“The best in town”

Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund
Ranked #85 of 5,112 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

The location is not idea, to compensate this, you own the very best view overlooking Lu Jia Zui financial district from your room. The room itself is regularly designed but very comfort, with typical Banyan Tree amenities set up. Loved the huge round bathtub!
The staff is extremely attentive, which is rarely seen in any other international hotel chain established in China.
Having stayed in the most of luxury 5 hotels in Shanghai, I would not hesitate to rate Banyan Tree Shanghai the BEST!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank MnicolasM
YvonneDeSuner, Manager at Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Dear Mr. Nicolas,

Thank you very for selecting us and reviewing our hotel.

We are delighted to hear you had a great stay. In Spring we plan to reopen Tops Bar, located at our rooftop, where while enjoying the amazing view we will be offerring afternoon tea menus, tapas or drinks.

Hope to welcome you back very soon and thank you once again!

Best regards,
Yvonne

There are newer reviews for Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund

Reviewed January 6, 2014

Stayed for 3 nights on 2 separate occasions first on the new years day of 2013/12/31 and 2014/01/04 to 2014/01/06. '
If you are looking for a great view of The Bund, this is the hotel to live in as you will be looking straight at the river with great lightings at night and ships going across in the day, relaxing feeling just by sitting by the ceiling to floor windows. and the rooms looks exactly the same as the pictures given which is awesome.
A maintenance issue on the first day i arrive but Manager Li on the night shifts and Manager Michael Yang took care of it in no time at all. They took the time to know me better and making my stay in this Banyan tree a very relaxing one in such a hectic city.
On the top floor of the hotel there sits a bar where you get an overall view of the huang pu river and the bund but it is close for renovations and we were lucky enough to be there as it was open for the count down of the new year. As i love to workout in the gym, this gym has all techno gym equipment and i mean the best where you can find in hotels that are willing to spend this money in the gym equipment. Heard that the spa there was great but didnt get a chance to try it.
Overall Great stay, 5 star hotel 6 star services.

Regards
Sutio

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sutio
YvonneDeSuner, Manager at Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2014

Dear Mr. Sutio,

Thank you very much for staying with us as well as your time writing your feedback!

I have shared your comments with our associates which appreciate very much, especially Michael and Lee. Feedbacks which encourage the team to keep improving guest expectations!

Please do let me know if you come back again (yvonne.yb@banyantree.com)! We look forward to welcome you back very soon!

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed January 6, 2014

A few maintenance issue on the first day i arrive but Manager Li on the night shifts and Manager Michael Yang took care of it in no time at all. They took the time to know me better and making my stay in this Banyan tree a very relaxing one in such a hectic city.
Overall Great stay, 5 star hotel 6 star services.

Regards
Sutio

YvonneDeSuner, Manager at Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2014

Dear Mr Sutio,
Thank you very much for your nice comments, we are delighted to read that you like the hotel and enjoyed our services and facilities. Hopefully next visit you have time to try our award wining Spa!
We all look forward to welcome you back!
Best wishes,
Yvonne

Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

Had planned a room with an ensuite pool as a surprise for my spouse's birthday.

Just the day before check in, I receive an email from the front desk announcing that no rooms with pool are available and offering as an alternative (?) a plain vanilla room at full rate ( I checked at Kayak).

A first request for cancelation goes back, and, to my UTTER surprise, the front desk then comes with an offer to compensate with a nicer room (still no pool), which made me raving mad.

HOW can they just low ball us with a plain vanilla room at full price as plan B, and only when you complain and ask for cancelation because of the major hassle (which it was, I was not chest thumping) can they come with some sort of compensation for a mistake entirely their own?

How can their Front Desk be so naive to only offer some sort of ammendment once the Customer threatens cancellation, and expect to get away with it? The persons responsible for this should face termination.

On reading other recent comments here, Management will need to act promptly on their Front Desk Management to avert disaster, as they seem to be running the hotel as a local kind of place with a premium logo on the door?

STAY AS FAR AWAY AS YOU CAN until the mess is sorted out.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank AntonioShanghai
YvonneDeSuner, General Manager at Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund, responded to this reviewResponded January 4, 2014

Dear Mr. Antonio Villacampa,

It’s very sad to read your above comment, as it was definitely not our intention to remove your from Oasis pool room. We detected a technical breakdown, which we have fixed, and we wanted to avoid a future disappointment during your stay. We truly apologize that our reservation agent didn’t smartly offer you a better package which you would be pleased with, to compensate the fact that you would not be able to enjoy the pool. Please rest assure this case has been shared to the entire team and measures have been taken with the department concerned.

I am aware you are already in correspondence with our associates, we look forward to receive your new travel dates and plan your future stay with us.

Yours sincerely,

Yngvar Stray

Reviewed December 26, 2013

the staff need to be retrain, restaff! almost most of them cant speak English , worst of of the dont care about you or the guest. also the location are hard to find, not even really at the bund . i try their dim sum , though they have many variety the service are not even small local restaurant level ( and they are international hotels ). food took soo long to come out , i go out with some of them not even arrive yet. i complain a few times , and they do nothing but ignore you not even apologize. they dont care if you happy or not , the moment asked for bill 1 minute they come. guess they only care about the money and not the guest or even customer service . i rather go to marriott and have much much much better service, better food and the dim sum are half the price they have here. for me the service here not even worth one or even half star. i have been to many hotels all over the world and this hands down win the worst service hotel ever. not even a great room can save a terrible service from the staff.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank ay12
YvonneDeSuner, Manager at Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your time in writing your review. Our management team, especially our Food and Beverage department, are very concerned after reading your comments. We sincerely apologize for the unpleasant experience you had. I would greatly appreciate to have the opportunity to speak with you directly and obtain further details, so that we fully investigate this incident. Thank you once again for your time and patience.

I may be contacted via email at Yvonne.yb@banyantree.com.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

Before I go on, I must say that the hardware of this property is top notch, everything is well designed and you can tell no expenses, at least in the hardware side, are spared.

It was, however, downright disgusting how the check in staff blatantly lied to me. Everything at check in went well until when the staff was 'hard selling' me into paying a couple hundred bucks to get an ungraded room.

This hard sell included assigning me a room on the lowest floor (3/F) overlooking a construction site (her words) and then saying the rest of the hotel is sold out and occupied. The floor was, btw, on a smoking floor, which was the opposite of what I was guaranteed.

What happened in the next 5-10 minutes after repeated inquiries was that I was offered a same-tier room on the fifth floor (still smoking) and then one on the seventh (non-smoking). Sure, I'll definitely believe that in 10 minutes, 2 rooms miraculously became available.

The service, in general, sucked. Apart from the bell and door staff, no one greeted me while I walked past. While this won't suck if I'm staying at a 1 star property, I definitely expected much, much more from a Banyan Tree.

What a shame.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank mobarnone
YvonneDeSuner, Manager at Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2013

Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your valuable comments and through our guest comment online survey. We sincerely apologize for the unpleasant experience you had upon arrival and I would very much like the opportunity to connect with you directly to further understanding, as your comments seem an acceptable situation which we take very seriously. I look forward to correspond with you.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

This was my second time staying here , and at least my 6th or 7th Banyan Tree. Outside of Shanghai , they are strong on service and close to Aman in the overall experience. This hotel is not up to Banyan Tree standard, The location is kind of out of the way, but if you have a driver no big deal. The view is amazing, the fitout amazing, but the whole staff experience is 3 star. Imagine a totally empty rooftop bar overlooking the Bund that demands a RMB5,000 minimum in order for you to sit in their lounge seats - and then doesn't serve food. Imagine a spa that, when you complain about a massage, mentions that next time "they will give you a professional massage staff." Six phone calls to reception on the romantic pool to find someone with decent enough English to understand my issue., The poor service standards compared to Puli, Peninsula, Hyatt and other Shanghai competitors will kill this (currently deserted) hotel. It's a real shame, as the rooms, with their pools by the windows, are otherwise gorgeous. Shame.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Chandler L, Manager at Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Dear asia6666,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your valuable comments. We sincerely apologize for the unpleasant experience you had and would very much like the opportunity to connect with you directly to further understand your stay with us. We sincerely hope to see you when next trip to Shanghai.

Yngvar Stray