“Good but perhaps not the BEST”

Ding Tai Fung (Yuyuan Garden)
Ranked #196 of 16,962 Restaurants in Shanghai
Cuisines: Street Food
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town
Derby, United Kingdom
“Good but perhaps not the BEST”
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I did like the dumplings here but I feel they were perhaps overhyped. I feel far cheaper, tastier dumplings can be found around Shanghai, but I suppose it is all a matter of taste (I prefer dumplings with vegetables and less 'juice'). I would not have queued very long for this place, and the service was not brilliant as it took us quite a while to get a soup dumpling.

Visited February 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Charlottesville
“Excellent xiolong bao”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

We had an excellent lunch - the dumplings were incredible - especially the steamed pork and the shrimp/pork/sitcky rice. But the hot and sour soup, sticky pork buns, green beans and fried rice were all delicious as well.

Our server was incredibly friendly and professional and we found the whole experience easy, seamless and fun. So glad we went.

• Visited January 2014
Sydney, Australia
“Great Again!”
Reviewed January 18, 2014

We went here a few days after eating at Ding Tai Fung in Xiantandi and found it presented the same outstanding quality of food and exceptional service.

Visited October 2013
Melbourne
“Go here... if you want the worst experience of your life!!!!”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

Visited here for a last meal in china before flying home.

The two foot long hair in the broccoli should have been enough to send us on our way, but with a checkout and long cab ride to the airport ahead, we persisted. After waiting for over 30 minutes for our dumplings to come, we finally received them.

We were underwhelmed with the taste and cost but the true shock came 6 hours later as our plane levelled out somewhere over the east china sea....

what came next was 12 hours of absolute horror as our bodies tried to purge all remnants of those fateful mushroom dumplings out of whatever orifice they could.

So please trip advisor... allow zero stars or better yet negative stars as this is the only meal that cost me not only 397 RMB but 6 kg of my and my wife's body mass and made an entire Boeing 777 a very unpleasant place to be. Even typing the word mushroom still makes me want to be ill.

• Visited December 2013
2 Thank gibbo623
Oslo
“Great place for lunch”
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Love the service, the food and the environment. My husband is a loyal fan to this place. They have own kit for the kids which we highly appreciate. Not the cheapest but definitely amongst the most popular and best for tourists.

Visited December 2013