“Amazing all the way around!”
Review of Mercato

Mercato
Ranked #14 of 17,012 Restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: The Bund
Description: Mercato is a new coastal Italian restaurant from celebrated three Michelin star Chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten and Three on the Bund. The gorgeous space created by Neri&Hu, bridges the organic and natural with elegance and emotive modernity. The experience begins from the moment guests enter Mercato's stylishly rustic surroundings. Reclaimed wood and warm leather tones serve as a gentle complement to the exposed steel, iron and glass to create an atmosphere that is polished yet warm and inviting. The design imparts a sensual feeling of comfort and lightness that redefines the idea of "farm chic". Mercato's decidedly simple and understated approach represents a refreshing addition to Shanghai's dining scene. The relaxed sophistication, addictive cuisine, and friendly, thoroughly unpretentious service paints a picture of Italian life as it should be experienced in its purest form.
Shanghai
“Amazing all the way around!”
Reviewed May 16, 2014

I've eaten at many "Bund" restaurants. Many are good or nice, but none have ever left me feeling like they were worth every "Yuan"…Mercato, however, did! From the moment I stepped off the elevator its unique rustic yet chic and classy decor was warm and inviting, yet creative and refreshing! The Hostess was organized, polite and kind. (With great English skills). The decor of the whole restaurant continued from the lobby with the rustic warm classy charm…although a more interesting and complex as you moved through. Unique Glass bottles suspended from metal shelving, original wood plank floors, warm lighting, comfortable modern chairs, potted herbs at each table and on window ledges. The whole feeling was so inviting I didn't want to leave! Ok the FOOD! AMAZING! It's a Jean George restaurant so I knew it would be good. But I was blown away from the first bite of Homemade Ricotta and Strawberry on buttery toast…a complimentary plate of croquets were brought out, again AMAZING! Although this is not a "family" restaurant, it was perfectly fine for our kids with plenty of tasty menu choices. The WoodFired Pizza was excellent (and they were very accommodating to make the pizza and spaghetti to our kids liking). The salmon was fresh and cooked to perfection! My husband had the Sea Bass I believe and I didn't even get a bite he loved it so much he wouldn't share! The desert Choices were excellent as well. I can't remember what we had (but it was Chocolate) but it was top notch, fresh and unique in a filo dough shell. Our kids had homemade Gelato…I had to try some again, spectacular! Above our expectations! We will be returning very soon!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank ppour

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
“The best restuarant of my trip”
Reviewed April 24, 2014

Id been looking forward to visiting Mercato and I wasn't disappointed. The overall feel was cosy yet stylish. We were immediately seated ( we had a reservation) to a part couch table and it was lovely. Truly amazing food, the home made ricotta was the best Ive ever tasted. Great wine and cocktail list would definitely go back. Fantastic

Sutton, United Kingdom
“Great steak”
Reviewed April 22, 2014

First trip to shanghai and a business friend to me and my colleagues to mercato for an evening meal
Kale pizza was to die for and the steak was cooked to perfection. We had a great experience and I would love to share it with my partner in the future.

1 Thank dric3974
Taichung, Taiwan
“Bustling restaurant on the Bund with a rustic industrial feel and great Italian dishes..”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

If you want a ringside seat on one of the world's most famous boulevards that also serves fantastic continental Italian then you cannot go wrong with Mercato. The ambiance is very up to date with a re work of a former factory site that preserves its iron and steel interior enhanced by beautiful woods and turn of the century electric lighting. The menu is extensive and high quality so everyone should find something to like. The wine list is deep and inviting but watch the prices...you are in the center of Shanghai and money is no object to the moneyed patrons of this establishment. We dined on appetizers such as grilled Octopus ( juicy and tender, not hard and rubbery), salmon tartare, and raw french oysters...mains included a shared bone in ribeye, lobster ravioli and Cesar salad....everything very nice..back soon for more. don't get put off by the Chinese tradition of waving for a waiter...while American waiters find this rude...Chinese waiters will usually not approach unless you signal them...

Shanghai, China
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nice place to meet”
Reviewed April 16, 2014

We were entertaining Chinese business partners and were recommended to eat at Mercato.

Good food, busy and lively.

Fashionable location by the Bund.

Visited April 2014