service standards throughout your stay. Please rest assures this case has been shared with the entire team and measures have been taken with the department concerned. I am aware that one of our team members has already contacted you. We truly hope to welcome you back and organize your future stay with us.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Best hotel in Shanghai; that's a quick and straight to the point summary about my stay at this Banyan Tree hotel.

The location (views from the rooms are amazing as you are able to see at the same time, the Shanghai skyline plus their famous Bund), the indoor smell, the balanced architecture, their restaurants, the room layout, furniture, amenities, amazing spa, etc... all ooze quaility... and the very high level one.

But definetly, the kindness and efficiency of the staff it is what makes the difference from the rest of other five stars hotels in Shanghai. Grade A to them, their Banyan Tree training and their management. Please keep the same level and do not lower your guard as rest of five stars' hotel are pushing hard! But as i said: great work so far!!

Hopefully i will return soon to this awesome city hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
YvonneDeSuner, Manager at Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2014

Dear Mr Christian S.,

Thank you very much for staying with us!

We are delighted to hear that you had a pleasant stay. We have shared your comments with our associates to continue encouraging to exceed guest expectations.

We appreciate very much your feedbacks and we hope to welcome you back very soon. Please contact me directly for your next visit; we will make sure your next visit will be even better!

Warm regards,

Reviewed January 29, 2014

i love banyan tree hotels. they have the right balance between modern design without making if feel too cold (like park hyatt pudong). Feels like a spa hotel for sure.

so far, this hotel has the most majestic view of pudong skyline and maybe the best view in shanghai. Waking up every morning puts you in awe and just want to hang out in your room.
the lounge sofa in front of the sprawling window is perfect for relaxing with a drink...or just take a dip in the big tub infront of the window.

best toilet with the latest TOTO hightech bidet toilets and HEATED floors.
great lighting options as well.
amenities are top notch as well...good quality products.
service is very friendly and efficient. The staff takes time to talk to you while you wait for a taxi and are very knowledgeable and a good friendly touch to making the guest feel more at home.too bad the bar was not open yet..but i heard it is amazing....
bed is super comfortable with big pluffy pillows.
they also left fresh fruit every morning, and some souvenir items at night. AMAZING!

ciritiques

1) buffet is not as extensive and is overprice for what you get.
2) location is perfect for the view...but the area is under developed and you need to take taxi to go anywhere. (which might be ok...but most taxis hate going there coz' its not a hotspot to get their next customer)
3) pool is not as cool...would be nice if it was deeper and bigger...or has a view. place feels crowded. (langham xintiandi has a nice indoor pool that is big and deep and spacious)

overall, i would stay here again...i love the view and the rooms. The service of the staff is top notch.
easily in my top 5 hotels in shanghai.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
YvonneDeSuner, Manager at Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

I have share your comments with the concern departments and we have taken noted about the limitations in our breakfast, which we are currently looking into. Regarding the taxis comment as you mentioned we are not located for the moment in a well-known centric area, but we believe it the surronding business area will increase. But this is no doubt that we have a great location to offer all our rooms a unique ambience and view along the Huangpu River.

We have passed over your pool design comments to our design group Architrave for future proyects. Thank you!

We truly hope to welcome you back soon and thank you once again for staying with us and reviewing the hotel.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed January 24, 2014

A very pleasant overall experience. The Hotel is beautifully decorated and designed. The room I stayed in was specious and welcoming. I strongly recommend this Hotel for those in need of relaxation and wishing to stay away from the frenetic city. I do not recall the staff names, but two housekeepers and one front desk agent, particularly left me with a good impression of service and friendliness.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your comments and we all feel very pleased having met your expectations. I have shared your comments with our associates to continue encouraging them; your value feedback are very much appreciated.

We truly hope to welcome you back soon!!

Best regards and thanks again for staying with us!

Reviewed January 19, 2014

The hotel is fairly new and in good condition, excellent design, very modern feel. We were going to have dinner in their restuarant, but there were no other people, not a soul, so we went out. Great views of the river, but its about 20-25 mins walk to the bund, which is probably okay in the summer, but the hotel name is a little decieving and taxi drivers don't know where the hotel is.

1  Thank Qualitycontroller
YvonneDeSuner, Manager at Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Dear valued guest,

Thank you for choosing us and reviewing our property!

We apologize if we had dissapointed you regarding the location of the hotel. We are not located in a yet well-known bund area and we have taken note of your comments regarding the dificulties for the taxi drivers, which we are working on, to continue improving our customer service experience.

Kindly be informed that we do offer complimentary London Taxi service to the bund area, however we do understand that guest might rather reach by foot.

Thank you once again for yout time reviewing our hotel, we very much appreciated. We are all looking forward to welcome you!

Best regards,