“Best dim sums ever!”

Din Tai Fung (Nanjing West Road)
Ranked #19 of 17,329 Restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: Street Food
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Jing'an
Reviewed June 20, 2014

I've been in many restaurants which serve dim sums, but this one was the best with dim sums. The choice is very big, tried mostly all them and all are really good. My favorite was with shrimps. The place is really popular with non Chinese and it's better to reserve a table if you go after 6 pm.

1  Thank Ivan S

Reviewed June 18, 2014

The dumplings were delicious, not the best I've had in shanghai but very tasty. If you want great dumplings and noodles in shanghai book the Un Tour companies oodles of noodles tour. Jamie is an outstanding tour guide. The service is fast . Worth a try, they are all over Asia so if you miss in one city, the next city is sure to have a restaurant there.

1  Thank Mutton1023
Reviewed June 17, 2014

Should be spelt "Din Tai Fung"

I had a great time at this restaurant and was surprised by how many non-Chinese were there.

Probably one of my favorite places to get my fill of xiaolongbao (soup dumplings). The servers were attentive and food came out relatively fast. They also proudly advertise that Tom Cruise was there.

Make sure you get there early or book a table in advance as it gets quite busy around 7pm.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

It's not easy to eat alone in a Chinese restaurant! But I peered in and saw that indeed, it can be done. I sat down, ordered my favorite fish soup and a spread of exquisitely-prepared dumplings, and took half of them home to my husband, who came home late from lecturing at Fu Dan. Happy all over again! Thank you, Ding Tai Fung, for making our stay so delicious! Our favorites were the wild mushroom, and the sweet red bean and sesame creations.

Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

I have not heard of this chain, and when I was asked to go there for dumplings I was thinking: dumplings in Shanghai? It's like coal in Newcastle. Of course, these are not just dumplings. I had truffle infused meat dumplings, chicken dumplings, and hairy crab over lightly steamed asparagus. Well, I am not going to do an Andrew Zimmern impression, but, everything was outstanding. The hairy crab didn't seem that hairy, but, it wasn't offensive--try it just to say you have. The dumplings are really outstanding, the dough was thin, but, strong enough to encapsulate a sip of juice, the meat tender and fragrant, while the presentation was as basic as at any other other dim sum venue. The space is clean, well appointed and the service, which may be a problem in Shanghai was perfect. Located near a Starbucks on the Ritz Carlton property, it is fairly easy to find. A great lunch spot if you are on the way to the Tom Ford boutique next door.

1  Thank ygray