“Disappointed by the "Commercil Spirit"”
Review of Mercato

Mercato
Ranked #17 of 17,197 Restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: The Bund
Description: Mercato is a new coastal Italian restaurant from celebrated three Michelin star Chef Jean-Georges Vongerichten and Three on the Bund. The gorgeous space created by Neri&Hu, bridges the organic and natural with elegance and emotive modernity. The experience begins from the moment guests enter Mercato's stylishly rustic surroundings. Reclaimed wood and warm leather tones serve as a gentle complement to the exposed steel, iron and glass to create an atmosphere that is polished yet warm and inviting. The design imparts a sensual feeling of comfort and lightness that redefines the idea of "farm chic". Mercato's decidedly simple and understated approach represents a refreshing addition to Shanghai's dining scene. The relaxed sophistication, addictive cuisine, and friendly, thoroughly unpretentious service paints a picture of Italian life as it should be experienced in its purest form.
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I've been to Mercato few times already... The place is well designed even though tables are to close one from another (the first time I preferred to seat at the bar as I was feeling to have a romantic dinner with the people behind).

The food is usually really good and you can especially their pizzas (looks strange to order pizzas in a high end restaurant) but the crust is made beautifully.

I have not mentioned a waiter named Louis which was exceptional as well (really helpful)

This being said I have been quite disappointed on my last visit. I have not mentioned but the restaurant is a bit expensive and:

* Prices are +15% (which is unusual in Shanghai) and I consider this "Cheap" from the management
* We had a nice dinner with approx 700 CNY per head (we knew this before coming), went to the bar and ordered Limoncello... We had several glasses and ended up with a bill of 350 CNY per pax (:()

OK, well, we know we were going to a fancy place which is not cheap... We asked the barman to offer a glass as I think this is the least he could do in such occasion and the guy simply refused.

Bye Bye Jean Georges !

Reviewed December 22, 2012

My wife and I had the pleasure of dining at Mercato. Congratulations to Jean George's on a well designed and beautifully appointed restaurant. The restaurant was full however the staff in general appeared to deliver a professional and efficient level of quality service.
Then there was the food.
I ordered the Fritto Misto seafood, the calamari was well overcooked and rubbery and the spicy Anchovy dip that accompanied the dish was far to spicy and overpowered the subtle flavour of the seafood and fish pieces. I then ordered the Seared Sea Scallops, Lemon cauliflower sauce with fried onions, garlic and capers and unfortunately it was also very disappointing. The dish had a thick white sauce but was also swimming in oil, was too heavily flavoured with lemon, the scallops were nicely seared but relatively small in size and again overpowered by a sauce that competed with the delicate flavour of the scallops and really didn't complement the dish.
My wife ordered the wood oven roasted asparagus, Fontina and wrapped in Prosciutto where the dish was OK. She also had the Parmesan risotto with wild mushrooms and again that was OK but certainly nothing special. The freshly baked bread and the coffee were very good.
In summary, a very well appointed and beautifully designed restaurant but based on the dishes we tried, there is some serious room for improvement.
I am a big fan of Jean Georges restaurant, but unfortunately was not impressed with the food at Mercato

Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

After have several friends reccomand me this restaurant i decide to book table,I chose few dishes from a la carte ..first arrive bread 2 kind of type one still frozen another one look breakfast bread in cheap 3 star hotel ,starter is wrong order by waiter but we still keep on table taste so so ..food look no Italian no Mediterranean no American...what is ???! Pizza is joke really heavily and undercooked full of garlic taste not really what's i expect , meat ribs is really sweet for main course instead skip dessert I take couple of dessert ..really heavily again and tasteless., check is 350 USD what's in USA or Europe can be price for true Michelin stars restaurant ...I will forget about this place for sure in Shanghai still many other better choose !!

Reviewed December 11, 2012

One of the best places I have been in Shanghai. The setting is very nice, the food is good and service was great. I would definitely go back.

Reviewed December 9, 2012 via mobile

I recently had dinner at the Mercato- 3 on the bund which is from the same chef as the ABC kitchen in new York, so thought it was worth a try.
I have to say for a Sunday it was still buzzy, and quite full.
The food was great, I had the ricotta with cranberry compote with toasted bread to staart and a pizza for my main and my colleague had the crusted salmon.
All of the food was very lovely presented and tasted great... This was a posh pizza and not your run of the mill Pizza, but still quite a generous serving.
The translation to the waiters was a little tricky (even tho the menu is in English) but she only got the drinks orders wrong and then corrected them straight away.
Would definitely recommend again!
Plus check out the lovely glass bottles and lighting decking this place out, it looks lovely! Would defo come back.
Price wise pizza was only £14 and the starters £9, wine was pricey at £67 for a bottle but worth every penny, and there were cheaper wines to choose from so it's your own call how pricey you make it!
Make sure you try it for yourself.. Oh and make a reservation in advance, this place can book up!