“Pleasantly surprised” 4 of 5 bubbles

G Water Front
Ranked #423 of 16,842 Restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Delivery, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: South Bund
shanghai
“Pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2013

A sunday, 6.30pm.We entered via the Bund side, into the bar area downstairs, it was dark and not a soul in there, so we were shocked to go upstairs and almost every table was full. The smell was delicious. We had no entrees, had a prawn curry and a chicken curry, (sorry can't remember the names as not familiar, I usually have a madras or rogan gosh but this must be a food from a different region of India) and the aloo gobi. The portions were smallish, and only five small pieces of chicken, but the flavours were divine,and the medium spicy was just right. The naan was delicious, crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. The rice was expensive, next time we will skip the rice and just have naan. Came to 400 RMB including two beers, (which is what we would pay back in NZ ) but this was more flavoursome, and with a view of the river.
We will go back and try the kebabs next time.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Expensive for what they provide”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

This place definitely does not deserve the kind of reviews that it has gotten. The food is surprisingly ordinary. Considering Shanghai is one of the biggest cities in China, the Indian food here is definately not upto the mark.

Very good opportunity for someone to start a authentic Indian restaurant here.

My Chinese customers found it very difficult to eat with a fork and knife. upon requesting the staff to provide chopsticks, they said that it was not in Indian tradition to eat with chopsticks.

On the flip-side, there is another Indian restaurant called masala art (the worst indian restaurant ever). so to choose from the two I would pick G water front.

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Gaurav K
“A nice surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

Nice restaurant, I had no expectations wlaking into an Indian restaurant in the middle of Shanghai, but food was very good. Service could and should have been moreattentive though - had to wait for some time to get to our table (despite reservation). Dishes and quality of food made up for that, nice appetizers, very good prawns, chicken curry, great almond ice cream dessert.

Visited April 2013
Cork, Cork, Ireland
“Great view but great food????”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

I attended this restaurant on Saturday last and was looking forward to introducing some Shanghainese people to the wonderful Indian cuisine. They selected the G Water Front so I was very enthusiastic to make comparisons to Indian food I've eaten elsewhere around the world. The first thing that caught my attention was the wonderful view onto the river. From there it went downhill. The first point was that the waiting service (the person who took our order was very pleasant) was diabolically slow to the extent that food was served cold to the table. Now I don't care who you are but the one thing you do not do is serve lamb cold because it typically congeals! I found the food lacked in flavor and the only dish that was worthy of mention where the Fish Pakora's. Four cone shaped poppadums were provided for nine people and were laughably small. Not only this but no mango chutney was served or mint raita. Instead there was some terrible sweet yogurt concoction that I have never eaten at an Indian before. We were seated at a table beside a projector screen that was switched on to sport when we arrived - a third of the way into the meal the sport switched to a documentary about people scavenging for garbage on a rubbish team. It wasn't conducive to eating and after some frantic searches to find someone we had it turned off! I will say that the food was quite cheap but I'd rather pay good money for good food. I do notice that my review is at odds with other people's review - perhaps we were highly unlucky and hit the restaurant on a bad night. However the point is that a good restaurant never has a bad night!!

• Visited April 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Johneric L
Guntur, Andhra Pradesh, India
“Good Indian food with good ambiance”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

we had dinner in G water front @ The Bund, Shanghai. perfectly north indian menu with roti, chiken and fish. It is very near to The Bund. taste of food is very good. clean and neat wash rooms.

Visited February 2013