“find othe hotel, worst service ever!”

Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund
Ranked #70 of 5,206 Hotels in Shanghai
Reviewed December 26, 2013

the staff need to be retrain, restaff! almost most of them cant speak English , worst of of the dont care about you or the guest. also the location are hard to find, not even really at the bund . i try their dim sum , though they have many variety the service are not even small local restaurant level ( and they are international hotels ). food took soo long to come out , i go out with some of them not even arrive yet. i complain a few times , and they do nothing but ignore you not even apologize. they dont care if you happy or not , the moment asked for bill 1 minute they come. guess they only care about the money and not the guest or even customer service . i rather go to marriott and have much much much better service, better food and the dim sum are half the price they have here. for me the service here not even worth one or even half star. i have been to many hotels all over the world and this hands down win the worst service hotel ever. not even a great room can save a terrible service from the staff.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank ay12
YvonneDeSuner, Manager at Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your time in writing your review. Our management team, especially our Food and Beverage department, are very concerned after reading your comments. We sincerely apologize for the unpleasant experience you had. I would greatly appreciate to have the opportunity to speak with you directly and obtain further details, so that we fully investigate this incident. Thank you once again for your time and patience.

I may be contacted via email at Yvonne.yb@banyantree.com.

Yours sincerely,

Yvonne De Suner
Rooms Manager

Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

Before I go on, I must say that the hardware of this property is top notch, everything is well designed and you can tell no expenses, at least in the hardware side, are spared.

It was, however, downright disgusting how the check in staff blatantly lied to me. Everything at check in went well until when the staff was 'hard selling' me into paying a couple hundred bucks to get an ungraded room.

This hard sell included assigning me a room on the lowest floor (3/F) overlooking a construction site (her words) and then saying the rest of the hotel is sold out and occupied. The floor was, btw, on a smoking floor, which was the opposite of what I was guaranteed.

What happened in the next 5-10 minutes after repeated inquiries was that I was offered a same-tier room on the fifth floor (still smoking) and then one on the seventh (non-smoking). Sure, I'll definitely believe that in 10 minutes, 2 rooms miraculously became available.

The service, in general, sucked. Apart from the bell and door staff, no one greeted me while I walked past. While this won't suck if I'm staying at a 1 star property, I definitely expected much, much more from a Banyan Tree.

What a shame.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank mobarnone
YvonneDeSuner, Manager at Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2013

Dear valued guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your valuable comments and through our guest comment online survey. We sincerely apologize for the unpleasant experience you had upon arrival and I would very much like the opportunity to connect with you directly to further understanding, as your comments seem an acceptable situation which we take very seriously. I look forward to correspond with you.

Rooms Manager
Yvonne De Suner

Reviewed November 4, 2013

This was my second time staying here , and at least my 6th or 7th Banyan Tree. Outside of Shanghai , they are strong on service and close to Aman in the overall experience. This hotel is not up to Banyan Tree standard, The location is kind of out of the way, but if you have a driver no big deal. The view is amazing, the fitout amazing, but the whole staff experience is 3 star. Imagine a totally empty rooftop bar overlooking the Bund that demands a RMB5,000 minimum in order for you to sit in their lounge seats - and then doesn't serve food. Imagine a spa that, when you complain about a massage, mentions that next time "they will give you a professional massage staff." Six phone calls to reception on the romantic pool to find someone with decent enough English to understand my issue., The poor service standards compared to Puli, Peninsula, Hyatt and other Shanghai competitors will kill this (currently deserted) hotel. It's a real shame, as the rooms, with their pools by the windows, are otherwise gorgeous. Shame.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Chandler L, Manager at Banyan Tree Shanghai On The Bund, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Dear asia6666,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your valuable comments. We sincerely apologize for the unpleasant experience you had and would very much like the opportunity to connect with you directly to further understand your stay with us. We sincerely hope to see you when next trip to Shanghai.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

This is truly a beautiful hotel with stunning view of the bund from guest rooms. The rooms are so well appointed with quality decor and hi-tech in room facilities. Bathroom is really one of the best in town. Bath tub is huge and you can enjoy the bund view while bathing. The large sofa along the window is another plus. It's so relaxing just to lie there and enjoy. We love the little gifts placed on bed after the turn down service. And the essence oil is a highlight (in fact, good to leave a couple of candles in the room as it burns out fast).

Staff in general are ok but somehow they are not as courteous as other top end hotels in town. But the staff who provides guest service by phone are exceptional. Every request is taken care efficiently. Cleaning ladies are also very nice but usually they are being forgotten in compliments.

With the Banyan tree brand, I expect high food quality. But to my disappointment, though breakfast spread is good, quality isn't there. Coffee, juice, fruit, food items are well presented but taste-wise, is so average that definitely below 5 star. And I suggest the room service hour to extend after 11 p.m. as most hotels do.

Another suggestion is to open a Thai restaurant like Bangkok & Bintan Saffron. Always confident with Thai food from Banyan Tree.

In all, the hotel possess the best hardwares (beautiful room, stunning view, high-end facilities...etc), you have the potential to become the best in town. Just a little more training to your fairly new team and focus more on providing high quality of food (the taste of a grape can tell a difference).

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank HJKHongKong

Dear HJKHongKong,

Thank you very much for your valuable comment to us. Hopefully we could bring you a memorable experience. Banyan Tree Shanghai On the Bund is a unique venue to unwind and to recharge your senses. With room sizes among the largest in the city and with unparalleled views of Huangpu River and the Pudong skyline, this urban resort is truly a retreat for body and soul. We have taken note of your comments with breakfast and will review our offerings in our quest to constantly improve our guest experience. Thank you again for your feedback and hope to see you back again soon.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Very calm relaxing hotel with amazing views form the roof top bar. Shame they feel they have to make it a health hazard with the neon blue lights on the floor. Location is a bit isolated and to be honest, the taxis do not know where it is.

The staff are a different matter, they stand playing on their phones rather than serving and when when you arrive to collect a guest , you are manhandled to a seating area and told to wait there( like a naughty school boy) .

I only visited as a conference guest then having drinks with some of our Senior managers who were staying so cannot comment on the "living in" services.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear CJC-shanghai,

Firstly thank you so much for visiting us and sharing your valuable feedback of our facilities and services which I have shared with all my Managers in order to consistently improve on our guest service delivery and experience. We look forward to welcome you back for your next visit.

Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

I have been traveling to china for 20 years- HK, shanghai, Guangzhou, Suzhou etc. Hands down my favorite - better the peninsula or intercontinental in HK. Impeccable service, rooms, spa, everything. Location is only drawback depending on where you need to be but worth it. Highly highly recommended

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this resort atmosphere hotel for two night after Regent Beijing.

On my very first steps to the hotel, I was treated well by the essential oil and hotel welcome drink. This revoked me up after hours flight and delay at the airport. Only few minute later, my room was ready. It was absolutely the best hotel room I have ever experienced.

The room is very spacious, high-equiped with modern amenities. High technology is every of my foot-step throughout the room; from the restroom, in bathroom mirror TA to the automated window shield. But the biggest impress is the ceiling to floor window offers the panoramic view to the Bund and the Yangtze river. The iconic Shanghai Television Tower is just in front of me. That was a the most true Shanghai scenery ever. I was so hungry so the welcome fruits and welcome chocolate were very enjoyable.

The breakfast was good. I love every kind of dumpling and theones which were served here were very delious. They also introduced daily Chinese specialities and the juice station was another highlight. It was beyond my expectation.

On the service line, it was a wow. Frankly speaking, I did not see many hotel staffs around me like other hotels I have ever stayed in Shanghai but I was a big surprise that seemed everything was ready for me. The turn down service was extremely excellent. Once I got back the room aftet outside dinner, the room was very fresh. The night essential oil was on the air, the background music, window shade was closed, the slipper wardrobe and cute gift were on the right place, and many details things I could not list down here but I still felt. It was a very detailed service. For the next day, I received a different turn down gift that made me want to extend one more day to check out what is the next one for me. Small things were given but it was so exciting.

I stayed here for an event in the afternoon and evening but I was very silly at every morning. I actually did not want to get out the room; only feel to lie on the comfortable bed and looking for the amazing view from my window. The ambience here was so distinctive.

One thing you should not be missed here. Come to the top floor for the TOPS bar. Even you have ever seen, walked or touched the Bund, I am sure that the best scenic Shanghai skylinen is from here. There were some led kites flying in the sky that brought me the best Shanghai night experience ever.

To be honest, on the way commuting to the hotel, I thought that this hotel location is not really ideally but when I actually stayed and tried, I understood why they had chosen this kind of place to rise the hotel. It is a green and peaceful corner and somewhere around but very near the heart of Shanghai. It is hard to say or write down. It is a kind of distance but meanless, far but close. It is just in a right place, a place to be. I absolutely stay again this hotel for my coming trip.

Thanks hotel team for the touching service and a good life experience for me this time!

• Stayed: September 2013